Back pain

SereneRose
SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
Hey all.

I'm in week 3 of Burn and enjoying the program but since the second week this problem has occurred.

When I have to do moves like bowler lunges or basically any workout which involves me bending over with a straight back or leaning forward to do any lifts I get a really full on ache in the lower middle part of my back and it creeps up my whole back. This will continue until I straighten and stretch it out but damage is done and workout is compromised.

Anyone else have any back pain?
Do you think it's down to bad form?

Replies

• chojolitos
    chojolitos Posts: 100
    . I just finish burn phase and I didn't have any back pain . Maybe you are curling your back too much or trying to hold the weight in your back instead of your legs.
    Becareful not to hurt your back:ohwell:
    Sincerely,
    Vio
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    can you see yourself in a mirror?

You may think your back is flat but it isn't.

Also, if you can't bend over that far, don't push yourself. do it gently and gradually.

hope someone else might have more help for you.
  • SereneRose
    Thank you both you've been very helpful.

No I don't have a mirror to exercise in front of but I will be getting one soon as I think my back is flat but can't be sure.
    Today was better as I was trying more to push myself back on my heels and use my hamstrings more.

Thanks again :smile:
  • Pipsg1rl
    a p90X move helps me with this.

you stand with your feet together and bend over while trying to or actually putting your hands on the floor.

THEN you put your hands on your thighs and stick your butt "up." you should look like the number "7" (with straight legs and your hands on your thighs still).

you will probably feel like you have a little arch in your back. but your spine should not be curving over like the yoga position of "cow" or "camel."

if you do this in sequence while doing the breathing it might help you. (inhale hands to thighs, exhale hands to floor).
  • The mirror is a great idea, I need to get me one. I have lower backpain but it's been going on for years. I do try to keep my posture right the flat back and it doesn't hurt but there are days like today where my lower back just hurts so much but I pushed myself to keep going.

Hope you'll feel better soon SereneRose.
  • Bovaryoo
    Bovaryoo Posts: 1,374 Member
    I have some lower back pain when doing some of the exercises, but it doesn't creep up my back. I have mirror so I know I'm not rounding my back. It was suggested to me to make sure you're holding in your abdominal muscles. I also do some back stretches after the workout.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,374 Member
    I had the same issue when I first started the burn phase for the first time a few months ago & for me it was b/c my core wasn't strong enough - you really need to tighten those abs when you are lifting...I took off from lifting for a couple of months for other reasons & strengthened my core with some crunches, planks, holding my abs in while walking & doing leg lifts, etc. I just started back up with burn phase again over a week ago & I don't have the back pain anymore - I really think it is b/c I strengthened up my core. I hope this helps you some..:smile:
  • SereneRose
    Thank you so much for the advice it had been really helpful.

Autumnk921 I really think your right regarding my core I do forget to suck in my gut and only do it when she reminds me and on my walks I forget also so that will be something I'll be working on from now on.

Last week of burn now have to buy heavier weights for push I've only got 1, 3 and 5kg and I've heard this phase is where you push hard and really see results.

You all have my gratitude :flowerforyou:
  • Pipsg1rl
    how are you feeling? is the core strength making a difference?
  • SereneRose
    Yes thank you. It is helping but i'm still having trouble with those darn bowler lunges. Everytime I lean forward and do them I get as far as 4 and then I have to straighten then restart.
    Last week of Burn, next week I begin Push so fingers crossed it's not too intense. Not dared to look.

I'm happy with what I am doing so far, did an early check and inches have been lost. Wohoo!

Thanks for checking in.:smile:
  • Pipsg1rl
    Yes thank you. It is helping but i'm still having trouble with those darn bowler lunges. Everytime I lean forward and do them I get as far as 4 and then I have to straighten then restart.
    Last week of Burn, next week I begin Push so fingers crossed it's not too intense. Not dared to look.

I'm happy with what I am doing so far, did an early check and inches have been lost. Wohoo!

Thanks for checking in.:smile:

Great progress :)