Choosing suits

Plates559
Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
So I am thinking of participating in multiply comps next year and i've been look at gear, how do I choose omg there are so many choices.

Info:
Squat stance slightly wider than hips, low bb
Deadlift narrow stance
Bench grip not wide nor near.

Replies

• Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    I've seen two main recommendations, start with single ply or loose multi. I started with metal pro briefs and those seem to be breaking in nicely without changing my form too much. I think starting with briefs or a looser squat suit with straps down is a good way to work into it. You can cut the straps off later and use the suit for training briefs if you want. The bench shirts I've seen recommended are the Inzer rage and rage x single ply, and Titan f6 and sometimes fury.
    I doubt you need a deadlift suit to start out, briefs would probably be a good start then grab a suit later. After using the metal briefs I'll probably go with them again for a suit. Metal has both sumo and conventional suits that specifically say what they are for. I think shirt depends more on your arch and how much you tuck your elbows so I'm not entirely sure on that.

Sorry to add another thing to consider, but figure out what federation you will lift in since that will also limit what gear you end up in and also might change the path you want to go getting into that gear.

I'm only one step further in getting into multi so take that advice for what it is, mostly just second hand things I've heard/read.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    If you're wanting to go multiply, I'd go with either metal or inzer. That seems to be what the top guys use.
    I've pulled in the metal pro deadlifter, and while my session didn't go well, the suit is legit.

I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Metal Jack stuff.

Have you done much single ply lifting before? If not I'd definitely jump into some single first. Titan is great for single ply gear.
    At the very least, pick up a used suit and use it for dynamic squat sessions here and there because you can't always be in your multiply stuff.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Different question kinda off topic. I'm needing a new belt, I was thinking old school leather wide in the back. Or the real thick Inzer belts with the single clasp. Not using it in competition.

Noticed your info

Squat stance slightly wider than hips, low bb
    Deadlift narrow stance
    Bench grip not wide nor near.

I'm opposite after watching Westside Barbell lifters
    Squat I'm slowly moving towards the split squat, changes center of gravity.
    Sumo deadlift
    Wide grip bench
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Zilla, I'd reccommend the Inzer lever or Inzer single pronged forever belt.
    I've got the single prong and love it.

The ones that are wider in the back don't offer any benefit.

Westside squats wide, benches wide, and deadlifts wide because they all compete in gear.
    Even raw, wide squatting is beneficial for sure. Just not ridiculously wide like you see in the suits.
    Sumo deads have a shorter range of motion, but since we all have balls here, just don't do it. :p (stricly my opinion but I think men should pull conventional)
    I've braught my bench grip out a bit recently and it seems to be helping. Shortens the ROM a bit and just felt better.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    I have long limbs so these wide grips and stances help me with center of gravity. Even on the bench my thumb is on the smooth ring and my rep is still 3 or 4 times longer than short arm big belly guys.
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    inzer single prong or lever is definitely the way to go on a belt. I'm not a huge fan of sumo either, but whatever gets the most weight off the floor and locked out is what matters. Sumo is also nice to throw in mix things up even as a conventional lifter, goes the other way too.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    I have long limbs so these wide grips and stances help me with center of gravity. Even on the bench my thumb is on the smooth ring and my rep is still 3 or 4 times longer than short arm big belly guys.

I forget that not everyone is short like me :p

If you're crazy tall it's definitely hard to not squat wide. lots of knee travel.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Joints kill me, so anything that will help that area I will do it.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Joints kill me, so anything that will help that area I will do it.

same here. my hips have been bothering me a lot lately. I went extra wide on SSB squats wednesday and got a nasty pinch. Had to throw on my suit to finish up cause my hips were fried.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    I've been doing the hip abductor machines on leg day. I call em the mangina machines,lol.
  • jr4015
    jr4015 Posts: 5 Member
    Getting into the discussion a little late but I would like to suggest a belt from Bobsbelts.com. they run about 140 dollars but it's the best one I have ever gotten and I've tried quite a few. you can customize the colors, whether you want single prong or double, and even stitch a saying on the back of the belt. I've talk to a lot of guys who have them and say that the belts will last for years but if you do order measure your size with consideration for your gear if you wear it.