Does anyone else have this problem?

Options
danne32339
danne32339 Posts: 155 Member
Hi Everyone,
I had gastric sleeve surgery in June. My doctor has me on a 1200 clorie diet. I am having the hardest time getting in enough calories in. I get full so quickly. This seems to have slowed my weight loss down. Any suggestions?
Thanks and have a great day,
Doni

Replies

• ragslittle
    ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about this. Your sleeve will stretch a little in the next couple of months. I am about 6 months out and I am just now getting to 1200 calories and getting my water in. I worried about going into "starvation mode" but eventually it all worked itself out. You may want to do more protein shakes or drink higher calorie shakes for now.
  • danne32339
    Options
    Thank you for the great advice. I will give it a whirl.
    Have a good weekend.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    1200 calories at only 3 months out is a lot. Your ticker says you only need to lose 18 more pounds. That's why your loss is slow.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    At this point I worry more about protein intake than actual calories. It is rare that I could get in 1200 calories and not by food alone. I still use protein shakes to make my protein goals. I shoot for at least 60/day...closer to 100 if I can manage it.
  • heres2anewme
    heres2anewme Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am 19 months out from RNY surgery and I still depend on protein drinks an I think I always will, they are a great way to refuel after exercise or before, for that matter. There is no way that I can eat enough food to get my protein in if I don't. I don't know what they want you eating with the sleeve at this time, but with both my lap band an RNY I was to get at least 70 g proteins, no more than 100 carbs and no more than 27-32 grams of fat. I got off track and am just getting back on but as of today I have lost a total of 6.5 lbs since Friday. I am back to eating like I did right after surgery, although I do have a meal that is mainly protein once a day, but low carb and most of the time low fat.
  • vmudgett
    vmudgett Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    @Laura8603 You have lost over 200 pounds!! Way to go!! I am at 90 with about 50 more to go. Any advice?
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I am three months out from sleeve surgery and have a hard time getting 800 calories in a day. I do focus on protein try to get 80 grams in a day. I have to drink a shake for breakfast in order to get close to the 80 grams. My nut. told me I need to get in 1000 cals a day but I just don't see how I could without grazing all day and they don't want you doing that. I was also told I need to start eating some veggies and fruit. I have been only eating foods with at least 7 grams of protein in it for meals and my 2 snacks. Veggies and Fruits don't have alot of protein in them. I have ate some shredded lettuce and seedless green grapes this week and did ok with them.
  • danne32339
    Options
    The only way I can come close to getting my calories in is to graze. I spoke to my doc about it on Wednesday and she said she did not have a problem with it if it helped me get my protein and calories in.
  • lowe1961
    lowe1961 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery in July and I was told to get in at least 60grams of protein. And to stop eating before I got the feeling of full. I was getting in about 900 to 1100 calories. Now that I have stopped before im full I get in about 700 to 900. And my weight loss has started up .
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    UNLESS THERE IS A REASON NOT TO, A LITTLE EXTRA "GOOD" FATS LIKE OLIVE OIL IN YOUR VEG HELPS GET THE CALORIES IN LINE IF YOU REALLY THINK YOU NEED IT. CALORIES, 120 PER TBSP. MY DOC IS AN ADVOCATE OF 1 TBSP OF HEALTHY FAT DAILY. I HAVE RNY BUT FATS ARE INCLUDED IN THE EATING PLAN FOR SLEEVE PATIENTS TOO.

I KNOW A FEW FOLKS WHO HAVE A TBSP OF PEANUT BUTTER DAILY. I DID THIS WHEN I COULD NOT GET MYSELF TO AT LEAST 600 CALORIES FOR THE DAY. IT WAS NOT ON MY PLAN AT THE TIME BUT I WAS NOT COMFORTABLE WITH SO FEW CALORIES AND IT WEND DOWN EASY.

ALWAYS CHECK WITH YOUR PRACTITIONER. I WOULD NOT WANT TO SABOTAGE YOUR EATING PLAN.

I'M NOT YELLING AT YOU I'M JUST HARD OF SEEING :-)
  • cinnygirl38
    cinnygirl38 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I sure wouldn't force any extra food, if I weren't actually hungry. Your sleeve will stretch soon enough, and you don't want to have any bad habits started. A protein shake is a great way to get in some extra calories and protein to boot. I personally wouldn't worry about being under 1200 calories at this point in the game.
  • cl54ej1970
    Options
    for your veg's try v-8 juice low sodium
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    When I had my RNY in 2009 I remember eating calorie dense protiens mostly. I tried not to do low fat cheese sticks (I did regular), I ate greek yogurt a lot and tried to add a few extras here and there -- an extra handful of soy nuts on my salad or some peanut butter with my banana. When you have RNY it is all about malabsorption and your body truly is in starvation mode. I recognize this is not the case for the sleeve. My fiance had the sleeve in May 2012 and he did great with just his protien shakes and high protien foods.
  • suzend
    suzend Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I definitely would NOT do the grazing!!! Protein shakes or high protein foods (cottage cheese, greek yogurt, Kellog's protein bars (10g of protein in each). If you start grazing, you may get into the habit.

I had RNY in 2005, lost over 120 pounds, found out I'm an emotional eater, started grazing, gained back 80 (which I've lost 20!!!).

I would concentrate on protein most of all. Three months out isn't very long. I'm not quite sure what the difference(s) are between RNY and sleeve (malabsorption, vitamin deficienties , etc)?