New here - Question about CLX/TF hybrid

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and was hoping for feedback on the CLX/TF hybrid I have planned. I started with Turbo Jam over a year ago and then added Turbo Fire HIITs last March. I really didn't like the TF strength workouts so I created my own TJ/TF hybrid. But then I tried the CLX Burn Circuit 1, which came as a bonus on one of my TF DVDs, and was hooked. My CLX DVDs arrived this week and I plan to do the strength workouts as per the program, 3x a week (starting with Burn for four weeks and then moving up), using TF HIITs 2x a week on my cardio days. For instance, I did Burn Circuit 1 yesterday and TF Greatest HIITs today, and I plan to do Burn Circuit 2 tomorrow. Does anyone think this might be over-training?

The problem is that I love the HIITs and they make it easy for me to squeeze a lot into my morning workouts. (I always try to fit in a yoga practice after cardio/strength so every minute counts.) Would love to hear what you CLX veterans think of this plan. (I noticed on Janelle's hybrid that she mixes the TF HIITs with strength, but she's a lot more fit than I am.)

Replies

• tracylee679
    tracylee679 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider that to be over training at all. Last summer I did CXL M,W,F with a HIIT workout M & F after CLX and then did regular TF workouts T, Th, Sat. It did wonders for my body. I am actually going to start doing that again as I have gained back about 20 pounds from my lowest weight last summer...:sad: You can look at my profile pics. The one in the bikini in the dressing room is from the end of week 5 and the one in my daughters messy room is from the end of week 12. I didn't start the schedule I mentioned above until the start of week 6.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    Thanks for the response, tracylee. I was feeling discouraged because last weekend Burn Circuit 2 was so hard and it totally wiped me out, but by Tuesday I realized that I was sick with a bug. It took four days to recover but I did a Turbo Fire Low HIIT yesterday and then Burn Circuit 3 today and I'm feeling pretty good. It's encouraging to know that it can be done and maybe I might get great results like you.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I just go by how I feel. I do Turbo Fire on my non-lifting days and sometimes HIIT 15 one on my lifting days but I don't follow any of the hybrid schedules. If my body feels run down I'll do a shorter one and just work it that way. I don't think you're over training. Just be sure to listen to your body and fuel it properly which I'm sure you're doing. My schedule is essentially the same was what you described your doing.
  • lashwish
    Options
    Never tried TF but the cardio circuits in CLX are HIITs though I cant compare to TF
    Ive only done the clx cardio a handful of times in 2m, as I usually have a zumba class or swap it for something else.
    I do think they are good workouts but I get bored FAST & I just need a chalene breather.
    see how you feel after doing it
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm not a CLX veteran, am just finishing my first month. But I guess I'm a "program" veteran at this point. I don't think you are over-training.

But, that said, the advice to just see how you feel and adjust as you go I think is good. I love how the Chalene schedule has a little wiggle-room, in that it doesn't take 7 full days, and some routines are only a 1/2 hr.... Right now I have been doing the 5 day schedule from Chalene, and then adding one more cardio day and then one more stretch/yoga day (both from P90x) because I like to exercise or at least commit to some sort of activity every day. But if I'm tired? No big deal...but so far so good!