Am I eating too much protein?

Options
SereneRose
SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
Hey.

I started the Keto plan yesterday and was told to keep fats high but I think I'm going over on the protein. I want to hit ketosis will this hinder my efforts? I have pcos so is a struggle as is.

My diary is open, meals are a lil mis matched as I'm just throwing things together to try reach the numbers. Macros are 5% carbs, 60% fat and 35% protein.

Advice on getting fat and calories up appreciated and I exercise 5 days a week and not sure if I should eat back.

Thanks

Replies

• foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I dont know how people do it. I always go over on protein. I've heard that some people add non protien things to their diet like heavy cream...which stalls me, or they eat spoonfulls of coconut oil...which I cant do. Some pork items have more fat than protein. Best thing I can come up with is to add extra fat at every opportunity. Coconut oil in my coffee, cook everything in fat, pork rinds. It's a challenge. I'm curious to know what people will tell you.
  • Nixenne
    Nixenne Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of burgers, almonds, cheese, avocado, eggs, full-fat dressings, olive oil, butter and--of course--bacon, and I use heavy cream in my coffee. Sometimes I'm a bit over on protein, but usually I end up fairly close to my macros without adding anything extra just for fat/calories. It gets easier as you go on, in my opinion. :) Feel free to add me as a friend if you want, I'm pretty strict about logging everything I eat.
  • SereneRose
    SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for the advice.

I am finding it frustrating what to have for my meals so i'm throwing things together and so far it is OK although it is only day 3 :smile: Don't really drink coffee/tea, I have one sugarless tea in the morning and that's it.

Realised today I cannot have cinema popcorn so that's a bummer so thinking of other snacks to take in, so far considering home popped corn unflavoured or nuts.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for the advice.

I am finding it frustrating what to have for my meals so i'm throwing things together and so far it is OK although it is only day 3 :smile: Don't really drink coffee/tea, I have one sugarless tea in the morning and that's it.

Realised today I cannot have cinema popcorn so that's a bummer so thinking of other snacks to take in, so far considering home popped corn unflavoured or nuts.

I've been making a big pot of something meat in the crockpot each week so I have a backup meal to eat (Taco chicken, mushroom pork chops). Also, planning my meals out a day ahead and pre-logging helps a lot! I haven't done that the last couple days and I've either gone a bit over or am scrambling to use up my cals/carbs. On an ideal day I'll eat at least one salad and one protein shake to help get my protein and fiber in!

For the movies, how about some peanut butter (or almond butter) celery and some string cheese. Sliced cucumbers, low sugar jerky? I've been taking my nephs to the $1 movies this summer and I buy them popcorn and take snacks in for me.
  • SnugNuts
    Options
    Add cheese, avacados, cream, bacon fat to your food. I can usually hit 35-45% of protein on my macros and be ok, and one day isn't going to kill you with overloading on protein.
  • leftoverbun
    leftoverbun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself lacking fat, you can have a salad with dressing. Any carbs in the lettuce won't derail you.
  • Keto_Keith
    Options
    Use some 70/30 ground beef yo make a taco salad. Or make a burger with it... You won't be low on fat (g). Mix up some mayo and yellow mustard for dipping. Top with cheese and bacon. It's a burgergasm!!!
  • Mfarris77
    Options
    All the above advice is awesome. I'm rocking a 12-15 hundred calorie per day deal that has me spot on at 60/35/5 naturally. But I love sausage, hamburger, avacado, and most of all, CHEESE! This is by far the best "diet" I've ever been on. Hell, I ordered pizza last night and ate the toppings off of it.