Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Feeling discouraged :/

Need some advice/encouragement....

I had been cruising right along with C25K - repeating a day here and there, but for the most part staying pretty well on track. As I got into week 7 - was having trouble getting the full time in without walking when working out outside. I think, for me, it is a pacing issue - I'm really tall, and jogging at the pace I can sustain is slow to the point of being akward - so I tend to go too fast and burn out. I did get on the treadmill and prove to myself that I could do the 25 min straight, so moved on to week 8. I also started adding walk/jog intervals after the initial "run" so that each time out I was doing a full 5k in terms of distance.

I'm still really struggling to go more than 20-22 minutes straight outside, and for the last week it has been getting worse, both indoors and out. Up until now, the challenge has been mostly breathing/heart rate related. Now I'm having trouble with my left knee and along side my left lower leg....during the run, and when resting.

Up until this point, I felt on top of the world each time I went out - accomplishing new things, proving to myself each time that I could do just a little bit more. Now - I'm getting frustrated and feel like I'm completely off track and going backwards. Also feeling the pressure of an event I signed up for Sept. 16th... How do I get my mojo back?

Replies

• I think, for me, it is a pacing issue - I'm really tall, and jogging at the pace I can sustain is slow to the point of being akward - so I tend to go too fast and burn out.

I know how you feel! I am 5'10 and currently don't have the stamina to maintain the pace I want to run at - but going at the pace I can maintain, I look awkward and ridiculously slow for my stride length.

I used to run both long and short distance when I was younger and my height didn't hinder me in the slightest so I think it's more an endurance/stamina issue at the moment. If you keep building your strength you'll be able to go faster and also maintain that pace and won't burn out.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Have you considered going in to a running store and asking someone on the staff to evaluate how your foot falls and how is your stride?
    We're amateurs at this and maybe the advice of a professional will help.

I agree with you on the biking, as you know I was doing the same thing.

I'm still new enough to running and still TOO FAT to be doing it so I also have some challenges. I'm 5'11" and currently tip the scales at 226. If I run farther, I go slower. If I try to increase my pace it seems I burn out before hitting 3 miles. Longest I've gone without walking is about 3.6 miles so far. Everything I do is outside.

I'm really curious to know how much better would I be doing if I was trying this at 195 pounds instead of 226 pounds.

I think we're both in a transition phase and I'm sure we'll get beyond this in a short amount of time.

My strategy this week will be to take off TWO DAYS in between doing any running or biking. I'm curious to see what the rest period will do for my run on Wednesday.
  • Last week I went on two runs that kind of left me feeling discouraged as well...
    I've graduated C25K only about two weeks ago and felt like I was on top of the world. But those two runs just didn't go as I expected...

After today's run (which went totally great) I KNOW it was my pace that was giving me trouble. Because I felt so invincible after having graduated, I guess I had a hard time slowing myself down at the start of the run.

What I did after that second not-so-great run was this: a three day break from running (first time since I started C25K) to start with...
    And then today, when starting my run, I kept on telling myself that the only thing I needed to accomplish was getting to those 30 minutes again (while I guess during those two runs I was telling myself I needed to be faster than the previous run). I tried to focus on the music, enjoying the scenery and keep my pace SLOW.
    Don't know if that helps, but also just wanted to let you know that we all have those days where we don't feel that great after our runs.

Don't get discouraged, because you can do this!!
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    You sound like you need rest days inserted into your schedule. As the c25k distances continued to increase, I dropped my workouts from 6 to 5 days per week to get in another rest day and to continue to improve.

Once I finished c25k and could run the entire 5k without stopping, I started running the 5k distance twice a week, and running shorter distances (2-2.5 mi) on a track using tempo music for speed work 3 days/week for 2 weeks prior to my 5k. I was able to increase my 5k speed by 10%. Without rest days, I could not run the full 5k distance 5 days a week because I would continue to get slower.

The tempo music made me maintain 150-160 steps / min. which required me to shorten my stride. One would think this would slow one down but it actually helped me speed up. I maintained a constant cadence throughout my runs instead of it varing. Once I started doing this, my breathing was not as hard and I fould I could run for longer distances. ChiRunning.com (as well as others) describe this running technique. NHS c25k+ (found on iTunes) has several tempo podcasts which I have used and liked.

Also,I signed up for a 5k in w6. Could not run the entire way and a number of people in the 5k were taking periodic walk breaks. JeffGalloway.com talks about taking short walk breaks to relax feet and calves so you can start running again. My walk breaks in the 5k were 10 - 30 secs before I began running again. I was happy with my completion time.

If the 5k is a run/walk type event there will be others walking periodically. Focus on just completing the 5k and enjoy the experience!
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Discouraged no more.

I wanted to thank you all for your insight. I took a little break, relaxed, biked a day, golfed another and worried a lot less about running. Today, I got on the treadmill and ran/jogged FOR A LITTLE OVER THREE MILES straight. at about a 13 min mile. Guess whatever 20 min and I'm dying block I had is gone. Now granted - it was the treadmill. I know it will be harder outside. But I'm back to feeling like anything is possible again.

Thanks again....

KP
  • maryinnc
    maryinnc Posts: 129 Member
    Oh that is great and good advice for the future. Good luck to you.