Need Guidance!

I joined this group a while ago but I have no idea how these "groups" work! I've flipped through some of the posts but I can't find any references about where to find out how much I'm supposed to be eating... I know, I'm a newbie when it comes to certain things... please bear with me :happy:

Some background on me so you all can help me...

I'm 5'1", started MFP around 151. I've currently lost about 19lbs, so right now I'm 132.1lbs. My goal is to be between 110 and 120, depending on how I look and feel. MFP set me to 1200cals when I said I wanted to lose 1lb/week. That SUCKED so I changed my settings to 0.5lb/week and I'm currently at 1480cals, which is a little more manageable (hey, I'm a hungry girl!). I always eat back my exercise cals as well.

I try to work out 3-4 days/week. Right now, I either run or bike. Hoping to get into strength training, but have yet to do so. I'm also a nurse and work on a very busy floor - wondering what activity setting I should be set to - any insight to that?

So, my diary is open. Yes, there are days this month where I did not complete my diary... I really did not eat that low of cals on some days, I promise!

Advice, links, and a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    This is where a lot of EM2WL people calculate calorie goals: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    I would say if you're walking around all day, definitely moderate or even strenuous activity level!
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    This is where a lot of EM2WL people calculate calorie goals: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

According to this calculator, my TDEE is 1907. What percentage do most people cut for weight loss?
  • krystina_letitia9
    I would say if you're walking around all day, definitely moderate or even strenuous activity level!

Thanks, I will change my activity to moderate for now, to start off with!

Another question, which may sound silly to some people. How often should I recalculate my TDEE?
  • krystina_letitia9

Another question, which may sound silly to some people. How often should I recalculate my TDEE?

I just answered my own question by closely reading the website... thank you! Also, when I changed my activity level, MFP changed my calorie goal to 1600, which the calculator set me to if I cut 15% of my cals. Does this seem appropriate?
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    I would definitely be starting off with a few weeks (6-8 if you can) eating at TDEE. That way you're readjusting your metabolism and promising it that you have stopped the VLCDing. Then go to 10 or 15% cut. I would recommend 10%, you don't have a lot to lose at all. Are you strength training? That helps too.

Also, always set your MPF calorie goals manually... don't ever go by what they say. Use the scooby calculator like you did and plug your own cals in.
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

That's what I used. I took my TDEE of what I want to weigh. Which gives me 2000 calories.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member

i would say moderate.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I just answered my own question by closely reading the website... thank you! Also, when I changed my activity level, MFP changed my calorie goal to 1600, which the calculator set me to if I cut 15% of my cals. Does this seem appropriate?

You can't really use MFP settings anymore doing it the manual method different than MFP's method.

Use the spreadsheet linked to in this post. This allows you to save you stats too for 5 lbs lighter.

Down at bottom is what you change.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/677905-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-calc-macro-calc-hrm
  • krystina_letitia9

You can't really use MFP settings anymore doing it the manual method different than MFP's method.

Use the spreadsheet linked to in this post. This allows you to save you stats too for 5 lbs lighter.

Down at bottom is what you change.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/677905-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-calc-macro-calc-hrm

Dang, that looks pretty complicated, but I'm going to check that out. Thanks!
  • riouxt
    riouxt Posts: 104 Member
    Also read through all the stickies at the start of the group. They were extremely helpful to me.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member

Remember that the KEY to success with EM2WL is knowing that the theory is based on HEALING YOUR DAMAGED METABOLISM from extended periods of time on VLCDs. (Very Low Calorie Diets)

Once you have done that, you will GRADUALLY, SLOWLY, and I mean S-L-O-W-L-Y begin to lose weight.

Most people go through the RESET process which is at least 6 weeks if not more. After that, you go to your Cut (usually -15%). You will most likely gain on Reset and eventually begin to lose again on Cut.

There is no time limit on either process and it can be VERY physically and emotionally demanding so you must really be committed to being in this for the "long haul".

I gained a LOT of weight on Reset and it was VERY uncomfortable for me~ actually painful to be exact. I lost 5 pounds on Cut right away and have not gotten on the scale again (just completed week 4).

I hung in there because I have a 40 year history of VLCD and I wanted end the vicious yo-yo cycles.

EM2WL is one of the best things I could have done for myself for multiple reasons but it is a TOUGH road to go down.

Just want you to go into this with eyes wide open.......there is nothing quick about this.......