Jeans/pants and NROLFW

Options
bethad5
bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
Ok, on the brink of a breakdown here... I'm going through my closet and trying on jeans since fall is coming. I just tried on 8 pairs of jeans, in varying sizes, but all that fit me prior to NR - when all I did was all cardio, all the time.

NONE of my jeans fit. NONE. Not ONE pair. I can't get ANY of them above my thighs to even attempt to button them closed.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm in Stage 1, workout 7. I'm following the book guidelines for nutrition. I've been over some days (ok, over by a lot some days) but have tried to stay consistent in the calories. I've also JUST been lifting with no added workouts. So two questions - 1) have my 'bigger' eating days completely screwed me over? is this why my pants don't fit? 2) does this just mean I should have been doing HIIT/cardio all along?

It took a lot for me to get out of the mentality that being healthy/losing weight is about all cardio all the time. I used to do 6 hours a week of steady state cardio. I finally 'saw the light' a few weeks ago and decided to do NROLFW even though I didn't think it felt like 'enough' (except now that I'm upping my weight...it's definitely 'enough'!)

and now, in one swift moment, not being able to pull any of my jeans above my thighs is about to send me straight to a breakdown. Help?

Replies

• woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    How much were you eating before and how much are you eating now?

Your diary is closed.

Have you gained weight?

How long have you been doing this, workout 7? Two weeks?
  • bethad5
    Options
    well, prior to NR I was doing 5-6 hours of cardio and did a metabolic reset eating my full tdee of 2655 cals a day, including days I went over. At the start of reset I was 154, and at the end I was up to 156 (after 9 weeks).

now, I'm eating the book's recommendations - 2100 on nonworkout days, 2350 on workout days. I have gone over some of the days (alcohol adds up!) but I wouldn't think it'd be 4 pounds worth. I'm starting either week 5 or week 6
  • Scrute11
    Scrute11 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If your on Stage 1, workout 7, you've probably been doing it for 3weeks? (edited - I now see you're on week 5)

When you say your jeans fit before, do you mean immediately before? And by fit do you mean a tight fit?

It seems strange that one could gain that much weight/muscle mass that quickly even if you have had a few high calorie days. Depending on how hard/heavy you're lifting it is possible that you're muscles are just inflamed. I know that if I really push it for a couple of work outs, I actually swell up fairly significantly.

Also could there my anything else going on that would have left you bloated today (time of month, high sodium, meals out at restaurants)?

I know this must be tough, but I would hang in there a bit longer, drink lots of water, and try to reign in the high calorie days and then see where you are in couple of weeks.
  • bethad5
    Options
    If your on Stage 1, workout 7, you've probably been doing it for 3weeks? (edited - I now see you're on week 5)

When you say your jeans fit before, do you mean immediately before? And by fit do you mean a tight fit?

It seems strange that one could gain that much weight/muscle mass that quickly even if you have had a few high calorie days. Depending on how hard/heavy you're lifting it is possible that you're muscles are just inflamed. I know that if I really push it for a couple of work outs, I actually swell up fairly significantly.

Also could there my anything else going on that would have left you bloated today (time of month, high sodium, meals out at restaurants)?

I know this must be tough, but I would hang in there a bit longer, drink lots of water, and try to reign in the high calorie days and then see where you are in couple of weeks.

I just mean prior to lifting. We have 'jean day Fridays' at work and some of the jeans I was able to wear this summer prior to lifting fit! If anything the issue was a muffin top - now my jeans won't go past my thighs to even see if they'd button!

It isn't TOM time - I'm right in the middle of my cycle. It could be sodium related, or just plain I-don't-drink-enough-water related ;) I guess for the sake of full disclosure I should add I had a date with some crackers and Justin's Maple Almond Butter last night and was hundreds over on my calories...but I'd expect bloating in the tummy, not the thighs?!?

I did workout B yesterday and did increase my weight on the deadlifts, and used heavier dumbbells on the squats, so it might just be swollen muscles... god I hope so, anyway. But my goals for now are to keep in my calorie goal, try to hit my macros as best I can, and drink my water! I think I'll weigh tomorrow morning to get a more 'real' idea - I'll have had a full rest day from lifting and I won't eat first. Hopefully the number comes down by then or all of my rationalizations will be a fail
  • Scrute11
    Scrute11 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, I don't think anything about this situation equates failure. It's awesome that you're doing this - maybe your program needs rejigging or you need to adjust things a bit to work for you, but neither you nor your rationalizations have failed.

Speaking of rationalizations, any chance your jeans have shrunk in the wash? ;-)
  • woodsygirl
    Options
    Have you tried the calorie calculator on the Scooby workshop website? I don't know what kind of job you do, but if you are lifting 3x a week (like the book suggests) and have cut back on your cardio maybe you are eating too many calories. I hate making that suggestion, because I LOVE to eat and see people who eat, but at the same time I understand that the book really doesn't do the best job calorie wise.

I would suggest grabbing a tape measure and maybe playing with your calorie intake. Are you trying to build muscle or lose weight? I do understand your pain a little, I tried on my jeans and they didn't fit me either even though i'm only up 1 lb now over the past 6 months. I guess this new curvy booty is just going to need a bigger size ;)
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If you're not overdoing it on the calories then were all your jeans "skinny" jeans? If you are building/repairing after a heavy lifting session you can be holding water/glycogen in your muscles. Are you using a protein supplement that has creatine in it? that can increase the amount of water your muscles retain after a workout.
  • bethad5
    Options
    Have you tried the calorie calculator on the Scooby workshop website? I don't know what kind of job you do, but if you are lifting 3x a week (like the book suggests) and have cut back on your cardio maybe you are eating too many calories. I hate making that suggestion, because I LOVE to eat and see people who eat, but at the same time I understand that the book really doesn't do the best job calorie wise.

I would suggest grabbing a tape measure and maybe playing with your calorie intake. Are you trying to build muscle or lose weight? I do understand your pain a little, I tried on my jeans and they didn't fit me either even though i'm only up 1 lb now over the past 6 months. I guess this new curvy booty is just going to need a bigger size ;)

Yes, I've looked at Scooby - for 'light activity' it puts me at 2100 a day for maintenance, which is what the book suggests for nonworkout days. I'm not sure I could eat that every day - or, god forbid, a 10% cut from that everyday - and ever feel like I'm not restricting myself!

When I started, I was hovering between 154-156. I'm 5'10" and my goal weight/what I maintained with excessive cardio for the better part of 1.5 years was between 144-146. I started NR with the hope of losing weight, but even if I'm still in the mid-150s but look slimmer, fine by me - I've just always been on the 'skinny fat' side. Being in the 160s almost puts me into a full blown panic attack, though. Maybe I should do the 300 cal cut like the book suggests? 1800 on non workout days and 2150 on workout days... it just seems like so little!
  • bethad5
    Options
    If you're not overdoing it on the calories then were all your jeans "skinny" jeans? If you are building/repairing after a heavy lifting session you can be holding water/glycogen in your muscles. Are you using a protein supplement that has creatine in it? that can increase the amount of water your muscles retain after a workout.

I do love my skinny jeans - I think my major problem is I bought most of my jeans last winter right after getting a cast off my foot (I had stress fractures in each feet, it was a long autumn) so I lost any muscle mass I may have had from running and had chicken legs. Even before NR the skinny jeans were a bit tight around the thighs, but I could still button them with only a minimal muffin top... today there wasn't even a chance. But even my 'normal' jeans - boot cut, flare, whatever - wouldn't go over my thighs today. I use GNC's 100% total whey chocolate protein powder - I'm not sure if it has creatine in it or not?
  • bethad5
    Options
    & that's the other thing - I was whining about it to my boyfriend and he was like 'it's because your butt is bigger!' and I must have given him the most outright look of horror because he quickly back-pedaled and was like 'no! not bigger as in wider (holding hands horizontally) - bigger as in HIGHER. it looks good!'

that doesn't really explain the jean dilemma, because I couldn't get them pulled high enough to even get to my butt... but it was still nice to hear. I'm thinking the +4 on the scale today is from water retention, weighing after a meal, and bloat from excessive carbs/fats last night in the form of an excessive amount of crackers and almond butter. I'm drinking my water today and will weigh in tomorrow to see what happens... if I'm still up pretty high, I might start tweaking the calories... I don't know though. The couple days I've been under my calorie goal I have been ravenous the next day/had very little energy. It almost makes me think my binges are because I'm not eating ENOUGH overall - again, this might just me be rationalizing eating more, I'm not sure.

this is why i'm freaked out: I was 147 at the doctor in May, then was doing too much cardio and not eating enough and got to 154. almost went and cut calories like crazy, but then found the EMTWL group - and did a full 8 week metabolic reset, eating at the 'strenuous activity' level on scooby (i was doing 5-6 hours of cardio a week) and ate a crazy 2655 cals/day (with some days that were over). 8 weeks later, I took a complete rest week where I still ate 2655 but didn't exercise. the result? i was 156.2. so yes, 2 pounds, but those 2 pounds could have been from anything, right? ....anyways, now i was at 160.6 this morning... meaning since my dr appointment in early may, 5 months ago, i'm up 13 pounds. this is why i'm in panic attack mode.
  • woodsygirl
    Options
    I totally understand the full panic attack mode, if I was up 13 lbs I'd be having a full panic attack mode myself.

I would try to just do a steady calorie intake, do a cut... try 15%. If you want to lose weight you are going to need to cut a little and not just eat TDEE.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I hate pants in general, they're uncomfortable for me. But I have one pair of tight jeans. They do not feel good, they were for wearing sexy shoes and a low-cut blouse with.

When I was in the middle of Stage 1, I tried to put on those jeans... and they went on... but they were BEYOND uncomfortable. I know it's literally impossible to get bulky in such a short time, so figured my thighs were a) swollen from the shock to my muscles and retaining water to heal, and b) just extra-tender for the same reason and making those jeans just too much. I put them in a drawer and forgot about them.

I tried them on JUST NOW ... lol

They fit just like they used to. Snug but bearable.

I've been eating a tiny bit above Scooby's "gain muscle, lose fat" amount, which is pretty much the same as the 300 calorie cut in the book. For Stage 1, I ate at the full percent, but I had a lot of trouble filling that up with healthy food so I've been doing lower calories. My weight and my measurements have stayed the same, and I just finished Stage 4 (I'm 5'7" and 135#-- not trying to lose weight; I'll go back to a 15 percent gain once my recomp is done; that should give me enough time for my healthy eating to keep up).

So you could (in my opinion) safely lower your calories to the cut, but then remember to be strict about keeping your proein intake high and spread out over the day.

I think the fact that you bought those jeans at a point where you had little muscle mass has a lot to do with it. Plus, face it-- women's jeans are not made for women who lift heavy. They are made for dieters and cardio bunnies because that is what the majority of the population is and that sells more jeans. So some of this might simply require adjusting your midset and lowering your expectations for jeans. Hey... you're squatting heavy. Those jeans are just not made for your thighs. It really is not you, it's the jeans :smile:

Above all, be patient. This is the long term solution you're doing-- no more chicken legs! :laugh: Go down to a 15 percent cut, get a pair of jeans that fit you, and go from there.

Oh and start taking measurements, that's how I know I'm on track-- I weigh in once a week (and ignore it on the TOM).
  • TeslaJoule
    TeslaJoule Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I think most of us have gone through a similar experience while doing this. It's one of those things that just isn't talked about. Mine was with a bridesmaid dress instead of jeans. I read somewhere recently that women can physically only gain 2.5 pounds of lean muscle per month, but you can't gain just muscle you'll always gain fat too. So most likely, you have a combination of 4 pounds of muscle, fat and water. But don't be alarmed!

Here's what I'm trying after being frustrated and in a similar position. I'm going to do HIIT and distance training between my workouts and do the 30% (or 15% or whatever in the book) cut. So on my exercise days (lifting and HIIT), I'm going to eat my higher level and the cut on non-exercise days. The HIIT should help continue to strengthen and decrease fat, but not build muscle. (Hopefully.) That's my plan for when I start stage 3 next week.

I hope this helps! Hang in there. It's a marathon and this is just a bump.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, you're scaring me! I would cut down calories a little and get at least some cardio back. You can do it!
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere recently that women can physically only gain 2.5 pounds of lean muscle per month, but you can't gain just muscle you'll always gain fat too. So most likely, you have a combination of 4 pounds of muscle, fat and water. But don't be alarmed!

Wait! You always gain fat when you gain muscle? Then that sucks! Why am I even working out to lose fat then? That can`t be true? Look at bodybuilders in contests.
    I really, really thought that working out with weights makes you gain muscle and lose fat. Steady state cardio only makes you "skinny fat" because your body has to eat your muscle to get through your high calorie burning workout unless you eat very carefully.

I don`t know though....
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    looks like you are eating to much

if you are trying to lose weight:
    if scooby puts you on 2100 for light active, do 10-20% cut on rest days (1680-1890kcal)
    and add 300 kcal on days when you lift (so 1980-2190)

if you want to add muscle not lose fat, then you are eating right, but you need to understand that with extra muscle comes extra fat, and after you are done bulking you need to go back to cutting to get rid of that fat while you keep almost all muscle mass...

this is how bodybuilders do it, they go on bulk for few months, then on cut. on bulk you gain muscles and fat, on cut you lose fat...
  • bethad5
    Options
    weighed this morning (since yesterday i weighed after eating, and the day after lifting) and was 161.

god I am depressed.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere recently that women can physically only gain 2.5 pounds of lean muscle per month, but you can't gain just muscle you'll always gain fat too. So most likely, you have a combination of 4 pounds of muscle, fat and water. But don't be alarmed!

Wait! You always gain fat when you gain muscle? Then that sucks! Why am I even working out to lose fat then? That can`t be true? Look at bodybuilders in contests.
    I really, really thought that working out with weights makes you gain muscle and lose fat. Steady state cardio only makes you "skinny fat" because your body has to eat your muscle to get through your high calorie burning workout unless you eat very carefully.

I don`t know though....

If you are bulking to add muscle then you will always gain fat, you then have to go on a cut to strip the fat away, bodybuilders will always have a strict cut before a competition plus they dehydrate themselves :)

being in a calorie deficit makes you loose fat, and using weights as part of your training helps to maintain your lean mass you already have but you will not gain muscle whilst on a calorie deficit.

I agree with Martucha, if you are trying to build muscle then fat just comes with it, if you are trying to lower your BF% then start by adjusting your calories a little bit.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    weighed this morning (since yesterday i weighed after eating, and the day after lifting) and was 161.

god I am depressed.

I'm wondering how you felt before the jeans thing and weighing? It sounds like you look great from what your boyfriends said! I am not trying to make light of the situation at all, because I would be upset too, but really, if it's just 4 lbs...you *can* definitely lose 2 lbs of fat in a month. There are so many people here who have lost hundreds! I'm in a group called "in place of a road map" where they show you how to do a calculation of calories you should consume while lifting if you want to lose weight at the same time. They aren't too low- you will get used to it quickly! And from what people are saying you will likely keep all the muscle even if you lose fat at this point. Don't be depressed!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I may be in the minority saying this...and I promise I'm not saying it ugly...I think you are eating too much. Going by a week or so I saw many days that were WELL into the 2000...even 3-4000 one day. That will add up. On the other hand, I give you a massive standing ovation for being accountable and writing down EVERYTHING you eat. I know on days when I go out to eat or something and eat way too much I never even try to write it down and be accountable for it. That takes guts....so good for you girl!!

I would cut back the cals by a couple hundred and see how that helps. Not low cals...just a bit. Can't hurt? Good luck!!!