Feeling light headed

Options
blueimp
blueimp Posts: 230 Member
I'm new to glucose monitoring and am trying different things to get the numbers own. For dinner I had chicken breast, asparagus, and Brussels sprouts. Fresh strawberries to finish.
First time in quite a while no starchy carbs. A little less than 2 hours later, I felt quite light-headed. Took BS reading and it was high, 151, at least for this time of day. I thought dizzy would be low.
Can not eating starchy carbs cause this? Is this weird?

Replies

• Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It seems strange. Have you eliminated other possible causes for the light-headedness? i.e. overall fatigue, your total calorie intake for the day, any unusual exercise today? I've never heard of skipping carbs for one meal making someone feel ill (except a friend who's hypoglycemic, but that certainly doesn't apply!), but then again, we're each unique.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I'm also guessing unrelated. Sometimes people get hypo symptoms with normal readings because their body isn't used to normal but way too high. You seem to have a lot of normal readings though so I don't think your body is in shock at your current BG. Maybe you're tired? Did you drink enough water? Did you eat enough cals? Sometimes I get that way right before I come down with something. Hope that's not the case.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Just thinking could your BP be off?
  • blueimp
    Options
    Maybe you're tired? Did you drink enough water? Did you eat enough cals? Sometimes I get that way right before I come down with something. Hope that's not the case.

Yes, this reading doubled as bedtime reading. I think so; 16 (equiv) glasses of water, 1343 calories. I hope not too!
    Slightly shorter walk, insignificant difference.
    Thanks.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    If your body is used to high BG readings and 151 is much lower for you then you will have hypo symptoms until your body gets use to lower numbers. Also, you could be going through "starchy carb" withdrawal. Trust me, it's real.

I am on a very low carb diet to control my BG. Dizzy for me means I'm not taking in enough salt. But that wasn't a concern until long after I went through the carb withdrawal and the lower-BG dizzies.
  • blueimp
    Options
    I've been lo carb (80-115) for more than a year Laura, don't think it was that. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Wheelie_UK
    Options
    I'm new to glucose monitoring and am trying different things to get the numbers own. For dinner I had chicken breast, asparagus, and Brussels sprouts. Fresh strawberries to finish.
    First time in quite a while no starchy carbs. A little less than 2 hours later, I felt quite light-headed. Took BS reading and it was high, 151, at least for this time of day. I thought dizzy would be low.
    Can not eating starchy carbs cause this? Is this weird?

Hi,
    151 (8.5) at 2hrs is not overly high, and, at least for me, would not be worrying 2 hours after the main evening meal. (My largest meal is usually the evening meal. If you are the same then this is not that abnormal). Did you test the BS an hour later? That should give a much clearer indication of the underlying cause of the BS being at that level.

As for the dizziness. It is most associated with low BS. However, (Although I doubt applicable in this case) if the level were EXTREMELY high, OR raised VERY quickly (More likely) then you can get the same effect. If you have any liver problems or blood pressure issues, this would increase the likelihood.

Looking at what you ate (These are approximate figures depending on variety and brand)

Strawberries have 6g Sugar and 6g Carbs per 100g. Sugar might well cause a sudden increase in levels.
    Asparagus 4carbs& 2 sugar per 100
    Brussel Sprouts 2 Carb & 2 sugar

12 Carbs is much lower than I would expect to have anything close to this effect.
    Do you check the BS BEFORE eating? If so, what was that? It may be that this includes a residual effect from earlier in the day?
    What meds do you use to control the blood sugars? This will help to isolate the potential causes.

Feel free to follow up by private message.

Mike aka Wheelie_UK
  • crowntech
    crowntech Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I get light headed/dizzy it's either 1 of the 2 things. Low BS or low bp. I usually only get low BS while working out and not eating enough carbs to spike up my bs. Low bp I usually only get in the morning and it's really low. They both cause the light headed/dizzy but then they also feel dif. Next time it happens and you happen to be somewhere that has the bp machines, you might want to give it a try or better yet, invest in one of your own if you can afford it. Thru trial and error is how we all learn what our bodies react. Good luck.