Should I do a reset?

Options
SpazzyMal
SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
My weight loss has been slow since I have joined MFP, mostly because I have hit plateaus what seems like every other month. When I started out on here I was eating (not netting, but totaling) around 1,500 calories a day, and then I upped it a bit, and then I found EMTWL, and did a calculator which put me at needing to eat around 1,700-1,900, depending on how active I am that week. I've been doing this fairly religiously for months now, but I've still kept hitting plateaus.

I've never done a reset before, but I'm guessing I might need one? I guess I'm a little scared of doing one for some reason. I feel like I should be losing more than I have been so doing something that will definitely cause me not to lose anything is a bit of bummer.

My stats for anyone who needs them: I am 62 inches (5'2"), 170 pounds, 24, and female. I exercise a minimum 30 minutes of cardio a day (running, biking), 5 times a week, and 15 minutes of bodyweight exercises for my strength training 4 times a week, but am otherwise fairly sedentary aside from walking around the house to clean and cook.

Replies

• autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    You may not need a whole 8wk reset....Most of us after upping calories for 6-8wks will take a 'diet' break by eating at TDEE for 1-2wks - whichever one you are more comfortable with...Try this out & then go back to your cut amount after that...This may kickstart your body back into high gear....Also, don't forget to recalculate your numbers for every 5-10lbs lost...I hope this helps!! :smile:

What activity level are you using? With the workouts that you have listed - I would say that you are a little above light activity & more at the low end of the moderate level of exercise....Try moderate for a bit & see how that works for you.
  • SpazzyMal
    Options
    Hey Autumn!

I go by the Scooby calculator, generally using the 1-3 hours of exercise a week setting, which puts me at needing to eat 1725 calories a day as my cut value. If I use the 3-5 hour estimate it gives me a cut of 1944. Since I exercise about 3.5 hours a week, I tend to hover somewhere towards 1,700-1,800 mark on my intake.

I'll consider doing the 1-2 weeks at TDEE, but I just remembered another part of my question (whoops!): Should I do it now, or wait?

I have a vacation coming up in early October, where I don't plan on restricting my diet. I likely will be eating somewhere around my TDEE, give or take a bit, but I will be walking... probably off and on all day for 12 hours. I mean, subtracting the times I will be sitting down to eat (let's say -3 hours for that) and the time I might be standing around and waiting (let's just say -3 for that too, just to estimate) that puts me at a solid 6 hours or so of walking every day, which is a pretty significant burn of around 1,200 calories or so, give or take. Should I go ahead and do this mini-reset now, or wait until I get back?
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Good topic SpazzyMal!

I wish I had something to add, but you know I am struggling with the same thing. How long have you been at your current plateau and have you tried mixing anything up with your workouts?
  • SpazzyMal
    Options
    Rach, I've been plateaued for about a month and a half. I do vary my workouts a bit, as far as what I do for strength training (and I step up my intensity there whenever my body is capable), and I alternate running and biking for my cardio. I'm limited to what I can do at my house or in my neighborhood, and I've tried doing videos before but after a while they just bore me, so I gave them up in favor of being outside a couple months into my diet.