Running after a impact injury, how much?

Options
Hi Guys,

So i've been out of action for about 2 months with tendinitis, i've done very little cardio in this time and taken it as a opportunity to put on some mass.

I've just started to ease back into cardio (all forms) but i am a runner, and im looking to race again ASAP, I ran a nice slow 4 miles yesterday with no strain on my feet, so i think im about ready to start training again. My questions are:

How long does it take to get your base back? I used to run a 21 minute 5k, but my first run back was 4 miles @ 8:43pm and pretty hard!

How often should i be running if i had a impact injury? Do i go straight back into everyday? Or maybe 2-3 times a week with cross training? I will do cardio most days now, but im happy to spin or swim if it makes rehab better.

I want to run seriously as soon as possible, but i dont want to have more time off, so i can be patient.

Thanks!

Replies

• marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I think to start don't run more than every other day and just listen to what your body has to say about that. As for ramping up on mileage and speed-I'd start out with a schedule with a slow run and a fartlek type run before jumping into tempo-maybe ease into it. But what do I know!? I'm just a slow frustrated wanna be hehe. Good luck getting back to it!!!:drinker:
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Fortunately I haven't had an injury that actually sidelined me but from what I've read it, If I remember correctly, is that it usually takes about x2 the amount of time you were out for.

With that being said I would take it slow. Start off doing all easy intensity runs for a few weeks and slowly ramp up your mileage again before trying to add any speed work. Tendonitis can be tricky so make sure to really pay attention to it so you don't go back on the IR again.
  • MissFit0101
    Options
    I was out for 1 month, and I've been back already for 1 month now and I'm still not where I was before. I think it really varies per person though. I would definitely start slow, and listen to your body. Get a good base again before you add speedwork to your regime. Good luck! Happy you're running again!
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I had a serious injury where I couldn't do any running or extensive walking. I was water running and spinning to maintain fitness. When I got cleared to run again my sports ortho had me on a build up that took me from a 30 minute session where I ran 1 minute/ walked 4 minutes six times to 60 minutes straight running. I can't even describe to you how amazing it felt to run for just 1 minute. I so wanted to keep going because I felt fabulous but due to the nature of my injury I couldn't afford to be cavalier about it so I followed the rehab directions to the letter. This took about two months. I was still water running and spinning during this time period but was gradually reducing it.

After I hit the 60 minute mark I transitioned to a more typical training schedule and three weeks later ran a half marathon. Then three weeks after that ran a full marathon. I went from zero running to a full marathon in 14 weeks. And it was a sick trail marathon with 6,200 feet of ascent and descent to boot. I've been doing my normal ultra stuff ever since.

That was my return from injury. I had felt confident about my cardio fitness due to the cross training but the musculoskeletal adaptations to running were a big concern for me so there was no boundary testing during that two month build up period. My body and my head were saying go, Go, GO but in this case I chose not to listen to either of them.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i was out for about 10 weeks after my marathon with a bad case of plantar fasciitis.

i eased back into it quite slowly, and then started another round of marathon training. i did 2 weeks of basic, alternate day 5k running. once i got my groove back (i didn't push at all during those 5ks), i started training from the very beginning of a 16 week programme. so my 1st long run was 8ks. it hasn't taken me long at all to get back into the swing of things, and FWIW i think the break did me good as far as physical health goes. the scales haven't changed but my clothes are getting bigger (which is fab, because i plateaued for ever!). and with a proper training programme, you know you're on a tried and tested path to awesome. you can get a programme with fartleks and speed training in. so you'll just need to find yourself a race to run.

but that's just my opinion:-)
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Cheers guys. Im taking the lightly lightly approach to this, i ran on sunday but havent run since, im going to cross train a lot and try to run maybe 2-3 times at the moment. I have no interest in speedwork until i can run a decent amount of time without feeling like death.
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Options
    Cheers guys. Im taking the lightly lightly approach to this, i ran on sunday but havent run since, im going to cross train a lot and try to run maybe 2-3 times at the moment. I have no interest in speedwork until i can run a decent amount of time without feeling like death.

Yes -- please start slow!

I had a horrible case of tendonitis while training for a 50k. So bad I ended up in a cast for 6 weeks. My foot also had some minor stress fractures...I was a mess. I'd run 6 marathons in a year and an ultra. I didn't take the time to properly heal and recover. Lesson learned the hard way. When I was in my cast, I started lifting... so, I did come out of it with something good.

Anyway, just build back up very slowly. It really won't take you long to build your base back but I wouldn't run more than 3 times a week to begin with and yes... no speed-work until you're back up to par.

Good luck!