Women's back and arm training tips?

Hello Stroutman! Can you suggest any strengthening/toning tips women can do for our back (upper - specifically the dreaded "bra hangover area in the back" and lower) as well as arm exercises? I'm open to anything from gym equipment, resistance bands, weights, or just body weight in general used for exercise.
Thanks! :-)

Replies

• Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,023 Member
    I was wondering about this, too. Also, if doing push-ups... is it okay to do them daily or is it better to have some "recovery" days?
    Thank you so much for your time.
    Linda
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Hello Stroutman! Can you suggest any strengthening/toning tips women can do for our back (upper - specifically the dreaded "bra hangover area in the back" and lower) as well as arm exercises? I'm open to anything from gym equipment, resistance bands, weights, or just body weight in general used for exercise.
    Thanks! :-)

Remember, we can't spot reduce fat. Meaning, we can't pick a specific location on our bodies that's holding fat and target it with exercise. We can target the muscles under fat, sure. But we can't flex fat. It's going to come off in a patter that's genetically predetermined.... irrespective of what we're doing with the muscles under it.
  • stroutman81
    I was wondering about this, too. Also, if doing push-ups... is it okay to do them daily or is it better to have some "recovery" days?
    Thank you so much for your time.
    Linda

Depends.

If push-ups present a big challenge to someone, which tends to be the case for many women, then I wouldn't go doing them daily. At least not initially. On the flip side though, if someone is relatively strong, and doing push-ups with solely body weight is far off from their maximum ability... I don't see a problem with it.

However, it begs the question of what else are you doing? If all you're doing is pushups, you're leaving a LOT on the table as far as benefits go. Plus, you're potentially setting yourself up for some imbalances and even injury by training so unbalanced. For example, all that pushing should, at the very least, be balanced by an equal volume of pulling.

Most people could stand more pulling than pushing in the programs even.
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,023 Member
    Thanks so much! Very helpful posts!
    Linda
  • stroutman81
    You're welcome, Linda!
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    So what are some good pulling workouts to work in there? Is that like the lat pulldown and things like that?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    So what are some good pulling workouts to work in there? Is that like the lat pulldown and things like that?

Pulldowns are great. Overhand and underhand. Wide and narrow. One arm rows. Pull ups if can do them.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member

Pulldowns are great. Overhand and underhand. Wide and narrow. One arm rows. Pull ups if can do them.

Thanks! I do all of those but my pull-ups are assisted since I can't pull myself up yet.