What do you think about while planking?

120weeks
120weeks Posts: 242 Member
This may seem like a silly question, but I need ideas on where to put my mind when I am planking. I do well when I think about things other than time and watching my stopwatch. I'm up to a minute (I cannot believe I did it!). Help?

Replies

• roxedy
    roxedy Posts: 49 Member
    I try to focus on my breathing. I'm such a dofus about holding my breath or not having the proper rhythm that I find it to be not only a necessary focus point but it also has the side bonus of distracting me from whatever else I may be doing.
  • Kyrosh
    Kyrosh Posts: 238
    I try to focus on my breathing as well. I wanted to be kick *kitten* and do 2 minutes non stop (after having done no planking previously) and I've done it :happy:
    I was so proud of myself.
    Also, I put some music on to keep my mind from thinking about that timer lying next to me....
  • sherim71
    sherim71 Posts: 130 Member
    Repeat what they said. I am focused on my breathing to hopefully be able to increase my time.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    I don't think I think about anything - not much good at multitasking! I can't think while my body is focused on planking! Well, I think about the time a bit - I look at the stop watch, and I count in my head.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    I just focus on my breathing and telling myself I can do this!!!!
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    I pick a spot on the floor an focus on that and on my breathing.
  • cristeberga
    cristeberga Posts: 251 Member
    I have tried a few things:

1. Focus on my breathing and form.
    2. Think about something I have to do afterwards.
    3. Picture a six-pack in my head while walking in bikinis on the beach. :laugh: It helps me to stay strong. :bigsmile:
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    i try to sing this silly little kiddie song in my head about being a Koala not a bear LOL

Though this morning i sang some other song that was an adult song, can't remember what it was, its one i only know the chorus to, so it didn't take me very far LOL
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    At the gym, I focus on breathing. At home, I'm usually focusing on not falling on whichever girl has decided ti crawl under me.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    Haha! I think about how strong my core is getting, and that my mommy tummy muscles are coming back together. Seriously!
  • "Why the hell am I doing this to me ....this hurts ..."
    afterwards I look at the pictures of me 2 years ago and I know why :-)
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    You all gave me great ideas! I love the descriptions of little kids underneath and singing silly songs. I really tried this AM to do what the majority of you do and that is to focus on breathing. I can't do it (yet). I usually really pretty good at focusing on everything else, so I am surprised I can't do it. I'm shaking, shifting, trying to remain calm. I will keep trying! :flowerforyou:

Yesterday, my visual was to think about each month and what kind of outfit I want to be wearing. Occccccctoooooobeeeerrrrrrrrr......jeeeeeaaaaaannnnssssss and sweeeeaattteeeeeeer.......Thaaaaaaannnnnkkkssssssgivvvvviinnggggg.......ssssiiiiiiiizzzzzzeeeeeeeee sixteeeeeeennnnnn slllllaaaaaakkksssss anndddd annnnkkkllleeee boooottttssss. ETC! I got to June and I was only at 50 seconds, LOL!

On my wall, my friend (who is doing this challenge too) says she thinks about how much she hates me for asking her to do it :laugh:
  • rcb1963
    rcb1963 Posts: 69 Member
    I just pray that the time will go faster:wink:
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    I count the seconds. I try to count slowly so that when I feel like I have longer to go when I am about done. I am so tricky with me that way ;-)

I also think about engaging my transverse abdominal muscle to strengthen my lower back while I'm planking.

I have the tv on in hopes of being fully distracted, but that has yet to be successful. It's hard to get your mind off of the plank.