Salad dressing subs.

Options
Good morning! I generally eat a big salad with lunch and dinner along with my protein and fat. The produce is just fantastic right now and I really enjoy eating it raw. However, I've still been using ranch dressing. It's the lowest in carbs, along with Caesar. But I know it's not primal 'cause there's so much crap in it. What do you all top your salads with? Oil & vinegar? Butter? ;-)

Replies

• asoeung
    asoeung Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I generally do an oil/vinegar and add other flavors. My favorite combo lately has been a little bit of apple cider vinegar, a mix of coconut and EVOO, some lemon juice, and just a hint of honey (I like a tiny touch of sweetness in my dressings). Once you get the oil/vinegar "base", you can really experiment with the flavor add-ins. You can add garlic powder, ginger powder, tamari, lemon juice, lemon pepper seasoning, etc... It never gets boring. :)
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Fantastic suggestions - thank you!
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I use half an avocado, no dressing. The avocado gives tons of flavor and enough "moisture" so that the salad's not super dry. Also, a splash of lemon juice is great too.
  • Spooky_Rach
    Spooky_Rach Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love balsamic vinegar + EVOO + salt + black pepper - nommy :).
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I made a great balsamic vinegar dressing the other day. I also found a recipe for Avocado Tatziki sauce that I've been using on salads. Here are a couple good links for dressings:

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/salad-dressing-and-vinaigrettes/

http://www.paleoeffect.com/recipes/paleo-ranch-dressing-paleo-effect/

http://dannymclarty.com/2012/08/recipe-of-the-week-from-marci-nevin-greek-salad-with-avo-ziki-dressing/
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I'm odd, but I buy a $50 bottle of balsamic, and drizzle that only. It's awesome.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you all!
  • laraeverhage
    laraeverhage Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I like to use salsa and lime juice - works great for taco salads at mexican restaurants (or at home).
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    My usuals:
    vinegar + olive oil + spices (salt, pepper, garlic & onion powders, sometimes italian seasoning)
    avocado - make sure it's ripe
    coconut oil - I add it to my chicken and heat so it melts
    bacon - heat it up so the fat comes out :)

As long as I have enough good fats on my salad, I don't need a 'dressing'.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I also use pestos and a black olive tapenade, along with olive oil, balsamic, and avocado.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Clean Eating magazine (the current issue or the one just before it) had a quick guide to making your own vinaigrettes. It's not difficult, but I was getting tired of what I was making, so some new ideas were very welcome.
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You can make ranch dressing with 1/2 mayo, 1/2 sour cream, fresh dill, parsley, and basil!
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    In a pinch I mix together salsa and plain greek yogurt.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Experience Life magazine just had an article about making your own salad dressings. Make adjustments as needed to make paleo.

http://experiencelife.com/article/dress-up-your-salad/
  • madlibscholar
    madlibscholar Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I whisked up some Evoo, a bit of organic apple cider vinegar with minced garlic, salt and pepper. It tasted great on my salad...would definitely do it again!
  • KittyMarie13
    Options
    I'm pretty new to primal, so I'm not entirely sure if this is 100% primal or not, but I take a cup of plain greek yogurt, half a cup of milk, and a packet of hidden valley ranch. With only using a TBS or two for a big salad it's only 17 calories and 2 carbs.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    Options
    Fantastic! Thanks again for all the suggestions!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I like to use cottage cheese.
  • Touchdown73
    Touchdown73 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Paleo Mayo mixed with Horseradish and it's great.