Should I ditch the scale?

Hi all! You might remember me from when I joined this group waaaaaaay back in March/April. I started eating my appropriate calories for about a week, and then stopped trying (I must not have been in the right mindset, I guess). I did log with great resentment over the summer, on and off. I started New Rules of Lifting for Women, but didn't finish it. (I like lifting, but I don't love it. I'm a distance runner at heart. I still lift 2 times a week, but I'm not following any set program. I do fall back on the exercises from New Rules--like squats, deadlifts, lunges, push-ups, rows--because I like them.) At the end of summer, around July, I gave the e-book about Intermittent Fasting a read and decided to give it a go. For six weeks, I feasted on Friday, fasted on Saturday, and ate 2000-2100 calories every day Sunday-Thursday. I lost no weight overall, and my body didn't shrink very much.

Disappointed, I trotted my sorry butt back here, because before I stopped trying last April, this method was actually working for me. I'm not sure why I quit--maybe because I've been at this whole "weight loss" thing for over two years now and I haven't got a lot in the way of visual improvements to show for it. (I have, on the other hand, become a half-marathoner in that time, and since I only first started running in March 2011 I'd say that's an improvement.)

So, since last April, I've gained ten pounds. (Yikes.) I'm thinking that this must be due to eating, by and large, "normally" over the summer (or at least eating more than I had been, which is to say I've been netting 1300-1400 calories since March 2011). My stats are:

21-year-old female.
163.6 pounds (last Friday).
5'8".
"Very Active" (based on the notion that I am training for another half-marathon, following Hal Higdon's Intermediate plan, in addition to biking 3-5 miles every day back and forth to work and school--is this the right activity level?)
BMR: 1581.
TDEE: 2727.
15% Cut: 2318.

Since I've started eating 2300 calories again, the scale has started creeping up. Expected, right? But I was wondering if, for the next several weeks (or even until November 4th, when I'll be running the half-marathon), anyone would advise just not looking at the scale at all. Ripping the batteries out, putting it away, relying just on pictures and the tape measure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I'm always in favor of ignoring the scale.

I prefer to go by how clothes fit and progress photos, as well as fitness progress.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    If you are paying attention to clothes/measurements.... I would ditch the scale.

I can't really do that yet... it's too hard lol.

If you have the courage to, DO IT. :) You will feel less stressed when it's gone.