I Think I'm Overtraining

AprilRenewed
AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
It all started way back a few weeks into P90X - my legs would stiffen and swell. I've gone through all sorts of ideas about what may be causing it, but nothing else had really changed.

I make sure I get all my protein. I drink plenty of water. My sodium intake isn't any more than normal.

Yet, at least once a week, from anywhere between 1 and 3 days, my legs tighten and swell.

This past weekend, Saturday was my rest day. My legs were fine. And Sunday they were fine. But by Monday - day II of working out this week - they were swollen again.

Could over-training be the cause?

Replies

• MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    If all you are doing is P90X, I don't think you are over training.
    My entire body gets swollen and stiff after doing a workout, especially strength training.
    That is what the rest week in the P90X program is for, for your body to heal itselft and all that soreness and muscle inflamation to go away.
  • AprilRenewed
    Well, I'm doing P90X Doubles...so on weight days, I do cardio also.
  • MariaMariaM
    Is this your first round?
    Then maybe you are doing a bit too much if your body is not conditioned for this type of workouts.
    When I did it, I only did the classic. Even today that I am in the best shape of my life I don't do a heavy cardio routine when doing strenghtraining.
  • AprilRenewed
    I was in really good shape before I started and wanted to gain muscle. This is my first round, though. The thing is, I'm terrified to step back and stop burning so many calories. Call it my ED.
  • MariaMariaM
    I see.

Well, doubles is really meant for people that want to speed up their weight loss. I don't know anyone who is already in shape doing doubles.
    Also, doing doubles will interfere with you trying to build muscles (too much cardio added to the mix).

I understand you being terrified of not burning too many calories. I burn anywhere from 200 - 450 calories depending on the workout. I eat about 1800 -2000 calories a day. I was also terrified of eating this much and not burning enough but I decided to test it out. I have been maintaining my weight, improving my muscle definition and improving my endurance since I switch in beg of May. It is possible and if you are eating the right amounts, things will workout. This could be a way your body is telling you to slow down a bit. You can actually see a picture that compares my back in profile gallery: The first one was taken when I was IMO over doing it towards the end of April, the other one was taken yesterday. I think I look better on the second one. It is the comparison pic.
  • AprilRenewed
    Okay...so...maybe I'll stop doing doubles. Just do classic. I probably do have too much cardio in the mix. I just...can't get it in my head that it would be better for me. I'm just now getting the hang of eating back my exercise calories.
  • MariaMariaM
    I think one of the most difficult things in this process is the mental block we subject ourselves to.
    Once you overcome that everything is a bit easier.
  • AprilRenewed
    I just don't know how to do that.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    It's hard to say for sure. Why don't you try a week without the doubles and see how you feel? That should make it clearer if it's a training or health issue. From your posts it does seem like you work super hard!

If it helps, my legs ALWAYS swell after lifting. In fact, I'm having a particularly bad swollen leg day right now :).
  • AprilRenewed
    It's hard to say for sure. Why don't you try a week without the doubles and see how you feel? That should make it clearer if it's a training or health issue. From your posts it does seem like you work super hard!

If it helps, my legs ALWAYS swell after lifting. In fact, I'm having a particularly bad swollen leg day right now :).

It does help, thank you. :) Mine used to only swell after lifting, whether it was legs or not. But...this week, they swelled on Monday. Saturday was my off day. Sunday and Monday were both cardio - but I did hardcore on the elliptical, high levels, high intensity leg work. So, it has to be the training.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Have you ever taken a complete rest week?

Highly suggest one:)

Take 7 days, no workouts. Nothing more than casual walking. Seriously. Let your body heal a bit. Its important to take these rest weeks. They are hard mentally to wrao your head around, but you DO need them.
    Then after your rest, see what your results are like, and if your legs arent so tight:)