Zucchini & Cheese Low carb Casserole

Options
mstorvik
mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
It's my new picture!

Here is the original recipe:
http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2011/08/26/garden-zucchini-pizza-casserole/

Here is what I did! I even changed the serving size :) You can tell I just kind of threw together whatever I had. NOTE: I used avocado with water in place of the tomato sauce. So the grease was a tad green when you're eating it - but who cares :)

Zucchini and Cheese Low Carb Casserole
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 30 to 40 minutes

For the “Crust”:
i lb shredded zucchini
½ teaspoon salt
3 oz. shredded colby jack cheese
2 eggs, lightly beaten

For the Toppings:
1 pound ground beef* - I used 25/75 but I would use 3/4 a lb and then put in spicy pork next time
2.25 oz red pepper
2.75 oz chopped onion
4 oz. fresh mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 T kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 avocado mixed with 1/4 c. water
2.5 oz colby jack shredded
1.5 oz parmesan shredded

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

2. Sprinkle the shredded zucchini with the salt and let stand for 10 minutes. Drain well until dry (I squeeze my zucchini out in a clean kitchen towel).

3. Stir together the zucchini, shredded cheeses and the eggs. Once combined, spread the mixture onto the bottom of a 9×13-inch pan. Bake for 20 (I did 25) minutes or until set and golden brown in spots.

4. Meanwhile, brown the ground beef along with the veggies until the beef is cooked through and the vegetables are soft. Stir in the avocado mixture and spices. Let simmer together for about 5 minutes.

5. Spoon the filling onto the prepared zucchini “crust” and top with the shredded cheeses. Return to the oven for an additional 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. I also broiled the top of it for 3-4 minutes

Cals: 402, carbs: 6, Fiber:2, pro: 23, fat: 31

Replies