So why do I buy my trigger foods?

Options
Sooo this is me venting.

I spend hours at the gym, I prepare super yummy meals days in advance, and when I think I'm doing okay I get these intense cravings, go to the store with my friends and buy my "trigger foods." Personally, dark chocolate and nuts are my two triggers. Today I already reached my food calorie goal, I knew I was going out for drinks and worked my tail off so I could enjoy the alcohol and whatnot. So as I'm getting ready what do I do? I eat the entire bag of dark chocolate espresso nut trail mix from target that I bought a few hours ago with friends. That is more than 1000 calories. Great. I feel awful about myself and sad.

Does anyone else have this issue of buying something you know you'll devour in seconds and regret?

Thanks for reading my rant haha

Replies

• kelbelzz
    kelbelzz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I do this all of the time, or the binge food is already in my house. I will eat perfectly & clean all day, and get an intense urge for some chocolate or peanut butter. Which is why reese's are a huge binge food for me. But yeah, I'll get the urge and eat everything and everything chocolatey/peanut buttery.
    And it's annoying, I hear you. Because you plan the day and eat so well & exercise, and fudge it all up.
    :(
  • MissKane8064
    Options
    I just did this. Ice cream and chocolate are mine, and what do I do? I buy chocolate ice cream!:grumble: Nice right? I personally think I do it because I feel like I can control it and I'll just have little and not eat a ton of it in one sitting. But, I usually do. Maybe it's the same for you. Or maybe it's boredom. Mine is boredom a lot too:frown:
  • iwish123
    iwish123 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do this alot, I find mine is very emotion based, so if im feeling sad or have had a stressful day I end up going to the supermarket, usually in the evening and always when im alone, to buy food purely to eat it all when i get home. No one in my life knows about it and this is the only part of my life that I am ridiculously secretive and ultimately ashamed of. It is definitely like an addiction, but I have no idea how to control the situation!
  • calewis23
    calewis23 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time. One thing I find that sometimes helps is when I buy my trigger food (trail mix is actually one of mine), as soon as I get home I break the bag down into smaller healthier portion sizes. When I get a craving for it, I have one small bag that is actually the right portion size. It's tough to do this at the beginning though. When I started to commit (and re-commit) to losing weight and limit/stop binge eating I'd have to avoid my trigger foods altogether. Then after some period of time, I'd slowly (key word) start to re-introduce the trigger foods into my diet. For example, I love trail mix, so when I'm reintroducing it into my diet, I'd make recipes that had some element of it in it. I'd make peanut-pumpkin soup or a salad with dried cranberries and almonds into it, so when I'm eating what are my trigger foods, I'm also eating it in a healthy way. I hope the suggestions help! It's a daily fight, but you find ways to keep going on even after a mini relapse. You just keep going. :)
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Went into Tesco yesterday for a prawn salad for lunch, came out with the salad and three bars of chocolate (all of which I ate that morning, along with a slice of banana cake).