Xylitol - Net Carbs?

Options
mstorvik
mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
So, I bought a bunch of this... hearing good things about it helping your teeth. Now I see it has 4 sugar alcohol carbs per tsp and a glycemic index of 7.

I'm going to use it... but obviously in moderation. My question is - do I count the 4 sugar alcohol carbs as net carbs?

I think next time I may get Erythritol. :/ I only want to use it so I can do a little baking here and there.

Replies

• LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I subtract fiber crom carbs but nothing else, so I count all sugar alcohols and glycerine as carbs. My preference.
    Each sugar alcohol is metabolized differently. Some near 100% (ie 4 calories per gram) just like a carb. Some only a fraction of that. Hint: The lower the digestibility of a Suger Alcohol the higer the chance that it will give you intestinal distress.

I really try to limit that stuff. I tolerate Erythrytol pretty well but don't care that much for the "cool" sensation one gets from it. I'll often use 1/2 the amount called for by a recipe and substitute some other AF in for the rest.

My favorite AF is Sodium Cyclamate, but I have to have it imported from Canada or Australia. The US banned them back in the 70's but kept Sacarine. Using the same test results Canada banned Sacarine but kept Cyclamate. Humm?