September check-in and chat thread

Options
ishtar13
ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
Since it's the 3rd and no one has set this up yet. . . . (I'm doing 3 sets instead of 5 - 5 sets were requiring 2-4 days off and I was only getting in 2 workouts a week).

Yesterday:

Squat:
Warm up: 45 lbs, 7 reps; 70 lbs, 5 reps; 95 lbs, 4 reps; 105 lbs, 3 reps
Sets: 115 lbs, 3x4*
Bench:
Warm up: 45 lbs, 7 reps; 55 lbs, 5 reps; 60 lbs, 4 reps; 65 lbs, 3 reps
Sets: 72.5 lbs, 3x5**
Pendlay Row:
Warm up: 45 lbs, 7 reps; 55 lbs, 5 reps; 60 lbs, 4 reps; 65 lbs, 3 reps
Sets: 75 lbs, 3x4***

*First time back at this weight since my 20 days off. Not making 5 reps this time is no big deal.
**While I made the 5 reps each set this time, it was really tough and there was 1 rep that didn't quite touch my chest. I may only go up a pound or so next time instead of another 2.5.

***First time at this weight.

Replies

• Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'm getting back on track today. The past two weeks my husband and I have let ourselves skip days to "make up later" - yeah, that never happens like you plan. I did B yesterday morning, and am going ahead and doing A tonight to get back on the MWF train.

I finished my first try at squats at 115 pounds yesterday - woohoo for the 35# plates!

I'll still be at 75 for bench presses today, and I think I'm deloading my rows - maybe all the way down to 55 or so. I think I've been letting myself get by with sloppy form, and I need to fix it.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Maybe a "duh" update for the rest of y'all, but you really do need that full day in between squats. Ooch.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting a thread Ishtar!
    Maybe a "duh" update for the rest of y'all, but you really do need that full day in between squats. Ooch.

Haha, yeah, you'll only try that once!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody
    I'm starting today. :smile:
    Have been lifting for few months and can deadlift my BW, but the program makes me deload to the minimums (20 kg for squat, bench press and 40 kg for deads). Never did rows, so today will be my first attempt.
    Very excited about it.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I'm on Starting Strength, and hoping to make some progress in September! At the beginning of the month, I'm at

Squats 125 lb
    I think I really hate these as they've caused me so much anguish with deloading and trying to get my form right. But ... they are such a good exercise!

Overhead Press 46 lb
    Very slow progress and feel very weak

Bench press 79 lb
    Again, I'm struggling to increase this.

Deadlifts 143 lb
    I had to deload these in August, but they're steadily going up again, so I'm quite happy.

Power snatch 57 lb
    I'm struggling to add weight and I think that's to do with technique as much as strength.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    hi everyone,

i'm new to SL, but after 9 sessions i would say i'm slowly chugging along.

squats: got to 60lb but then had to deload, so watched form ultra carefully from 50. i'm back to 60 this week and won't sweat it if i need to stay at 55 for a while. i have a glitchy lower back and hips and a shoulder injury that i'm cautious about so slow progress there is ok with me.

ohp: moved the oly bar with tragic form so swapped out for 20lb dumbells. may switch to a non-oly barbell to practice form but the shoulder keeps rotating and elbows keep poking out.

bench: 60lb. no spotter, so proceeding cautiously with this one, but enjoying it. does anyone else ever feel like the bar/bench alignment is completely off-center when peering at the grip lines while laying on the bench? to me it looks like it's several inches left of center, but according to actual measurements, it's right. it must be my perspective. i'm trying not to overthink balance.

rows: 70lb and really stumped with form. put it down on the ground each time and release? hold and straighten, then bend and row? at what point do the shoulders come together, top of the row? bring bar to upper abdomen or lower?

deads: 115. this is higher than i got with nrolw and i'm really just focused on form. if i can go up that's a bonus.

i'm eating 1590 plus about half or sometimes more of exercise cals and seem to be gaining a bit of muscle. struggling to find meatless protein without gorging on greek yogurt and soy.

and that's my nutshell :D
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Yesterdays workout, starting Week 9:

Squats - 105 pounds, 5x5

OHP - 67.5 pounds, 5x5

Deadlift - 130 pounds, 1x5

My fractional plates came a couple days ago so I got to try them out on my OHP. I think the 2.5 increase instead of 5 did the trick!! It was still very challenging but I was able to do all 5 of my sets.

Welcome to the new people, very nice to see new faces!
  • classictoaster
    Options
    Hey guys!

Today I busted out:

Squats: 125lb
    OHP: 50lb
    Deadlifts: 115lb

Squats are starting to kill me again - which is frustrating because I'm only 10lb away from using the 45lb plates!! Alas. I'll probably retry 125 next session and see how I feel before moving up (form over weight and all..)

Continuing to take OHP and Deadlift slow as well. Form feels good on both, so I'm interested to see if I can put up 55 on OHP next time I do it.. hrm.

Happy September!
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Hi girls! Yesterday I had a pretty disappointing day at the gym due to my second OHP failure. I busted out 120 on squats and 175 on dead lifts (remind me to never dead without a 45 pound bumper plate!...I had to bend way too low and it was tough!) but that pesky OHP is killing me. I find myself loathing doing it and I get anxious about it before even going. This lift hates me and I hate it back. Last week I did 70 lbs at 5, 5, 3, 3, and 5. Yesterday, I only managed three sets at 3 and then I wimped out and flat out quit. I am not usually a quitter so my wimping out is what really has me irked. I have been eating at maintenance (or even slightly above) for the last two weeks so I shouldn't be losing strength. I'm going to do a de-load to 60 lbs and this time bump up a pound at a time instead of 5 or even just bump up reps for a few weeks before bumping weight.

Hope you all have a great September and that we ALL see some improvement :)
  • abirkel
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I just started a few weeks ago but I love it so far!!

Squats: just did 70lbs 5X5 yesterday
    OHP: barely eeked out 5X5 at 50lbs but I am still not really sure about my form. Where are my elbows supposed to go? They always end up pointing out to the side but I am not sure if that is bad or not. Will probably stay at 50lbs because I definitely don't feel at all ready to progress to 55 with good form.
    DLs: 95lbs yesterday! I didn't start at 95 like Mehdi suggests.
    Pendlay rows: 55lbs. I really hate these. My form always feels...just weird. I posted on Fitocracy about them the other day and someone suggested trying an underhand grip so I will try that next time.
    Bench: just did 55 yesterday and felt like it was still pretty easy. I'm sure I'll stall out here pretty soon.

What I really like about SL so far is that my formerly total-couch-potato husband is doing it with me! And he really enjoys it, too....and not just because my booty is becoming all the more fabulous every time I add weight the the bar. :)
  • ishtar13
    Options

OHP: barely eeked out 5X5 at 50lbs but I am still not really sure about my form. Where are my elbows supposed to go? They always end up pointing out to the side but I am not sure if that is bad or not. Will probably stay at 50lbs because I definitely don't feel at all ready to progress to 55 with good form.

Are you locking your elbows at the top? Mine don't "point" anywhere because they're straight. They are facing outside, I think.

Here's a couple of Rippetoe videos to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJFjYyA40ss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAXPJ3PfdyY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm1KxY8Me3Y
  • ishtar13
    Options
    Today:

Squat: 115 lbs, 3x5
    Overhead press 60 lbs, 3x5 (FINALLY)
    Deadlift: 120 lbs, 4 reps
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    This morning was epic success, I did a warmup and cooldown set of 55kg for squats, and 3 good sets at 70kg. OHP was 22.5 kg, which was hard, but Im getting back up after shoulder ouchy, and deadlifts was a full set of 5 75kg, I was stoked. I think reducing the sets of heaviest squats left more in the tank for deadlifts, cant wait to up these again!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I came looking for the September thread this morning, as I lifted last night for the first time in over a week! (vacation last week and a bit of slacking, too)

Squats: 115 lbs (4th time...mainly cuz I'm nervous to increase, but I'll be increasing next time)
    Bench: 80 lbs. I had to deload a couple weeks ago from being sick. I'm not quite back to my highest of 83 lbs.
    Rows: 75 lbs. Highest was 76, but I also deloaded this one due to being sick in mid-August.

Oh, and I've switched to 3x5 on the upper body exercises (bench, rows, OHP). At least for a while. I'm still squatting 5x5.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Today I did:

Squats - 110 pounds 5x5 (next time I get to load up the 35's!)

Bench - 90 lbs./87.5 lbs (3/4, 3, 4, 5) I had to deload a little, 90 was insanely hard!)

Rows - 80 lbs. 5x5 (deload on these since last time, due to bad form. I was really struggling with 85 lbs the past 3 times)

Haven't turned into the Hulk yet....lol
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Deloaded, taking it easy this week.

Squats 160 - 15 down, so weird but feels good on my legs the day after :laugh:
    Bench 95 - did not deload, same weight
    Rows 95 - my lower back still sore as hell
  • ishtar13
    Options
    Today's numbers:

Squat: 120 lbs 3x4
    Bench: 75 lbs for 4/3 then 74 lbs for 5 reps
    Rows: 75 lbs for 3x5
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    but that pesky OHP is killing me. I find myself loathing doing it and I get anxious about it before even going. This lift hates me and I hate it back. Last week I did 70 lbs at 5, 5, 3, 3, and 5. Yesterday, I only managed three sets at 3 and then I wimped out and flat out quit. I am not usually a quitter so my wimping out is what really has me irked. I have been eating at maintenance (or even slightly above) for the last two weeks so I shouldn't be losing strength. I'm going to do a de-load to 60 lbs and this time bump up a pound at a time instead of 5 or even just bump up reps for a few weeks before bumping weight.

Hope you all have a great September and that we ALL see some improvement :)

I found that I have to progress slower on the upper body compounds. I am still at 37.5 kg (82.5 lbs) OP and 55kg (121 lbs) BP. I have been stuck here for 3 weeks with both. Have deloaded and still seem to hit the above weights again with no hint of going over them. Although I have not tried the deload, up weights for a few sets and then do one last lift as one complete set, above the previous best. I am a little peeved too. DL, squats and BR all seem to be improving nicely (hmmm although 70 kg/ 154 lbs BR is a huge challenge and I almost swore after trying a set a couple of days ago)

I don't want to have to go back to my personal trainer (have other things to save up for now and it is a money drain even though I enjoy being pushed by a shouty Welshman who looks like Vin Diesel's smaller twin) to push me over these weights. Dum de dum...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options

rows: 70lb and really stumped with form. put it down on the ground each time and release? hold and straighten, then bend and row? at what point do the shoulders come together, top of the row? bring bar to upper abdomen or lower?

Lower to the ground, keep back straight, tense glutes then raise to abs or chest again, no release unless you find grip slipping (I use chalk to stop this from happening now I am getting heavier on these)

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-master-barbell-row-technique/
  • ishtar13
    Options
    Today:

Squat 120 lbs, 3x5
    Overhead: 62.5 lbs for 4/3/3 (first time at this weight)
    Deadlift: 120 for 5 reps, (only managed 4 last time)

Edit to add: Random gym guy made my day. He came over very purposefully to the cage. I thought he was going to ask to work in or how much longer I had, but instead, he said, "I just had to say, FANTASTIC squat form! Most people don't do it right, and you're doing great!"

That made my day, really. I did tell him that on my way out and we had a brief conversation.