What's your rep method... and why

Options
Ladies that lift:... question - when you do your reps do you increase with ea set (i.e. 1 set 50x6, 2 set 55x6, 3 set 60x6...) or do you do the heaviest you can for several sets per work out & increase weight per workout - this is what i'm doing and it seems to be working - but i remember back when i used to competitively bench in hs, we did the first method & i'm not sure why - just curious...

Replies

• doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I generally do a progressive overload style workout, which is similar to the example you listed.

This will give you some idea of what it entails:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/goulet11.htm
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I have stuck to doing less than 6-8 reps, going to failure each time (or right close to failure) and naturally the reps decrease with each set.

The only exercise that I increase the weight for on each set is deadlifts, because it works best that way. Deadlifts for me require a really good warm up so for example when I wanted to go for 95kg max, I would do 20, 50 (as warm ups) then start the sets on 70 and 80 as sort of second stage warm ups and then 95.

I don't really have a specific reason why I do what I do, apart from that it's what seems to work well for me.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I typically have been doing sets of no more than 10 down to 6 reps, increasing the weight through the sets. I have tried other rep schemes such as the 5-3 -1(reps) workout or there is the buckeye workout also for building strength. 5 3 1 didn't work for me for strength though, I think each person is different.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input ladies. Still not sure what i'm going to do the next go around - but i'm leaning twds the same thing i'm doing now, although i'd like to change it up, i don't have a spotter when i workout so i end up at the machines for several moves; which means i can generally only go up by 10 not 5, and that usually leaves me having to get good & comfortable with a weight about a wk longer than i would if i had a spotter & using free weights.

but i'll keep researching... I like the idea of using the pyramid method for my compound moves.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I did a lifting program called 6-pack prescription (I think) about 10 years ago, and that's where I learned to do 3 sets of 4-6 reps. So I would aim to get 4 reps out of my last set and then collapse. If I'm in the middle of a set and it looks like 6-6-6 is going to be too easy, I increase. So it's fluid but that's my general principle, and it translates well to NROL, which I'm doing now.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My workouts are similar to what Polly is describing. If I am able to obtain my max desired number of reps for the first two sets then I increase weight on the the third, and then that weight is usually what I start my next workout with.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I do the same reps. for each set with the same weight and if I need to increase I do it next WO.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    My workouts have varying reps and sets for each exercise that I do. Some have 2 sets and some have 3, some have 15 reps and some have 12 and then there are some that I do as compound sets or pyramid sets so no 2 exercises are the exact same and each week seems to vary as well (I do a 6 week workout plan from Muscle and Fitness Hers).
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I usually increase weights for each set. In terms of rep, I do low reps for compounds lifts and 10-15reps for isolations. At the moment I am pregnant so I am doing 10-15 reps for everything.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies, it sounds like most of you do what i'm doing now. I think i'll stick with it thru my next 12 wks, i'm gunna try a clean bulk for the first 6 wks of that 12 wks & see how my reps progress.

I'ev seen increase doing what i'm doing - i was just curious if i needed to change it up - but if i'm upping the weight when it gets too easy - i guess i'm still challenging my body :D

My stomach still isn't where it needs to be - but it was closer 2 wks ago before i started backsliding with my diet lol! so i know i can get it there - i just gotta buckle down... but i'm hoping my bulking will grow my midsection muscles & booty/ leg muscles a bit more noticeably... we shall see. One thing i've learned is it isn't always a simple 1,2.3 for fitness, it's trial and error until you find you perfect physique (in your mind) and then maintainance :) ...

**look for another post***