cholesterol

Options
mstorvik
mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
Ugh. I donate blood every two months... I used to be in 150... then after 1 month of low carb high fat I went to 179... Got my lipids done and all my ratios were great - numbers went up, but they were still great.

Now I am at 207 two months later... and my regular doc acted like I don't need bloodwork for a long time (2 years). But I kinda want to get it run. Ugh.

Thoughts? I'm not going to freak too much, because it's barely over 200.... but am I just brainwashed that this might be bad?
All the males in my family died of heart attacks, but they were due to smoking - and I quit that 1.5 years ago....

Replies

• mstorvik
    Options
    BTW, I know this thread gets beat over and over... I was trying to find my old thread to no avail. :/
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    http://diaryofalegaldrugdealer.com/the-great-cholesterol-myth/

The fact that statins, brand names Crestor, Lescol, Lipitor, Mevacor, Pravachol, Vytorin, and Zocor, are not the heart disease preventing wonder drugs that drug companies want physicians and the public to believe is not the worst of it. Both men and women with the lowest cholesterol levels died earlier of all causes, including cardiovascular events.

The death rate was 5 times higher for elderly women with very low cholesterol in a French study reported in the medical journal Lancet.

A 15-year study of several European countries included 149,000 men and women and found low cholesterol was significantly associated with increased all- cause deaths.

I've never had a blood test, as long I have blood I am happy.

I wouldn't sweat the numbers, seriously.
  • mstorvik
    Options
    http://diaryofalegaldrugdealer.com/the-great-cholesterol-myth/

The fact that statins, brand names Crestor, Lescol, Lipitor, Mevacor, Pravachol, Vytorin, and Zocor, are not the heart disease preventing wonder drugs that drug companies want physicians and the public to believe is not the worst of it. Both men and women with the lowest cholesterol levels died earlier of all causes, including cardiovascular events.

The death rate was 5 times higher for elderly women with very low cholesterol in a French study reported in the medical journal Lancet.

A 15-year study of several European countries included 149,000 men and women and found low cholesterol was significantly associated with increased all- cause deaths.

I've never had a blood test, as long I have blood I am happy.

I wouldn't sweat the numbers, seriously.

I think they've brainwashed me to worry. I keep saying to myself, "Heart disease is because of inflammation... and I take fish oil!" HAHA!

Going to read this tonight, too:
    http://livinlavidalocarb.blogspot.com/2007/03/cholesterol-confusion-and-concerns.html
  • mstorvik
    Options
    Hmm... wondering about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantethine
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I donate blood every two months... I used to be in 150... then after 1 month of low carb high fat I went to 179... Got my lipids done and all my ratios were great - numbers went up, but they were still great.

Now I am at 207 two months later... and my regular doc acted like I don't need bloodwork for a long time (2 years). But I kinda want to get it run. Ugh.

Thoughts? I'm not going to freak too much, because it's barely over 200.... but am I just brainwashed that this might be bad?
    All the males in my family died of heart attacks, but they were due to smoking - and I quit that 1.5 years ago....

There is a true method to the mad thinking process when reading labs.... Doctors dont truly look at the Total Cholesterol reading... They look at the actual breakdown:

HDL (Good cholesterol)
    LDL (BAD cholesterol - L for lousy)
    Triglycerides (this is the number that references risk of atherosclerosis, heart attack, stroke)
    CHO ratio
    A1c - (Diabetes reading)
    FBS - (Blood sugar)

The HDL informs the clinician just how active you are via activities, exercise, etc.
    The LDL informs the clinician of the food choices you are making, and also as it decreases, that means you are an active person
    The Triglyceride is a definite reading for your food choices and also may outline some concerns of how your body digests foods, from a GI perspective.

The CHO ratio - here is a great easy to understand format: http://www.labtestingdirect.com/test-kits/item/?pid=693

A1c - to get an accurate reading, the person must have a steady dietary intake for this reading to give an accurate picture. This will indicate how much of a risk we are in to developing Diabetes.

FBS - fasting blood sugar.

All of these factors are taken into consideration provided the patient has fasted for 12-14 hours. That will give the most accurate reading for all of these levels.

mstorvik - I hope this helps
  • mstorvik
    Options
    Yep. That's what sucks... the stupid thing they give me is only TOTAL ... I'll probably have my bloodwork done again.

In the meantime, I am adding broccoli and more fiber into my diet and increasing my fish a little :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Yep. That's what sucks... the stupid thing they give me is only TOTAL ... I'll probably have my bloodwork done again.

In the meantime, I am adding broccoli and more fiber into my diet and increasing my fish a little :)

ohhhhhhhh I would definitely be saying "what are the individual readings of that CHO?" Can they mail you a copy of your recent labs so you can see for yourself?

No wonder you are concerned with just the total number reading!
  • mstorvik
    Options

ohhhhhhhh I would definitely be saying "what are the individual readings of that CHO?" Can they mail you a copy of your recent labs so you can see for yourself?

No wonder you are concerned with just the total number reading!

Nope. They don't give you the breakdown since it's just the blood donation place. BUT I saw they will do it once a year for free for me, so after the next donation (in two months) if it rises more, I am going to nab that freebie. :)

When it jumped 30 I went to my doc, who basically told me that I have nothing to worry about (total was 179). She then reminded me we won't need to do it again until 2 years from now. I told her I was low carbing ... and she didn't say anything negative, but she didn't really say anything positive. I don't think she understands... oh well. That or she doesn't think cholesterol is an issue. (Although at 179, who would??)

When I got that report, everything but tri's went UP. Including LDL... but only by a little.

I think I get all confuzzled because I read conflicting stuff Is cholesterol all bunk? The males in my family all died from heart attacks, but however they smoked. It was the big factor. My father quit 20 years ago but has high cholesterol and is Lipitor. Can one's cholesterol be high and they have no risk? Is that Big Pharma just trying to get money? Or does it really matter and am I killing myself with low carb. I read one story about someone's uncle low carbing, losing weight, and then ended up needing bypass surgery. Yikes!

I know 209 is nothing to really worry about.... but my numbers have jumped SIXTY points in 3 months. If they jump 60 more... then I feel like then it's a big deal... but then I go in that circle... is it really? Do people die from inflammation, not cholesterol?

It's one big hot mess. I wish I could find one source and fully understand it... but alas... I don't think I will.

Thanks for listening to all that - HA!
  • SmoothP
    SmoothP Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Total cholesterol is a near worthless number. In fact, probably worse than useless in your case since you're stressing over it.

If your number is bothering you and you want to learn more, read The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, specifically chapter eight. Then get some quality bloodwork done with proper breakdowns.
  • mstorvik
    Options
    Total cholesterol is a near worthless number. In fact, probably worse than useless in your case since you're stressing over it.

If your number is bothering you and you want to learn more, read The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, specifically chapter eight. Then get some quality bloodwork done with proper breakdowns.

I am going to buy that book!!
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options

I agree with your first sentence. However, I understand stressing over it because there's enormous pressure to go on statins. It can be hard to have the courage to stand up to someone with an expensive medical degree.

It could be a temporary rise. I've heard of cholesterol going up with diet change and then leveling out when you become accustomed to it.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I just got mine done, and I eat tons of fat, bacon, eggs, red meat cheese etc etc.

Total 126
    TRI 63
    LDL 91
    HDL 22(genetic, can't fix it even with meds)

Normal total is 100-200. You are just outside of the upper normal for total and may have a high HDL which is good.