Help! Scared of Deadlifts

Options
Okay this is definitely the hardest part of stage 1 for me. I did the 44 lb bar with squats and it was hard, but I finished all reps so I figured deadlifts would be similar. Wrong! LUCKILY my gym was crazy busy last night, so I started with the 40 lb pre-stacked mini bar. After about 8 reps I realized it was way too heavy, so I switched to 30 lbs and still had to rest twice before finishing the 15. So for the second set I did 20 lbs and still only managed 14 reps. Was all shaky too and I don't want to do these again! Also, looking through the form links again today I think I had my feet a little bit too far apart and maybe tried to go down too far and didn't stick my butt out enough. Also I looked at the bar when lowering instead of ahead. Anyway, I'm actually more afraid of getting injured doing these than I was before I tried them. It seems like there are just way too many form things to remember at once.

Has anyone else felt this way and gotten past it? Is it normal to have your deadlift weight so much lower than your squat weight?

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely more comfortable with squats than deadlifts. I actually pulled a muscle in my back doing deadlifts during Stage 1 and had to take a break for a few weeks.

I pay attention to my form at all times while deadlifting now, and probably don't deadlift as much as I could if I pushed a little harder. I find that it's not the actual lift that is the hardest, it's maintaining correct form while setting the weight down. The most important thing is to keep your core engaged at all times during the lift and do not round your back while setting the weight down.

I agree that deadlifts are kind of scary, and they are the one exercise that I will always choose a weight that is light enough for me to complete every single rep with the best form possible.

I am now squatting and deadlifting 135 pounds and my next goal is to squat and deadlift 170 pounds. I started stage one squatting and deadlifting 65 & 60 pounds, and hurt my back somewhere around 80 pounds.

Sometimes, a little fear is a good thing. Just go slow, pay attention and only advance your weight if you can lift it with proper form.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Okay, I will try again very light. Thank you for posting- I feel a little less unreasonable at least! :heart:
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor who helps train athletes gave me a good tip for deadlifts that might help you. He had me squat. And right before my hips started to rotate under and my back lost it's natural curve, he told me to put my arms down. Where my arms were was how high the deadlift bar needed to be in order to protect your back. I used to have the bar set a couple inches above the floor, but I actually needed it almost one foot off of the floor. I made the correction yesterday for the first time and the deadlifts were a lot easier. I didn't struggle with form as much with that simple correction. Maybe try that as well as a lower weight!
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    ^This....

Although it is not stated in the book (and I think it should be) you really shouldn't do the full deadlift (starting with the squat) until you are over 100 lbs (I think I read somewhere 135). The weights needed for that get the bar far enough off the ground. In stage one, I would use risers for the aerobic steps to raise the pre-weighted bars to maintain form. Since then I have just switched to the Romanian deadlift until I get that heavy. This was at the suggestion of a personal trainer that was helping me with my form.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    I agree w/the above posts. I stack 3 plates to make the bar meet my shins at about the midway point. I also do a small rest & reset inbetweem each rep. I think it helps a lot. And don't forget to grab the bar like you are MAD - I swear it helps keep everything tight and in form.

Happy lifting.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor who helps train athletes gave me a good tip for deadlifts that might help you. He had me squat. And right before my hips started to rotate under and my back lost it's natural curve, he told me to put my arms down. Where my arms were was how high the deadlift bar needed to be in order to protect your back. I used to have the bar set a couple inches above the floor, but I actually needed it almost one foot off of the floor. I made the correction yesterday for the first time and the deadlifts were a lot easier. I didn't struggle with form as much with that simple correction. Maybe try that as well as a lower weight!

Thank you! I could see this helping enormously! You ladies rock!!!:flowerforyou:
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I love deadlifts but I never do them by myself, I feel like I need someone to watch my form. Some tips that my trainer gave me are to keep my shoulders back and not to round out my upper back as I pick the weight up and use my legs more as I rise, also keep your core tight. I'm up to 200 lbs now I can't wait to break through that number! And Definitely get the bar higher!!
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    And make sure that you are pushing your hips forward and pulling your shoulders back at the end of your lift. Your back should never be rounded.
  • curlygirly80
    Options
    I agree w/the above posts. I stack 3 plates to make the bar meet my shins at about the midway point. I also do a small rest & reset inbetweem each rep. I think it helps a lot. And don't forget to grab the bar like you are MAD - I swear it helps keep everything tight and in form.

Happy lifting.

I did deadlifts for the first time last night. I wish I would have come across this post prior to that. I never thought to put plates under the bar. I felt like it was so low. I feel all of the pain (although a good pain) in my legs, I don't feel anything in my lats or back. I will definetly try this on my next B workout.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options

Happy lifting.

I did deadlifts for the first time last night. I wish I would have come across this post prior to that. I never thought to put plates under the bar. I felt like it was so low. I feel all of the pain (although a good pain) in my legs, I don't feel anything in my lats or back. I will definetly try this on my next B workout.

If you use the squat rack, you can use the guards about a foot off of the ground instead of plates. I'm too lazy to move the plates since I DL 110lbs lol.