Hello everyone! (Please read)

Options
If you haven't already read one of my previous posts, here's the plan as of now. I hope to have up and running, a Goog Excel Doc, that will keep track and tabulate everyone's weight loss journey from week to week, right up until the new year. That's 15 weeks of tracking. I've had a few people suggest that we also keep track of body fat %. This will require a bit more set up, but I don't think it should be a problem.

Please post any questions or suggestions you may have. I can't promise that everything suggested will be acted upon, but if enough people ask for something I'll do what I can to make it happen.

Also, if anyone is interested in being a moderator, please apply. I'm going to try and do this myself, but if it gets to be too time consuming I may call on you in the near future.

Lastly, anyone who considers themselves a Goog/Excel aficionado and wouldn't mind helping me with the excel sheet if need be, please message me. I should be OK, but because I want to get this thing done by Monday, it would be nice to have a ringer just in case.

Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• yummymummy2013
    yummymummy2013 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello I am very interested :) Thanks Crystal :)
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I'm joining too. Thanks OP.
    As for body fat. My body fat scale stinks. I can get 20% one moment and 39% the next. It all depends on the impedance of my feet and moisture makes a big difference it seems. and I'm not about to pay to get dunked in a pool every week but I'm fine with others tracking it if they think that they have reliable methods (interested to hear what those are).

For me, having to go out and buy smaller pants is all I need to know about my body fat for now.
  • SlickDaddyCool
    SlickDaddyCool Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    As for body fat. My body fat scale stinks. I can get 20% one moment and 39% the next. It all depends on the impedance of my feet and moisture makes a big difference it seems. and I'm not about to pay to get dunked in a pool every week but I'm fine with others tracking it if they think that they have reliable methods (interested to hear what those are).

For me, having to go out and buy smaller pants is all I need to know about my body fat for now.

Hello there,

BF% tracking is not necessary. I just had a handful of individuals that requested it, so I thought I would try and include it.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I am definitely IN....I do have a suggestion though that I heard in your topics posted about this...Could we somehow track inches...A whole lot of us are having issues with the scale not really being the best way to determine your health & losses...I understand tracking BF% but as was said above some people have no way of tracking that. So maybe somehow tracking inches would be terrific. (Not sure if you would need specific spots to measure or if that would make this too hard to set up?) Waist, hips, thighs, biceps maybe since those are the main ones that I think people care about. Just a thought. Thanks for forming this group & I look forward to getting started with it!!! :bigsmile:
  • cpsdcarroll
    Options
    I'm in!

Interested in everyone's fasting protocol.

I'm starting with Leangains style, which is basically an 8 hr feeding window each day. For me, this will be eating from 1PM-9PM, then fasting until 1PM the next day. Nutrition strategy will be nutrient cycling: high carb, low fat on training days; low carb, high fat on rest days; protein is kept high always (>200g/day). Training days are 3000kcal, rest days are 2000kcal. I should also note that "training" refers to high intensity, low volume, compound movement resistance training (think squats, deadlifts, chinups, etc)

I've also seen a lot of good stuff coming out of Brad Pilon's corner, with his twice weekly 24 hr fasts.

Then there is Carl Lanore's strategy of fasting as it occurs naturally in your life.

Anyways, thanks for taking this on!
  • wayne0mahoney
    Options
    Hi All
    I have joined the group

Started the 5+2 fasting two weeks ago and weighed in at 86.8KG

Today is fasting day two of second week and feeling really hungry but will keep going.
    Not weighing myself until Sat 8th

Good luck all
  • SlickDaddyCool
    Options
    I am definitely IN....I do have a suggestion though that I heard in your topics posted about this...Could we somehow track inches...A whole lot of us are having issues with the scale not really being the best way to determine your health & losses...I understand tracking BF% but as was said above some people have no way of tracking that. So maybe somehow tracking inches would be terrific. (Not sure if you would need specific spots to measure or if that would make this too hard to set up?) Waist, hips, thighs, biceps maybe since those are the main ones that I think people care about. Just a thought. Thanks for forming this group & I look forward to getting started with it!!! :bigsmile:

At this point, I don't think tracking a bunch of separate measuring points would be practical for me. I have been toying with the idea of using 1 spread sheet and allowing everyone to input what ever they want into that weeks square.

For example, if you were tracking weight, you would just put down 150.7 lbs. Then 150.7 goes in.

If you were tracking BF%, then I would enter 32.5. It would be obvious what you were inputting because of the discrepancy b/w the two.

You would have to stick with one of the other for the entire 17 weeks for it to add up correctly.

In regard to inches, I guess if each person sort of added up all their inches and then inputted them as one total each week, this could also be done. You would be looking for a loss of inches regarding the whole package. This would be the only feasible way of doing it, I think.

Again, I'm not totally down for adding so many variables when we're just starting out. This is my first group and I still haven't had a chance to gauge the response and what the group as a whole wants to do. But, I do appreciate your suggestion and will take it into consideration.

Thanks!
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I just started a 16/8 on Aug 27 at 192 lb., eating around noon after a fasted workout. I was stuck for months at the same weight, and am interested to see if this can push me over. The last check on the gym scale said I was 16% but that was a while ago. I would like to drop to 12% or so and then bulk. It may be my imagination but I think I can see a difference in composition already.
  • CantarellaMiyani
    CantarellaMiyani Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am in! Just to be sure I'm clear, though, the first weigh-in is on September 10th? Is there a place to post starting weight (which I'll get when I get home today)?

Also, is there room for a comparison thread? Who does what intervals for fasting, who does other eating/lifestyle plans like vegan or paleo in addition to IF?
  • SaziK2012
    Options
    Hey I'm starting the 5/2 fasting. With a limit of 500 calories on fasting days. Choked with the cold at the moment so haven't been to the gym in a few days ( and also been having a bit of a feeling sorry for myself munch) so not quite sure where my weight will be sitting. Let you know once I weigh
  • SlickDaddyCool
    Options
    I am in! Just to be sure I'm clear, though, the first weigh-in is on September 10th? Is there a place to post starting weight (which I'll get when I get home today)?

Also, is there room for a comparison thread? Who does what intervals for fasting, who does other eating/lifestyle plans like vegan or paleo in addition to IF?

I think, Week 1 will be our starting weight.

Thanks.
  • shrinkwithdanni
    shrinkwithdanni Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm in up for a challenge, will weigh myself tomorrow and will post it here! Great ideas keep me posted and feel free
    To add me keep each other motivated! :)
  • sassi5
    Options
    I am in! Sounds good.
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Hi IF-Fasters. ! I'm in.

This is Day 1 of fasting until 1pm----with the 8 hour meals window until 9pm. I am also very interested in possibly adding the two-500 calories days. This would be a good place to experiment. with that. My food plan is for the moment a commitment to very clean--mostly raw foods----with only the protein (fish only) cooked.

I'm impatient! Thanks Slick for getting this going.
  • Blunderguff
    Options
    I'm intrested. I do 3 types of IF. 1- is 48 hour water fast. 2- is 20/4 3- is 18/6.

I do
    1- once or a month
    2-Non workout days
    3-workout days
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    As for body fat. My body fat scale stinks. I can get 20% one moment and 39% the next. It all depends on the impedance of my feet and moisture makes a big difference it seems.

Hello there,

BF% tracking is not necessary. I just had a handful of individuals that requested it, so I thought I would try and include it.

I have a Tanita scale and frankly, I think it underestimates my body fat percentage, especially compared to the "Military" calculator online. But I try to weigh myself under the same conditions each time, and it is a benchmark.

I'm 101.5 today and 20% fat (which may be actually 24%). I'm as focused on bf % as the raw weight number. Would love to get a Dexa scan some day.

I was once in an office weight loss pool that pissed me off. I didn't lose 10% of my weight and lost. I weighed something like 98 pounds. That was an unfair standard for someone of my height and weight.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    I do 14/10 once or twice a week. Often I don't plan it. But it still counts. :smile:
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    Slick Daddy, etc.,

Again, I really like that this is a longer-term approach and that it will be in effect through the holidays. This is SO much better than waiting for New Year's to roll around. In fact, I don't even make resolutions anymore -- it's too demoralizing to fail time and time again. :smile:
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    If you haven't already read one of my previous posts, here's the plan as of now. I hope to have up and running, a Goog Excel Doc, that will keep track and tabulate everyone's weight loss journey from week to week, right up until the new year. That's 15 weeks of tracking. I've had a few people suggest that we also keep track of body fat %. This will require a bit more set up, but I don't think it should be a problem.

Please post any questions or suggestions you may have. I can't promise that everything suggested will be acted upon, but if enough people ask for something I'll do what I can to make it happen.

Also, if anyone is interested in being a moderator, please apply. I'm going to try and do this myself, but if it gets to be too time consuming I may call on you in the near future.

Lastly, anyone who considers themselves a Goog/Excel aficionado and wouldn't mind helping me with the excel sheet if need be, please message me. I should be OK, but because I want to get this thing done by Monday, it would be nice to have a ringer just in case.

Thanks! :happy:

I don't know much about Excel, but I have access to an educational subscription series on it and could look it up if you need help.
  • Womberbat
    Options
    I have some excel know how... glad to help if you need it :happy: