Tall girls and visible weight loss

Options
Hi ladies!

Sorry to be repeating myself since a lot of you are already on my FL, but what was the lbs lost point where people actually noticed your weight loss? (Such as family, friends, coworkers, etc)

I have been going pretty hardcore at weight loss since last winter. I'm 6'0'' and I started at about 238lbs. Nobody noticed ANYTHING and my clothes did not even begin to get lose until I had lost about 20 lbs. Once I got below 200lbs was when people first started making comments at work, but friends of mine still really didn't notice. I am currently about 187lbs and just this past week I have gotten a TON of comments from coworkers, friends, etc. I had friends who I hadn't seen in a month tell me how much weight I've lost, and today at work I've had 5 people call me 'skinny'. I just think it is funny how there is a 'threshold' that you hit and all of a sudden people notice, but for us tall girls it's a pretty damn high threshold!! And crazy to think that I've lost 50lbs and only gone from a size 16 to a size 12!! LOL

Replies

• jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I started out at a much higher weight than you. I am 6'2" and started at 325lbs. I had to lose about 60-70 lbs before anyone really noticed. From then on people started noticing more. Once I got to 210lbs i think i would get comments about every couple of pounnds i lost after that
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    Same here. I'm 6' and started at 302 lbs. I think that it was at about 50 lbs lost that people really started to notice. Except for my husband, because he saw me every day and could tell subtle differences. Now, at 75 lbs down, people really notice.
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I started at a slightly lower weight at 6'0" and 193. Closer friends started noticing around 15-20 pounds gone and other people really starting noticing at the 25lb mark.
  • Jenn152
    Jenn152 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    At 5'11 and a starting weight about 245ish.... it wasnt until I had lost about 25-30 pounds before people really were like... "whoa, have you lost weight?" ahahah yes... I have, quite alot actually ;O)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    At 5'11 I started at 190. People really didn't start noticing until I got to about 160. I'm now 146 and people REALLY notice. Enough to do a "**** girl" look and response...
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    5'11"- started out 215. When I got down to 200- several friends I hadn't seen in a while told me I was looking good, but they didn't identify it as weight loss (so neither did I). Now that I'm hovering between 175-180, people notice and talk to me about it all the time.... even strangers I occasionally run into have mentioned it.

I'd read at 20% loss is when people really start noticing- although I'm not quite there- it's close enough for me to believe.
  • Moyzilla
    Moyzilla Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Close friends and family - about 30 pounds. Took until 50 until other acquaintances started asking if I was losing weight. I look different at 50lbs down but I don't look nearly as different as shorties who lose a comparable amount. Ahh, the tall girl's lament....

PS - Just a hair under 6' started at 270.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'2 and was at 285. People started to notice down about 20lbs. I went down a size at 20lbs less because I'd been working out so much, so I think that's made a big difference.
  • trishajo82
    trishajo82 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It wasn't until I'd lost about 60-70 lbs that people started to make comments. Now at about 85 lbs down it seems I get at least one compliment a day. I still have about 70-80 or so lbs I want to lose, so I look forward to the "comments" then. LOL :) Oh and I'm 6'2. Start weight was 365. Current weight approx 278. I say approx bc right after saw my lowest low of 278 TOM came along and f*cked it all up! LOL :)
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Started at around 210, and it definitely took around 30 pounds before people started to notice. Honestly though, I don't care if people notice that I've lost weight as long as they just think I'm lookin GOOOOOD!!!
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    5'10" started at 253, i've lost 17 pounds so far, and all my clothes still fit, so it's not noticeable. The last time i lost weight, it took me until just over 30 pounds for anyone to notice.

On a side note/positive side, ppl always think i'm lighter than i really am. last weekend my mom asked how the weight loss was going, i told her it was going good, but all the pounds down didn't really show. She asked me if i was under 200 yet, i said, no, i still weigh 237, she was shocked, until i reminded her i'm four inches taller than her.

then she was like, "oh yeah i forgot about that, you have much more area to spread it around i guess" Uh huh, thanks mom!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    5'11" started at 270, I've just recently had those who didn't know I was losing weight say I look good... I'd say about 45lbs. Most people know I've been working hard to lose, so even at 5lbs they told me I look great... I don't know if they were just trying to make me feel encouraged or what. I still see NO difference in my face but I see it in my legs and stomach. I love it but I wish I could see it in my face. My husband says I look so different in the face. I dunno if I believe him.
  • pkiesch
    pkiesch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    At 6', starting at 292 lbs, I really noticed the weight loss after 40 lbs down. By that time, my double chin was gone so it was apparent to others (especially my family) that I had lost weight. Now (at about 164 lbs), every couple pounds is noticeable in the way my clothes fit, but not so much to others.
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. I lost about 15 lbs doing Jillian Michaels and Insanity, and people noticed like almost immediately. I am almost at my goal weight, so I think that is why it is more noticeable.
  • thefrahmers
    Options
    I never told anyone i was trying to lose weight and no one noticed anything until i said something my self. That was 60lbs down. I has lost like 4 sizes - amazing no one had even noticed!
  • insights2
    insights2 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11- took about 30 pounds lost for most people to notice. My goal is 100 pounds, so nearly a third of my goal. I actually didn't dress differently for while too, so that may have had something to do with it. Clothes went from too tight to too baggy, but noone really noticed that change, it was only when I got better fitting clothes....
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and it took like 30 pounds for my co workers to notice. I never told them I was trying to lose weight but they noticed a def slimming. Students I worked around also noticed the difference in my pictures especially in my face. I actually have cheek bones!
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Im a litle under 6'0 and I started out at 335lbs.. people really started to notice around like 280.
  • sterphy
    sterphy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    6' started at 215 two months ago and am now 199. Only a few people have noticed, I feel like I see such a big difference! Hoping another 10 lbs will do the trick ;)
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Personally, my parents noticed almost immediately. It wasn't until I was hovering around 210lbs that my friends noticed, although I hadn't seen them in a few months so that's probably why. My boyfriend says he notices things every day, which IMO is possible because while we live together, I only see him for a good period of time a couple times a week (conflicting work schedules!).

Me, I don't see a change at all from the 283lb 18 year old who graduated in 2007, and now I'm 199.3...