Low carb and MFP exercise allowance

Options
Hi, I'm new to this. Quick question. I want to restrict my carbs to no more than 45 grams. I love to run, not fast or hard, but I live in beautiful nature and a morning run through the rice paddies is meditation for me, although I usually only manage 4 times a week. So, I have set my macros to reflect the 45 grams for carbs, but then when i add my exercise in, MFP adds a whole lot of calories for me to eat back (yes I've read all the debates and I try to eat them all back) including some of them carbs. What do I do? stick to my original 45 gm and add my cals in with fats and proteins? Or eat back the added carbs too? I am trying to lose a little stubborn weight, but mostly the Primal lifestyle appeals to me because I have been a slave to what I call "mouth hunger" as opposed to real stomach hunger, all my life, and want the cravings and binge eating to end. What's the call on that?

Replies

• LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    (yes I've read all the debates and I try to eat them all back)

Well if that is your conclusion then I guess you are stuck because I think that most of the exercise value from many sources are WAY too high (as you do also it seems) . I try to not eat back any more than 1/2 of my exercise calories. That seems to work for me. If I exercise 1000 calories and don't eat any back I wind up feeling out of energy the next day.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this. Quick question. I want to restrict my carbs to no more than 45 grams. I love to run, not fast or hard, but I live in beautiful nature and a morning run through the rice paddies is meditation for me, although I usually only manage 4 times a week. So, I have set my macros to reflect the 45 grams for carbs, but then when i add my exercise in, MFP adds a whole lot of calories for me to eat back (yes I've read all the debates and I try to eat them all back) including some of them carbs. What do I do? stick to my original 45 gm and add my cals in with fats and proteins? Or eat back the added carbs too? I am trying to lose a little stubborn weight, but mostly the Primal lifestyle appeals to me because I have been a slave to what I call "mouth hunger" as opposed to real stomach hunger, all my life, and want the cravings and binge eating to end. What's the call on that?

I am restricting carbs too....I am following "net calories" so the only *extra* carbs I allow are fiber. That means that I might show that I have eaten 120g, but 20 of them are fiber, so they don't count. I eat exercise calories, but not the extra carbs allotted from the exercise calories. So I guess that means I eat them in fats and protein...
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    If you are not running "fast or hard" then the body doesn't tap into the glucose (whether it is coming from the diet or the muscle/liver), it runs on fatty acids/ketones so there is no need for extra carbohydrate in your day.

I could walk all day every day at a moderate pace and not need any supplementary carbohydrate.

As far as the whole 'eating back calories' thing goes I think body composition is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise so I see any exercise I do (mostly walking, some push-ups) as fairly unimportant for body composition (resistance is good to keep/bulld muscle though) but good for other things (mental state, etc).

I've never logged exercise, way too tedious for me and I'd wager that the estimated calories burnt are way off. And who says 500, say, calories burnt mean that 500 calories of fat is going to be somehow magically removed from your body? It just isn't going to happen, the body isn't a magical calorie/fat cash machine.

I concentrate on eating right first and let the body sort out the rest.

I used to exercise like mad and it did me no good whatsoever from a fat-loss point of view.

Just my weird world ;)
  • kabirmasto
    Options
    Thanks, that's really helpful everyone. I guess I need to reconsider the "eating exercise calories back". MFP suggested 1200 a day for me and I find that on days that I have added my exercise calories in I can easily manage, and often can't eat all back, but on the days when I haven't exercised, 1200 seems a bit skimpy and I'm often over about 100-150. Maybe I just need that amount. I suppose it's a matter of trial and error and just finding what works best in terms of feeling sated AND losing fat. Thanks again.
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    It seems fairly common that once people have adapted to using their fat as the primary fuel source (as opposed to the glucose that all carbohydrate metabolises down to) they have less hunger and the issue of creating a calorie deficit is a non-problem.

I'm a few months in and I find that it's more of an issue to make sure I get enough rather than cut back. If in doubt I add fat, a big dose of coconut oil is not going to harm anything much less turn into fat :)

The fat-burning adaptation can take around 3 weeks in some people so in this period the body will probably be craving stuff that it has been used to having as fuel. Once over this though the feeling of not being a slave to food and calories is great.

I have a theory that once we are generating our energy internally (from our fat stores) then the need for external calories goes down by a fair amount. I'm not saying starve yourself but more to listen to the body and recognise actual hunger. Something that is easier to do once you get off the blood sugar rollercoaster :)

I wouldn't eat any other way now, it just feels so right.
  • kabirmasto
    Options
    Thanks DeadVim, very inspiring. I will be patient.
  • xMillyLouisex
    xMillyLouisex Posts: 171 Member
    Options

I'm a few months in and I find that it's more of an issue to make sure I get enough rather than cut back

I have a theory that once we are generating our energy internally (from our fat stores) then the need for external calories goes down by a fair amount. I'm not saying starve yourself but more to listen to the body and recognise actual hunger. Something that is easier to do once you get off the blood sugar rollercoaster :)

I wouldn't eat any other way now, it just feels so right.

hahaha forgot to put my post underneath -

i 100% agree with this! im the same :)
  • debk3p2
    debk3p2 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

...the body isn't a magical calorie/fat cash machine.

Just my weird world ;)

I really wish it were though. So much easier! Just need a pin number and some walking shoes and I'd be good to go :)
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    I really wish it were though. So much easier! Just need a pin number and some walking shoes and I'd be good to go :)

Indeed so, we can all do basic math, we can all be honest and log what we put in our mouths and our exercise and still we generally tend to fail to make long term progress on fat loss. It's not through lack of will.

Why is this? Because our bodies don't want to give fat up, never mind the calories.

It's a bit more complex than calorie balance, this much I instinctively know is true.