I'm So Sore!

Options
Hey guys! Coach Josh here to talk to you about sore muscles after your workout. This is a big topic because everyone has been through this. How many times have we been “Gung ho” about starting up a new workout only to feel like we just got hit by a truck on day two? Lol! Anynone who has been out of the game for a while or is trying to bring more intensity into their routine has experienced muscle soreness.

It’s not fun, but is it so severe that we need to quit our workout? Not necessarily. Most of the Beachbody programs won’t work the same muscle groups with the same intensity 2 days in a row. My recommendation for a program like P90X or Insanity is to push through it! You are going to get sore, no getting around that. This is where most people quit the workout all together. I know this because I did, twice! I could hardly climb the stairs 2 days after Plyometrics and the last thing on my mind was another day of P90X. Well guess what guys, it really will get easier. If you just get through the first 2 weeks you’re going to find it easier to “Push Play” everyday. You will start to get through the week without becoming sore at all!

Now some people think that if they DON’T get sore after, that they didn’t Bring It hard enough. Is this true? Nope. When your muscles are worked hard, your muscle fibers tear on a microscopic level and it takes time to repair that muscle. You may even be more sore the 2nd or 3rd day than the 1st. The good news is that your muscle is not only repairing, but becoming stronger at the same time. You shouldn’t be that sore with the same exercise anymore!

How to prevent it:

When working out, make sure all of these are part of your routine: Warming up, Stretching and Cooling Down. This is a good way to prevent sore muscles. So many of us want results NOW……afterall this is America! lol. We want it NOW! Be patient and progress into the program slowly. Don’t try to get 90 day results in one week. It’s just simply not possible.

How to treat it:

Massaging will loosen up the muscles a bit so you’re not so tight and light stretching or movement will make it more comfortable for you, but as much as I hate to admit it this is where YOGA does wonders! I don’t like to do yoga, I would rather do Core synergistics during my P90X schedule. However, I remember being almost completely relieved from my soreness the day after I did Yoga. It’s amazing what it does for your body. The creators of P90X really knew what they were doing when they decided to throw Yoga in the mix!

Also, proper nutrition is huge to muscle recovery! When you put your body through an intense workout, your body is depleted of certain minerals such as Glutamine and Creatine. These are both natural minerals in your body that you can buy to supplement what was lost. The Results and Recovery drink has everything your body needs to be replenished of everything that was lost. You can also get Glutamine and creatine at GNC……that’s what I used and just mixed it into my Shakeology every morning right after my 5am workout.

What NOT to do:

Don’t be a couch potato! Haha! Sure your body needs rest, but active recovery is so much better for your muscles than nothing at all. Keep moving around! A lot of you who go to work and sit at a desk might feel more sore than others just because you are sitting all day. Make a point to get up every 30 minutes and walk around, stretch out a bit, do some light squats or lifting wherever you feel the pain, but nothing too intense.

Push through it! I know it sucks but once you are through those first couple of weeks, you are so much better off! Bring It!

God Bless!

www.LetsGetRipped.com

PS: If you don't have anything positive to say that might be helpful to the group, I would advise to not comment. Keep your comments clean and appropriate for all readers. This group is for those who are excited about getting fit and want to motivate each other in that journey. If you do not know how to be encouraging then please move on. Thanks again!

Replies

• vinshirb
    vinshirb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yo Coach! Man, I cannot tell you how fortuitous it is that you posted this today. I am mid-way through the P90x program and I still struggle sometimes with soreness. I recently went on the lookout for a supplement to help with this and found L Glutamine. There's no science to back it up but it is safe and athletes everywhere swear by it, including my brother who is a pro biker. Thank you for your motivation, I'm definitely going to push through the pain now.
  • CoachJoshT
    Options
    Hey man! That's great to hear you're bringin' it! Keep staying strong! Glutamine supplement is perfect! It's already in our bodies and helps with the recovery process......supplementing it just puts back what was lost during a torturous workout like P90X! So stick with that and EAT CLEAN! The right nutrition will speed up recovery also!

Take care!