Questions about HIIT & Tabata Method

Options
bcdg24
bcdg24 Posts: 35 Member
Hi!
The small company I work for is extremely generous and has paid for those of us employees that are interested to participate in a small PACK class at our local "Fitness Together" studio for a quarter (it's like a small group fitness session with a personal trainer we share). I am completing the quarter this month and I don't want to continue because my schedule has changed and I want to do more workout on my own.
While at Fitness Together I've learned a lot of exercises and a little bit about the Tabata Method. So my questions are:

1) How do you track a 45-minute HIIT session in your Exercises?

Currently I track as "Circuit Training, general", but it says I only burn 404 calories in 45 minutes. I really fee that I burn more than that, if that's possible.

2) What kinds of exercises do you do in your own workouts, if you do this?

Today I did my own workout, and it consisted of Warmup for 5 minutes (leg swings, arm circles, inch worms, jumping jacks), Workout (4 rounds of exercises, working for 45 min, resting for 15, with a 30-sec jog followed by a minute rest between each round; then 1 min jumping jacks, 1 min jog, 5 min on the elliptical at a high resistence of 10), and Stretching (cooled down by stretching my legs out well with butterfly and yoga stretches). The exercises I did during the "workout" portion were Burpees, Planks, Squats, Squat & Press, Romanian Dead Lifts, & Spiderman Lunges.

Am I on the right track here?

3) How do I know when I'm pushing myself too hard or not enough?

I will essentially become my own trainer, and i'm thinking of doing these workouts (switching up the exercises themselves, but similar format) at least 3 times per week, with added cardio on the weekends. It's essentially the same as what I've been doing at FT (only i was doing it Tue and Thur for 45 min) but i can do it at more convenient times during the week.

4) What do I need to know before I start this on my own?

Replies

• reweldt
    reweldt Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    most of the answers to your questions are posted as topics on past dates, when you think you are ready to move to the next level

than try it. 45-60 minutes HIIT seems a bit much but it depends upon the person. I spent an hour and half in the gym but only count about 20-30 of it HIIT.

your workout suit you then its probably fine, I have not seen one exaclty like that, :) whatever works it best.

as far as calories and counting get a heart rate monitor some machine and some site dont agree and let us know how it goes!!

any day exercising is a great day!!
    group any other comments or ideeasss???