Should I Eat at Maintenance or Slight Deficit?

Options
Carolyn_79
Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
In about a month's time, I'm going to start Body Beast which is a weight-lifting program by Beachbody. I still have a bit of weight to lose so I'm not sure if I should eat at a slight deficit during the program or eat at maintenance? I'd like to build muscle but my understanding is that I can't do that in a deficit. If I eat at maintenance, can I build muscle and burn fat? I'm just not sure how to approach this and any insight would be appreciated. I would like to lose inches at least even if the scale doesn't change.

Thanks!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    In about a month's time, I'm going to start Body Beast which is a weight-lifting program by Beachbody. I still have a bit of weight to lose so I'm not sure if I should eat at a slight deficit during the program or eat at maintenance? I'd like to build muscle but my understanding is that I can't do that in a deficit. If I eat at maintenance, can I build muscle and burn fat? I'm just not sure how to approach this and any insight would be appreciated. I would like to lose inches at least even if the scale doesn't change.

If this close to goal weight also means decently low on bodyfat, you'd be hard pressed to actually gain muscle, as in more fibers, unless your training and eating were very specific at maintenance. Otherwise you'd need to be at a surplus.

But, by being at maintenance, you can indeed strengthen the muscles you got while the fat is burning off still. Just a slower weight loss, even if inches off is better.

Since you aren't really going to gain anything at maintenance, might as well make it a deficit to total TDEE including this program, so you can lose that last you want.
    Then when you reach the state of bodyfat that feels right, you can mess with surplus to actually gain muscle.
  • Carolyn_79
    Options

If this close to goal weight also means decently low on bodyfat, you'd be hard pressed to actually gain muscle, as in more fibers, unless your training and eating were very specific at maintenance. Otherwise you'd need to be at a surplus.

But, by being at maintenance, you can indeed strengthen the muscles you got while the fat is burning off still. Just a slower weight loss, even if inches off is better.

Since you aren't really going to gain anything at maintenance, might as well make it a deficit to total TDEE including this program, so you can lose that last you want.
    Then when you reach the state of bodyfat that feels right, you can mess with surplus to actually gain muscle.

O.k., that makes sense. My body fat is around 24-25% so I definitely want to get it lower. If I do a 15% cut from TDEE does that sound decent? That would put be at 1950 calories a day. I'm currently eating 1800 on Chalean Extreme. I only raised it to 1800 5 days ago because I was hungry. I feel a lot better now.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    O.k., that makes sense. My body fat is around 24-25% so I definitely want to get it lower. If I do a 15% cut from TDEE does that sound decent? That would put be at 1950 calories a day. I'm currently eating 1800 on Chalean Extreme. I only raised it to 1800 5 days ago because I was hungry. I feel a lot better now.

I'd suggest 15% deficit now, but in a month on that new program, with even less to lose then, 10% deficit.
  • Carolyn_79
    Options

I'd suggest 15% deficit now, but in a month on that new program, with even less to lose then, 10% deficit.

O.k., thanks for the input! I'll definitely do a 10% cut then.