Bulking at 10% BF

Options
HI guys,

I'm about 6-7 lbs from my BF target. When I hit it I'm planning to go back to a 5 day split with a view to getting AWESOME ^^

Here's what I'm wondering, is it possible to add muscle at a reasonable rate while staying at 10% BF or do I need so many calories to bulk I HAVE to gain fat?

I'm really hoping the answer is I can do a lean bulk...

Time is no problem, I've got about 50 years to get where I'm going.

Replies

• guppy1697
    guppy1697 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Everything I've heard/read on it seems to be that on a bulk, some of what will you gain will always be fat since you are in a caloric surplus.

However, if you are eating clean and your surplus is minimized about 250-500 calories above maintenance, it will limit your fat gain and help you bulk and continue to look cut.

Anyone else agree/disagree?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Either take the slow road and eat slightly above maintenance. gains will be slow but you should stay lean.

or be more liberal with bulking, then clean things up after.

Carbohydrate back loading might be worth looking into as another option.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    It is easier to shed off the fat once you obtain more LBM. Some people don't care and want to avoid a lot of fat gain during a bulk (which is inevitable). Even on a slow bulk where you eat 5-10% surplus above TDEE you will still gain some fat (even eating cleaner) but it will be minimized.

I plan on doing 2-3 month bulk cycles with 1 month cut, but I will eat 20-25% surplus during the bulk.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Its easier to just man up and put on the fat, you dont really cut and bulk for more than 3 months at a time and if you ever see anything in the mirror that offends you that much you stop bulking
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Yah, beware of the "too much not enough" effect. By trying to avoid fat you also avoid gains, and nothing really moves.
    Genetics,routine and intakes will determine your ability to store body fat. Joe is right here, always easier to shed off fat than gaining muscles :)

Now the more your BF is low, the more time it would take to higher the BF, TDEE being linked to the BF level. From 5 to 10% the time to put a significant amount of BF is longer enough to stop the bulk before. (bulking being stressful for the body, it's usually not a wise move to go over 3 or 4 months)
  • ADHDentrepreneur
    Options
    I have done both. I bulked to 275lbs eating $100/day worth of everything, and am bulking right now while maintaining/losing some body fat even. I prefer my leaner physique now.
    "lovedeadlift" has some good input, and carb backloading is popular and valuable. I use it with some of my weight gain clients. Anyone gaining weight must understand there is a "point of diminishing returns." Eating more does not necessarily increase protein synthesis, or maximize gains at all. The body CANNOT be forced to grow and will only grow so fast no matter what. You must find the calories and heavy lifting program that allow growth with little to no body fat increase. This makes me the most content, probably the same for most others. I, for example, need about 400grams of protein and 6000 calories to grow at all. Anything less and I stay the same.. Find that point for you, IMO, is the best advice. You can stay sub 10% and add muscle if you are very disciplined and educated. Go for it!
  • suwonfish
    Options
    Thanks guys, lots of excellent advice here!

I will attempt a lean bulk by being super careful with nutrition (eating at ETEE with as much protein as I can fit in, ideally 50-60%). When I up my cals to ETEE I'll start a thread posting my results.

Again, thanks all.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    It is easier to shed off the fat once you obtain more LBM. Some people don't care and want to avoid a lot of fat gain during a bulk (which is inevitable). Even on a slow bulk where you eat 5-10% surplus above TDEE you will still gain some fat (even eating cleaner) but it will be minimized.

I plan on doing 2-3 month bulk cycles with 1 month cut, but I will eat 20-25% surplus during the bulk.

Agree... Do a normal bulk and cap body fat levels around 15%.