Am I doing this properly?

Options
After a month of using ShapeUp Club (a terrible app!) i started using MFP, and am into my second week of tracking here. I first used MFP's projections of 1330 calories a day, I think, but then happened across the EM2WL group and thought I'd give this a try. I just want to check if what I have calculated sounds correct to someone more knowledgable than me.

I am training for a half marathon and so currently running about 22km/2.5 hours in total per week (will be getting up to 40km in a couple months). I also use the Nike Training Club app 3x a week for strength workouts, using skipping rope and dumbbells at home - I can't afford a gym! Also, I walk to work 40 mins a day most days.

I just spent my first day eating 2035 calories a day based on Scooby's Workshop calculator:
- body fat of 26.3 % (military calculation based on Dan's Road Map post)
- height 65 inches
- weight 162.4 pounds
- 30 y.o female
- 30/30/40 protein/fats/carbs.
- 3-5 hours a week of moderate exercise.

So my BMR is 1544 and my TDEE is 2394. Using a 15 per cent calorie reduction from the calculator at Scooby's Workshop, I'm eating 2035 calories a day and won't be eating back my exercise calories.

Does that sound like I've got it sorted out?

It was so difficult to eat that many calories today, and I ended up scrounging around for pure protein to make it up in the evening and definitely need to cut out the sugary snacks (my diary is open!) - but boy, do I feel better during the day! Interested to see if I lose any inches though!

Replies

• beachnik00
    Options
    OK so after a couple hours reading I figure... I eat 2035, and through my exercise I lose 500 cals, but I don't eat those back because it's not below my BMR of 1544... i think.

Some confirmation would be muchly appreciated for this noob!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    You have it all correct:)
    And you are not a noob:) We are all beginners at some point:)
  • beachnik00
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Just a note - there's really no "giving it a try" when it comes to EM2WL.

If you can make it past the mental issues in the first 2 weeks to do with bloat and general weirdness as well as scale weight increase (inevitable) then you're set for life. You won't want or need to go back.

This is a huge lifestyle change and it makes every other thing you've tried seem silly.

Welcome to the club!
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You have it totally figured out!! Well done and I really hope you enjoy the extra cals, it's awesome eating so much and still dropping fat :D

Just a word of advice... don't use the scale for an accurate measure of progress. It may not ever move downward again (certainly hasn't for me). Mirror, clothes, photos and measurements are your friends now :)
  • beachnik00
    Options
    Just a note - there's really no "giving it a try" when it comes to EM2WL.

If you can make it past the mental issues in the first 2 weeks to do with bloat and general weirdness as well as scale weight increase (inevitable) then you're set for life. You won't want or need to go back.

This is a huge lifestyle change and it makes every other thing you've tried seem silly.

Welcome to the club!

Good advice thanks... I don't intend to go on the scales at all!
  • beachnik00
    Options
    You have it totally figured out!! Well done and I really hope you enjoy the extra cals, it's awesome eating so much and still dropping fat :D

Just a word of advice... don't use the scale for an accurate measure of progress. It may not ever move downward again (certainly hasn't for me). Mirror, clothes, photos and measurements are your friends now :)

Thank you! Good to know the scale numbers haven't moved for you - I'll prepare myself :)