Has Anybody Been There/Done That?

Options
kobiemom
kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
I just found out that I'm having surgery on Oct. 2 - hysterectomy by laparoscopy for fibroids. My doctor is telling me that I'll have an easier time losing weight after the surgery. This isn't what I'm hearing from friends who have had it. MD said that the weight gain is a function of low lean muscle mass and decreased activity, not the surgery. She feels that I'll be more active when the laundry list of symptoms I've been putting up with are gone. Since I'm pre-menopausal (at age 55, yeah, I know...), and keeping my ovaries, I'm not facing hormonal problems. Has anyone had a positive weight loss experience following a hysterectomy?

Replies

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Not me, I had mine, a complete hys. in 2003...never dropped a bit, gained 20 more....but I didn't have the fibrioid problem,and I wasn't trying to eat healthy or even count calories.... so that will be where you will have an easier time with losing weight,,,,not being so much pain all the time... and logging and being accountable for what you eat... You WILL have better results !! So don't give up hope!!
    G
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Didn't have it by laparoscopy - had the old fashioned - gut you open like a deer and play around for awhile in 2006. I was slow to get back to exercising but my doc said if I were exercise and maintain a healthy diet I would lose weight. Well I didn't listen - but I will tell you I did feel better - not having all the fibryoids and pain and issues.

Now my sis did have it by laparoscopy and she is doing great. Has so much more energy and is able to do things now that before she couldn't do because of the pain and stuff. She exercises like you won't believe. She doesn't have weight issues (damn her) but she says she wishes she had done it sooner as she has so much more energy to be active.

Good luck...

geri
  • SunnyLynnie
    SunnyLynnie Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy in 2003 as well and also for fibroids. Best thing I ever did! Once I was able to get going again, I did get back to ALMOST the weight I was before all the problems. However, now that menopause has hit, I'm struggling. I think it's a matter of clean eating and everyday exercise.

But don't start exercising again until the doctor tells you to - I got impatient and popped a stitch!