Successful Harvest

Options

Replies

• RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I'll be back in a stand first thing tomorrow morning. I'll let y'all know how the hunt went tomorrow :).
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Fresh snow this morning showed no tracks through lunch. Was frustrating. But tried out a new coulee after lunch. About a mile and a half, with some hills beyond. Picked up a trail and followed clear through to the top. Couple of mulies bedded down in some trees -- just 15 feet the wrong side of the fence.

Stock still, a little yearling poked around the corner ... probably 25 feet away. Just stared, walked a few steps toward me, stopped, walked again, stopped ... finally bounced, but the others didn't seem to mind.

Backed away and circled a hill to get behind a tree. They started to walk, but called to them. Did that a few times and got attention enough that they actually crossed the fence and headed my way! 125 yards, nailed a little 2x2 buck. Not huge, but hadn't seen anything else today so it was huge enough -- and I still have three tags. So a young buck in the freezer? Win.

(Hauling it two miles back, through the sage, however? Has left me so damned sore!)
  • hunter1025
    hunter1025 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Great story and congrats. Meat in the freezer is a good thing.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Fresh snow this morning showed no tracks through lunch. Was frustrating. But tried out a new coulee after lunch. About a mile and a half, with some hills beyond. Picked up a trail and followed clear through to the top. Couple of mulies bedded down in some trees -- just 15 feet the wrong side of the fence.

Stock still, a little yearling poked around the corner ... probably 25 feet away. Just stared, walked a few steps toward me, stopped, walked again, stopped ... finally bounced, but the others didn't seem to mind.

Backed away and circled a hill to get behind a tree. They started to walk, but called to them. Did that a few times and got attention enough that they actually crossed the fence and headed my way! 125 yards, nailed a little 2x2 buck. Not huge, but hadn't seen anything else today so it was huge enough -- and I still have three tags. So a young buck in the freezer? Win.

(Hauling it two miles back, through the sage, however? Has left me so damned sore!)

I really want to go west and hunt some mulies some day!!
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    here's a shot of little bambi

2012-10-24_13-14-10_649.jpg
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    That is just awesome! Congrats!
  • hunter1025
    Options
    Awesome job. I have seen 1 buck all season. With Monday being the last day of archery I hope the hell I start seeing some buck. The signs there. We will see what happens.
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    Opening weekend of rifle in Vermont. Heading up with hopes of filling the freezer. Be safe, shoot straight!
  • hunter1025
    Options
    Good luck. My buddy got a nice one yesterday. I will post pics later.
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I went out yesterday morning but was a bit cramped for time because my dad had to go to work in the afternoon. I've been working so much overtime I really haven't had time to hunt during the week (and hunting on the weekend is off limits in the park we manage until the new year). I saw nothing all morning but my dad took out his ninth deer, a decent sized 5 point. As we were dragging it out we came across a big buck, most likely the big 8 pointer we have been seeing around. He looked at us for a minute and then high tailed it. I know I will get more deer this year I just have to put in the time in a stand instead of overtime at work.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Our shotgun opener is Thursday but I will be working a buck pole so I will not get out until Friday.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    got out again this weekend. no luck. didn't even see anything, actually. but down to whitetail tags, so lots of walking in the woods. which -- even with the minus-8 windchill -- makes for a great day.
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    Opening Day in VT...2 doe walking at me, stop 12-15 yards away, my rifle up waiting for the buck that should be following (3pt minimum during rifle). 4 minutes later, still with rifle up...No friggin buck. Lead doe blows at me and they take off.

Day 2...Me and 2 friends reach the top of this high ridge. we're talking about where to go from there...a 6 or 8 pointer and 2 does come trotting from another ridge and into the brush. No shot available due to not wanting to hit a doe.

Day 3...entering the woods at the edge of a field, up out of the tall grass come 2 deer.....both doe!! They literally run less than 6 feet in front of me. I actually felt the wind from them.

It is always great to see deer and it was awesome to have 2 so close but my freezer is empty. 2 weeks to opening day in Mass. Grrr!!!
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    I went out yesterday morning but was a bit cramped for time because my dad had to go to work in the afternoon. I've been working so much overtime I really haven't had time to hunt during the week (and hunting on the weekend is off limits in the park we manage until the new year). I saw nothing all morning but my dad took out his ninth deer, a decent sized 5 point. As we were dragging it out we came across a big buck, most likely the big 8 pointer we have been seeing around. He looked at us for a minute and then high tailed it. I know I will get more deer this year I just have to put in the time in a stand instead of overtime at work.

I'm sorry, did you say 9th deer?? this year???
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    see, I prefer does. as far as meat goes, anyway. either that or younger bucks. they get too old and the meat just isn't good.
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    see, I prefer does. as far as meat goes, anyway. either that or younger bucks. they get too old and the meat just isn't good.

I prefer does as well but VT is very strict with their laws.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    can't hunt a doe? crazy. I have three doe tags this year. and the A tag is either sex, either species in most areas of the state.
  • CarrieBeard
    CarrieBeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Passed on a doe with my bow.... and have been harassed nonstop for it!... she was less than 10 yards... broad side. (First year to hunt with a bow) Does are legal in Mississippi, but at 78 degrees and mosquitoes swarming... I really didn't want to fight to save the meat. Soooo I video'd her instead. :embarassed:
    I'll try again tomorrow... weather man says temps should be in 60's.

Saturday is the opening of our regular gun season. Sitting on READY!
  • hunter1025
    Options
    Passed on a doe with my bow.... and have been harassed nonstop for it!... she was less than 10 yards... broad side. (First year to hunt with a bow) Does are legal in Mississippi, but at 78 degrees and mosquitoes swarming... I really didn't want to fight to save the meat. Soooo I video'd her instead. :embarassed:
    I'll try again tomorrow... weather man says temps should be in 60's.

Saturday is the opening of our regular gun season. Sitting on READY!

Good move. I hate when it's warm out.

Bear season starts Sat and the Monday after Thanksgiving is our gun season.
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    can't hunt a doe? crazy. I have three doe tags this year. and the A tag is either sex, either species in most areas of the state.

You can only hunt doe during bow season in VT