First time low carber seeks support :)

Options
amm114
amm114 Posts: 108 Member
At the recommendation of a friend and nutritional consultant (and after busting a skirt seam getting out of the car this morning), I have decided to try a low carb diet. I am not new to MyFitness Pal, but I have fallen off the weight loss bandwagon a few times. I'm hoping the low carb lifestyle is something I can actually stick with! I don't have a whole lot to lose, but my metabolism is definitely slowing down (I'm sure due to age). It's been difficult going from being able to eat whatever I wanted and never gaining an ounce to realizing I can't do that anymore if I want to stay healthy and feel good about myself. I LOVE carbs, and I don't plan to completely eliminate them, I just want to make sure the ones I do eat are healthy and not processed/refined. I need all the help I can get... my cooking skills leave something to be desired! Any food tips or substitution ideas are welcome! Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    you can check this web site out:

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/

grains and flour are a definite no-no but they list "safe starches" such as rice and potatoes. however, that's a whole 'nother argument within the low-carb world lol it just depends on how deep you want to go into it. but a couple of things are for sure:

no grains
    AND
    eat more fat!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm looking for a recipe, I just google "paleo (name of dish)" or "primal (dish)" and it'll be something grain-free and usually lower-carb. Wellness Mama has good recipes, too (and a phone app). I don't really do any substitutions; I mostly eat proteins, fats (lots!), and veggies. When I do eat more carbs, it's from the "safe starches" that cartrat mentioned: rice, sweet potatoes (white potatoes occasionally, but sometimes they trigger carb cravings for me), and bananas. I like the Perfect Health Diet, except their carb level is still too high for me, unless I am VERY active (lifting heavy, sprinting, and/or playing rugby).

How low of a carb level are you thinking? I'm only asking just in case you need to watch out for low-carb flu symptoms. This is an excellent link I recommend to anyone thinking of low-carbing, which explains what happens/what to do when you drop your carbs suddenly to a very low level.
    http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/saturated-fat/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-ii/

Best of luck! :)
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Oh I hope you love it. I will never ever go back to eating the way I did before. I feel amazing and believe it or not - I don't crave ANY of those carby foods anymore. AT ALL. Glad you're here!! All those they said above ^^^ great resources!
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hey, Im fairly new to it as well - feel free to add me.
    Its really worth a try, I feel so much better and the excess weight is falling off me. It just feels so much less restrictive than a normal diet. Good luck.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

grains and flour are a definite no-no but they list "safe starches" such as rice and potatoes. however, that's a whole 'nother argument within the low-carb world lol it just depends on how deep you want to go into it. but a couple of things are for sure:

no grains
    AND
    eat more fat!

Indeed ... Cut processed food, sugar and grains, eat more natural fat (including saturated) and the rest is just arguing about the details.

Oh, and walk around a bit but don't overdo the cardio. And lift some heavy stuff occasionally to preserve/gain muscle ... Doesn't have to be weights in a gym either, start with some push-ups ...

I enjoyed The Perfect Health Diet book, there are some interesting ideas in there.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I just want to make sure the ones I do eat are healthy and not processed/refined. I need all the help I can get... my cooking skills leave something to be desired! Any food tips or substitution ideas are welcome! Thanks! :smile:

Free cooking lessons, tricks and tips can be found through the search engine of Youtube - TONS of free videos... Epicurious and Video-Jug are my favorites to recommend.

Breads, pasta, rice, corn, flours: Anything involving "White", "Bleached", "Bromated", etc. Even whole milk has carbohydrates... One cup of Hood's whole/full fat milk contains a whopping 12g of carbohydrates!!! Most breads have high fructose corn syrup and other "ose"-type sugars...even soy too for those who are sensitive!

See if you can concentrate on non-starchy fresh vegetables. The best fruits would be berries, but even they can 'add up' too so be careful!

Meats, fats from natural sources, cholesterol from natural sources is perfectly safe.

Avoid low-fat-this/low-sugar-that - get foods that are real. No boxed, canned, preprocessed, prepackaged, etc.

Stay well hydrated!!!!!!
  • cramernh
    Options

no grains
    AND
    eat more fat!

Indeed ... Cut processed food, sugar and grains, eat more natural fat (including saturated) and the rest is just arguing about the details.

Oh, and walk around a bit but don't overdo the cardio. And lift some heavy stuff occasionally to preserve/gain muscle ... Doesn't have to be weights in a gym either, start with some push-ups ...

I enjoyed The Perfect Health Diet book, there are some interesting ideas in there.

Not all rice and/or potatoes are the same... they yield a high insulin response because of the carbohydrate content, often classified as the higher-end of medium glycemic index and majority of them are high glycemic index...
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    Not all rice and/or potatoes are the same... they yield a high insulin response because of the carbohydrate content, often classified as the higher-end of medium glycemic index and majority of them are high glycemic index...

I'd avoid them all to be honest but some people seem to need some starch in their diet (e.g. the often reported 'dry eyes' symptom) so I guess oft-recommended sweet potato is the way to go in reasonable portions?
  • cramernh
    Options

I'd avoid them all to be honest but some people seem to need some starch in their diet (e.g. the often reported 'dry eyes' symptom) so I guess oft-recommended sweet potato is the way to go in reasonable portions?

That would be a personal choice. There are some people who do well with the sweet potato - while others call it a trigger food because of the sweetness (ergo the starchy carb count), and cant.

Personally, Im in agreement with you Vim.... anyone who is not suffering from insulin resistance, would need to determine on their own if this is a safe food to have and how to minimize it if necessary while beginning the low-carb process.

Unfortunately for me... with the IR, and doubly worse: living in a state where the fresh made maple syrup is amazing on sweet-potato fries (ok, triply worse! LOL) and I just simply cannot ever have them anymore because of how bad my IR is... I love making them for people though... mmmmmmm Fall Foods of New England... so very sexy! LOL!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hullo & Welcome :smile:

It can be a bit daunting to start off with but this group is a great resource. If you have any queries regarding anyting (big or small) chances are it has been addressed here, you can search old topics or post a new one. Keep an eye out, I will be posting a new sticky thread at the top for low carb newbies.

The 'whats on your menu today' sticky thread is a good way to get meal ideas/recipes and be generally nosey at other low carbers meal plans.

CramerNH (my fellow moderator) has also provided a sticky thread for good background reading and scientific studies re: low carb diets.

Feel free to fire me a friend request.

Happy low carbing
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    That would be a personal choice. There are some people who do well with the sweet potato - while others call it a trigger food because of the sweetness (ergo the starchy carb count), and cant.

Personally, Im in agreement with you Vim.... anyone who is not suffering from insulin resistance, would need to determine on their own if this is a safe food to have and how to minimize it if necessary while beginning the low-carb process.

Unfortunately for me... with the IR, and doubly worse: living in a state where the fresh made maple syrup is amazing on sweet-potato fries (ok, triply worse! LOL) and I just simply cannot ever have them anymore because of how bad my IR is... I love making them for people though... mmmmmmm Fall Foods of New England... so very sexy! LOL!

No chance of reversing or improving the IR then, ever? Man, that sucks.

I think I had some issues having been a carb-monster and a repeated "low-cal low-fat" dieter in the past but I'm going to annoy you now by confessing to having had some chip shop chips tonight.

If I'm the size of a Zeppelin tomorrow I'll report back and you can say I Told You So ;)

Maple syrup sounds great, I worked in the UK with a guy from Canada who had his favourite imported.
  • cramernh
    Options

No chance of reversing or improving the IR then, ever? Man, that sucks.

I think I had some issues having been a carb-monster and a repeated "low-cal low-fat" dieter in the past but I'm going to annoy you now by confessing to having had some chip shop chips tonight.

If I'm the size of a Zeppelin tomorrow I'll report back and you can say I Told You So ;)

Maple syrup sounds great, I worked in the UK with a guy from Canada who had his favourite imported.

Vim... unfortunately for me, Ive become part of a new potential study for the Endo that is treating me. They still cant figure out what name to put on my metabolic disorder that puts my pancreas into overdrive. She had stated that my past medical history, she is very surprised my pancreas didnt shut down completely.... was almost quarantined at one point because of the high doses of insulin my pancreas was literally dumping - it was causing hepatitis... No interferon for me, thank you very much!

IR in standard care in female patients with PCOS, it can be reversed through weight loss and management of dietary intake... but there is always that chance of it happening when that person decides to go off the bandwagon...

(EDIT: the sad part is my Thyroid panels are within normal limits - its a happy and healthy Thyroid...)
  • tjk71
    tjk71 Posts: 167
    Options
    bump
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping the low carb lifestyle is something I can actually stick with!

You might care to read this blog post of mine to prepare you for what what you'll likely experience going Low Carb.
    I've been successful with Low Carb, and I've also fallen off the wagon or failed to get back on the wagon numerous times. You can see my profile for that history.

I'm enjoying being on the wagon now. Best Wishes.
  • shar140
    Options

no grains
    AND
    eat more fat!

It's not necessarily the glycemic response that determines what is a "safe starch" per the Perfect Health Diet (and Primal/Paleo WOE), it's the phytic acid, lectin, and gluten in them. Or rather, the lower content of such makes them "safer" than grains and legumes.
  • cramernh
    Options

no grains
    AND
    eat more fat!

It's not necessarily the glycemic response that determines what is a "safe starch" per the Perfect Health Diet (and Primal/Paleo WOE), it's the phytic acid, lectin, and gluten in them. Or rather, the lower content of such makes them "safer" than grains and legumes.

Here is a viable reference link: http://www.glycemicindex.com/about.php
    This is an area of medicine that is sound science and one that is backed by not just the American Medical Association, but also American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, WHO, FAO, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, and based out of Human Nutrition Unit, School of Molecular Biosciences, University of Sydney in Australia.

Quoted from their site: Recent studies from Harvard School of Public Health indicate that the risks of diseases such as type 2 diabetes and coronary heart disease are strongly related to the GI of the overall diet. In 1999, the World Health Organisation (WHO) and Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) recommended that people in industrialised countries base their diets on low-GI foods in order to prevent the most common diseases of affluence, such as coronary heart disease, diabetes and obesity.

These are viable resources thanks to the network of physicians I am affiliated with professionally for a living, which is why I shared them here - in addition to the medical publishings from the US Library of Medicine. The GI approach is about low, medium and high glycemic index levels, the glycemic load it poses and the reaction the body has in a multiple level of diseases and disorders.

Thanks! 8-)
  • shar140
    Options
    This is an area of medicine that is sound science and one that is backed by not just the American Medical Association, but also American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, WHO, FAO, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, and based out of Human Nutrition Unit, School of Molecular Biosciences, University of Sydney in Australia.

Quoted from their site: Recent studies from Harvard School of Public Health indicate that the risks of diseases such as type 2 diabetes and coronary heart disease are strongly related to the GI of the overall diet. In 1999, the World Health Organisation (WHO) and Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) recommended that people in industrialised countries base their diets on low-GI foods in order to prevent the most common diseases of affluence, such as coronary heart disease, diabetes and obesity.

These are viable resources thanks to the network of physicians I am affiliated with professionally for a living, which is why I shared them here - in addition to the medical publishings from the US Library of Medicine. The GI approach is about low, medium and high glycemic index levels, the glycemic load it poses and the reaction the body has in a multiple level of diseases and disorders.

Thanks! 8-)

I was not debating the validity of the glycemic index, I was just pointing out what the PHD and Paleo/Primal WOE use to consider something a "safe starch". From there, a person can determine by their personal experience with that food (cravings, weight gain, etc) if it is something they can consume (if any), and in what quantities.

*corrected my spelling error!
  • cramernh
    Options

Thanks! 8-)

I was not debating the validity of the glycemic index, I was just pointing out what the PHD and Paleo/Primal WOE use to consider something a "safe starch". From there, a person can determine by their personal experience with that food (cravings, weight gain, etc) if it is something they can consume (if any), and in what quantities.

*corrected my spelling error!

I never accused you of debating anything (??????) there was nothing in my post that specifically stated "you are wrong" nor anything stating "you are debating!!!" - just simply stating the true facts that the Glycemic Index, a study which has an extremely large database of hard science is backed by many reputable medical entities and is valid throughout not just the United States, but in other countries in addition to WHO and FOA and the other lists of medical societies as well. Glycemic Index, glycemic load are all viable facts - to further support my original response.

Thanks...

CramerNH
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've really loved the recipes I've found at Linda's Low Carb: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html