So Frustrated!!

Options
AABru
AABru Posts: 610 Member
I recently went back to work (I'm a teacher), and my workout time has gone from 1 to 2 hours a day to 30 minutes. I have not been into the gym since August 26. On that workout I did my last workout A for stage one. I have one more Workout B before I rest and move on. Well, I've rested here for a while. I'm not sure if I should just try to move on at this point, or make sure that I do my last workout B and the special workouts and rest again..

I have managed to either walk or do Jillian Micheals power yoga. Don't get me wrong, now that I'm stronger, I can work harder with this video, and 28 minutes is a 200 calorie workout. I was sore after this past Tuesday. My main concern is that I worked my butt off this summer to get through the first stage and get stronger, and now I can't find the time to get it done. I'm frustrated...oh, and I guess I should add that I have 2 kids under 5 and my husband works nights, so the days he works are completely out for lifting for me.

Any tips? Hell, at this point, I'd just be happy to commiserate!

Replies

• heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry! I would just count it as your recovery week(s) and move on. It is really hard to balance work, being a mom, and being healthy. But don't give up!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    If it's something you can swing, highly advise getting some kind of weight set-up at home. Cuts out fully half of the bother/procrastination/stress.

I don't know where you're up to, but you could get a basic set of DBs for ~40-60, and add plates on as & when you need them. Or use a duffel bag, packed with taped-up baggies of measured sand (-> adjustable).
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I agree with the home set up. It changed my life...literally. No more excuses. Even if I oversleep and don't have time in the morning, the weights are still there when I get home...lol.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My workout partner is a teacher, and being able to lift at home (we're also housemates) makes a BIG difference.

The workouts get longer, that may turn out to be a problem for you... We try to keep our workouts quick (lower reps, higher weights) but on the weekends we just relax and do everything and we're in there for 2 hours.

You may eventually consider switching to a different program. I mean really, all you NEED to do is the deadlifts, shoulder press, bench press, and squats. That's your whole body right there and it should go pretty quick if you do 3x4-6. Throw in a few planks and get back to your kids.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have a fair amount of weights at home, but I liked going to the gym because my kids weren't there...it is a huge distraction to watch where you are placing 150 pounds of weight because your 3 year old might be standing right behind you. I know I just need to make the time and do it.

I love the idea of weekends, but usually husband works weekend nights. He is training for a new job right now, and he will be off weekends, so I will take advantage of that.

Polly, I also like the idea of just sticking with big lifts and big weights...maybe I need to look at 5X5. Has anyone done that?
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Most of the gyms around here have some type of playroom or child area provided. I take my kids with me a lot because my husband has odd hours, but I don't worry because they are playing the entire time in the playroom which adjoins the weight area (they are 1,3,4 years old). Perhaps you can find a gym nearby with a setup for kids?