Frustrated & Discouraged

Options
Hi, I've been hypo for about 6 years now and have been struggling to lose any weight. I've had some success when I was prescribed Victoza last year where I lost nearly 30 lbs but have slowly started gaining the weight back as my doctor felt that there was really nothing else for them to do and they dropped me as a patient.
I consider myself to be a fairly healthy eater, because I was on victoza for nearly a year my body has gotten used to eating low calories so at the moment I average about 700 calories per day. For exercise I can only do mild to moderate exercise, such as walking small distances, yoga and swimming.
I have not had much luck with finding a good and healthy combination for losing weight or even accepting the person I've become. I'm wondering what successes people have had with losing weight with Hypothyroidism?

Replies

• emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism as well. I understand how frustrating it can be. I joined a gym and went and worked out 3-5 days a week for a solid year with NO RESULTS (maybe I was a little stronger). I was also eating healthy (real food-no processed junk) ect. at the time. I didn't have ANY progress until my doctor changed my thyroid meds from Synthroid (synthetic t4 only) to Armour (all natural t1,2,3 &4). Everyone is different though. You have to find the right medicine for your body. Don't let your doctor tell you that you can't get Armour either because you can! It is out there. I don't know why but the docs go-to medicine is Sythroid, but don't settle for it if it doesn't help you. Try different meds until you find the one that alleviates your symptoms. Also, try to cut out soy and gluten. This is difficult because soy is in everything, but it's worth a try right? :) I've read that soy aggravates hypothyroidism symptoms and can even make it worse. I also had more success dieting when I counted carbs not calories (if you are going to count carbs do NOT look at the calories at all!). I count the carbs but subtract the dietary fiber from the total. I started out only allowing myself only 20g of carbohydrates a day (lots of fish and chicken) and all the carbs I took in were from berries and low carb vegetables (no junk). I did this for about 2 weeks (and lost 16lbs!), and then I slowly added more carbs until I stopped losing weight and I stayed at that limit of carbs daily....for a while lol but now I'm trying to get back in the swing of things. Try counting carbs. Maybe that will work for you. Looks like you are not eating enough and that will put your body into starvation mode. :( Only people that have had gastric bypass should be eathing below their BMR. That's dangerous and unhealthy for you. :( Add me as a friend if you like. :) Hope things get better for you.