Dresden Files

KimmyEB
KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
I noticed from some other threads here, that there's a number of fellow Dresden fans here. :flowerforyou:

I'm probably a little late in finding this out, but the newest book, Cold Days, will be out November 27th. I can't wait!!

Figured this would be a nice way for fellow fans to discuss the series, characters, etc. :tongue:

Replies

• I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Maybe the bloody last book will be cheaper than the 14.99 its been sitting at :( I can't justify spending that money on a e-book or paperback for that price! They need to drop it to 9.99 at the most geez
  • KimmyEB
    It's $14.99 in paperback, too? Wow...that's weird. All of my older ones in paperback were no more than $7.99 or $8.99 at B&N.
  • vhines5
    vhines5 Posts: 63 Member
    I love the Dresden Files! The series is great. Most of the authors I read are female with female leads. Having a quirky male lead is great. Can't wait for the new book!
  • KimmyEB
    I love the Dresden Files! The series is great. Most of the authors I read are female with female leads. Having a quirky male lead is great. Can't wait for the new book!

The female characters are so diverse in the Dresden-verse, I love it! Susan is still my all-time favorite character. :happy:
  • LakeRhode
    LakeRhode Posts: 6 Member
    I've heard good recommendations for the Dresden Files. Do they have to be read in order?
  • KimmyEB
    I've heard good recommendations for the Dresden Files. Do they have to be read in order?

I definitely would read them in order. There are new characters/plots in each book, but there are also elements from all the previous books that roll into each of the latter books. Character development is key for this series, too...one of the main characters starts off as barely a teenager and is now in her mid-20's in the last book, so you'd be missing a lot if you read out of order.
  • vhines5
    I just pre-ordered:

Cold Days (Dresden Files Series #14)

Due out in November. Can't wait!!!
  • KimmyEB
    I just pre-ordered:

Cold Days (Dresden Files Series #14)

Due out in November. Can't wait!!!

Eep!! I can't wait, either! :happy: I will probably download it to my Kindle THAT DAY.:glasses:
  • Zaphyre13
    Zaphyre13 Posts: 51 Member
    I read Changes awhile ago and it left me a little unsettled with the direction the series was taking.
    I guess I don't like changes haha. I have Ghost Story sitting on my bedside table but I haven't
    started it yet.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Ghost Story was SO good. You need to read. Thanks for the info!
  • damsel58
    damsel58 Posts: 2 Member
    I was actually disappointed in Ghost Story. But I do have higher hopes for the next one.
  • KimmyEB
    I was actually disappointed in Ghost Story. But I do have higher hopes for the next one.

I feel the same. I LOVED Changes, but Ghost Story felt a bit lackluster to me, and sort of rushed. LOTS of new character development and it just sorta felt like it was all thrown together rather quickly, IMO. I may actually re-read it...sometimes I like something better when I read it for a second time around. :tongue:
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    I felt like GS brought everything back to where I wanted it going. *shrug*
  • explodingalice
    explodingalice Posts: 158 Member
    I only just recently discovered these when a friend sent me 'Storm Front' recently. I loved it, and can't wait to read the rest.
  • Zaphyre13
    Anyone read the Codex Alera series? I loved it too. Completely different. I was sad when it was over I missed
    Tavi and Kitai.
  • KimmyEB
    Haven't read those. Might check those out sometime. :smile:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    I havent read these but it seems they are pretty popular, maybe I will give them a try, good to know they are better if read in order
  • vhines5
    Has anyone started Cold Front yet? I finally got it to download to my Nook yesterday, but haven't had time to read yet!

Oh, and if anyone else has a Nook, I'd love to be Nook Friends!

Val
  • KimmyEB
    Has anyone started Cold Front yet? I finally got it to download to my Nook yesterday, but haven't had time to read yet!

Oh, and if anyone else has a Nook, I'd love to be Nook Friends!

Val

My boyfriend was very sweet and snuck onto my Amazon account and pre-ordered it for me! I saw it on my Kindle the day it came out. :happy: I am on chapter 10 or 11 right now, can't remember, but so far...it is REALLY good! WAY better than Ghost Story, IMO. I actually got up an hour earlier than normal for work yesterday, just so I could read some of it before work, haha. I love it so far!
  • Zaphyre13
    I'm over half way through Ghost Story and I'm really enjoying it!