bulk/cut/maintenance vs. reset/cut/maintain

Options
So, I’m wondering how the bulk/cut/maintenance cycle works for those who still have a lot of weight to lose (like me)? Do we have to go directly into a cut after the metabolism reset? Are we just going to alternate between cutting and maintenance with no bulking?

Also, how is your weight training supposed to train between a bulk and a cut? Should you lift extra heavy during a bulk? Remain on the same program? Switch to circuits during cut? If so, what about losing strength when you switch from lifting heavy to circuits?

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose you are not going to bulk, as bulking makes you gain weight.. Your mostly going to eat at cut, and sometimes at maintenance (break week or whatever).
    Also during your weight training you should always be lifting heavy to challenge your muscles.. there is no real extra heavy, you should be lifting to failure (like 8-10, 10-12 reps if you can do 20 reps+ at a weight, increase weight).. you should also be switching your weight training program every few weeks/months as your muscles will get used to your routine.
    As for losing strength, if you are in a cut, you always have a chance to lose muscle but eating correctly and getting the right amount of protein will reduce the possibility of losing muscle.. Also eating at a cut will probably not build new muscle, but tone and make your current muscles you have work better for your weight loss.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Quick question on strength.
    I know if you don't switch up the routine, your body adapts and just gets use to it. Does it maintain it's currently level of strength/fitness or does it actually make you lose the strength/fitness you gained initially?
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    bumP
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I know if you don't switch up the routine, your body adapts and just gets use to it. Does it maintain it's currently level of strength/fitness or does it actually make you lose the strength/fitness you gained initially?

It will cause a plateau, you will basically just do the same amount of weight and same reps.. doing anything more will be challenging, if you take a extended break and go back to the same exercise you have a chance of losing what you gained but that all varies on you.
    Remember doing the same exercises and using the same muscles while in a cut doesn't mean your body won't use the muscles you are NOT using for weight loss.. That is why you should do a whole body exercise or a variety of exercises to work as many muscle groups at once..
    Example you do the "show" muscles, arms/shoulders/thighs.. you work these groups and nothing else.. that doesn't mean when in a cut your body won't use the muscle in your back, calf, abs or other parts you aren't working out.. this is why you see people that are tone and skinny but have no calfs.. ya not doing your calf raises/lunges.. so when you go to workout those parts of your body you may be noticeably weaker than other parts of your body.. sure you can squat 400lbs but you can't do a pull up.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The reason I ask is because I am only looking to maintain composition. I have had the same routine for a while. I am not looking to lose bf, but I don't want to gain it either