Anyone care to share?

I just had the surgery but my husband and I have been talking and wondering what my "diet" will be like say 1 yr out? 3 yrs out? 5 yrs out? etc?

Anyone care to share how far out you are and what a typical day is like for you? Do you still weight/measure your foods? Are you able to ever indulge in say a piece of birthday cake or some Chinese food? etc?

Thanks,
Erin

Replies

• Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    I'm 4 years out now from my RNY. If I did not track my food I'd probably maintain 15-20 pounds heavier, but I like being thin so I still track most of the time. I can pretty much eat anything now but make healthier choices 90% of the time. I can eat pretty normal sized meals now, which is why many post-ops get themselves into trouble around the 2-3 year mark. Stay diligent.
  • JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    I had my RNY on 4/9/12. Look at my diary.....I track everything I eat. Hope that helps.
  • I am 11 months post op. Right now, I am able to eat normally. I eat from a salad plate at home and order kids meals when go out. I stop eating at the first sign of being full. Still not drinking and eating at the same time. I have a cup or 2 of coffee or tea when I get up. Breakfast is usually greek yogurt or a protein shake as I am not a big breakfast person. Lunch is still my favorite meal of the day. My appetite started to increase around 6 months out. I do still measure my food. I log EVERY bite that I put into my mouth. I did eat cake in July at a baby shower. (It was also my birthday) I don't eat Chinese food, but I do enjoy Japanese Hibachi. I ask them not to use any oil, and I don't get the rice. If I am eating out with friends and there aren't many healthy choices, I stick with a grilled chicken salad or a kid's meal. It takes a real effort to make the right food choices on stressful days. Exercise is so important . You don't have to do the most, but, you've got to do it. I do some form of exercise everyday for at least 30 minutes. I'm taking this one day at a time.
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Thanks everyone! This is all so encouraging! I look forward to being the one x number of months/years out who can give support to those starting out! :-)
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    I weigh and measure most things. Sometimes once I weigh it enough I can sort of eyeball it...but will occasionally measure it to be sure my "eyeball" isnt growing! I have to be careful because at this point I find I can eat more...so I really have to be careful. On the days that I find bad habits creeping back in I can really tell the difference!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Great topic Erin, I was wondering this myself. Sounds like maybe bread/pasta/rice may be off limits permanently based on some responses. Anyone care to comment about that...maybe Laura since you are 4 yrs out.
  • (I had my gastric bypass (RNY) over 13 years ago. I am able to eat just about anything. I still dump if I have more than 1/2 cup of icecream or anything with a lot of sugar. Which is a good side effect of my surgery. I have learned over the years just how much of certain foods I can tolerate before they make me feel as if I will vomit. I do have to watch the quantity of meats I eat, such as steak, hamburger or roastbeef. They seem to get stuck if I eat more than a few bites and will come back up. I drink as much coffee, coke or water as I want. I still do not eat and drink at the same time. Just for the fact that the liquids fill me up and I can't eat much.

I have worked my surgery as it was intended from day 1 and have never had any problems. I started at about 283 and for about the last 10 years have leveled off at 155-160. I'm 5'8" so that puts me in a size 10 or 12. Last December I had surgery on my foot and was not able to exercise or barely walk. I then put on about 20 lbs. I found MFP while I was on sick leave for my foot and was bored and surfing the net. I have lost 12 lbs of the 20 and have about 7 left to go. I will never let my weight get out of control every again!!!! I am currently on my third week of Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30. Love it!

Sorry if I got off topic. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me. Good Luck.
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Great topic Erin, I was wondering this myself. Sounds like maybe bread/pasta/rice may be off limits permanently based on some responses. Anyone care to comment about that...maybe Laura since you are 4 yrs out.

You are correct!

I am almost 6 months out (as of September 23rd)............I absolutely cannot eat any bread, pasta or rice whatsoever. White potatoes are limited. These foods just fill the pouch up and have no nutritional value to them at all. I'd much rather eat a huge plate of beans than a slice of bread!

I was eating normaly around the 4 month mark, however, I have turned completely vegetarian as my body can't breakdown and process animal fats/proteins any longer. I can eat tuna/tilapia/shrimp though. I live on beans, Greek yogurt, seeds/nuts/grains. Have started incorporating English muffind and tortillas. I can do pita bread. LOVE HUMMUS! Bean salads, grain salads, absolutely no lettuce whatsoever. I eat more veggies than I do fruits (sugars).

I stay away from most dairy products and eggs, as they cause terrible dumping.

Here's a recent post I made about the pros and cons, TO ME, of the surgery:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/730392-life-so-far-after-gastric-bypass
  • FrancoiseR
    FrancoiseR Posts: 1 Member
    Greetings - I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if this is redundant. I had RNY surgery on May 7, 2012. I really struggle with the protein and I'm forcing myself to just eat it! My question is for the people who have lost their weight - What was your approximate calorie intake during the honeymoon phase? I try to eat around 900 a day and exercise for a hour most days a week, but my weight loss is pretty slow right now. My surgeon set my goal at 20 lbs a month, so I need to lose 22 more between now and October 7th to stay on track. :noway:
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    I am 10 months out. I was logging all the time before I had surgery and after surgery. About a month ago I went on vacation and missed a day that one day messed me up. Now I track here and there but I still measure my food. I eat pretty normal. Most gastric bypass people probably consider this taboo but I will sometimes eat cereal (Kashi), I eat bread sometimes and will even taste my husbands pasta. Pasta fills me up too quickly and is my trigger food so I try and stay away from it. Same with bread but sometimes I like having a sandwich! lol. So I will eat half a piece a bread. My NUT says that I am doing fine because I am eating in moderation and within my goals so it works for me. Some days I can eat something and the next day it will make me feel sick. I just recently have been able to eat salad without issues! :-)
  • I like hearing the answers myself since my surgery on 5-9-12 so I am kinda wondering the same thing.

I also am on Facebook "The World According To Egg Face" and she really helps out a lot since she had her surgery.

I was told rice and pasta swell in the stomach so you wont get very much protein in and bread just kinda balls up and sits there.