Really Annoyed!

Options
I have had some success on MFP but I am not losing the expected 1-1/2-2lbs per week. I wonder if it is my Thyroid? I have recently been put on Synthroid...it has only been a couple of weeks. I feel like I want to reduce calories further because the slow results are making me kind of nuts. I have barely lost 5lbs int he last 30 days. I sometimes feel jinxed!

Replies

• emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Losing weight while suffering from hypothyroidism is almost impossible. I say ALMOST. Just stick to eating REAL food (no packaged processed junk) and try to burn at least 500 cal. a day. Log every bite, lick and taste. They count. Also, since I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, I've noticed that I lose weight more quickly if I count carbs. not calories. A low carbohydrate diet just works for me (lots of chicken and fish). :) I know it's annoying. I've been hypothyroid for 7 years and counting. :( I did swich from Synthroid (synthetic T4) to Armour (all natural T1, 2, 3 & 4) and I've seen better results. I don't know why but Synthroid is the go to medicine for most doctors, but don't settle for it if it doesn't alleviate your symptoms. It may not be what you need. Give it a good try (like for at least 3-6 months) though. There are alternatives to the Synthroid (synthetic T4). There is Cytomel (which is Synthetic T3. T3 is the active hormone in your body.) There's Armour (all natural T1,2,3 & 4). Some people even take a combination of a couple of meds. It will take some time and lots of trying but you will eventually find hte right meds for you. If you're looking for material to read to learn about the condition check out some of Mary Shomon's books. :) Hope this helps. Keep your chin up. :) It will be slow going but if you make an real effort it WILL go. :)