Fitbit, TDEE and NROLFW

3bambi3
3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
I'm a little confused about this. My fitbit says I burn around 1700 calories on non-workout days and around 1900 on workout days. I have set MFP up for me to eat 1900 per day, and I eat a few hundred less on non-workout days. For a cut, does that mean I should eat 15% below the fitbit numbers?

Also, I have been doing NROLFW and the calories in the book say for me to eat 2000-2200, so according to that, the calories I'm at now are my cut values. It seems like there's a 300 calorie difference in what NROLFW is telling me and what my fitbit says I burn.

So what I'm really wondering is: Is the fitbit really accurate in calculating TDEE? What are other NROLFW ladies doing? Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Replies

• Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    I don't know about Fitbits. However I can tell you that that "maintentance" calories in NROL are 15 percent bulking by every other calculator out there. I guess they call it maintenenace so they don't scare away women! And it is true that it's best to lift heavy on bulk diet.

On the other hand, the 300 calorie "deficit" in NROL is called recomposition (lose fat gain muscle) or maintenance everywhere else.

If your Fitbit is giving you your TDEE (and I guess it is but I am not sure) then you ought to eat AT LEAST that number-- that should equal the recomp calories, aka the 300 calorie deficit in the book. If you want to be really sure you're gaining muscle on this program, eat 15 percent greater than your TDEE. (That's TDEE times 1.15)
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    I don't know about Fitbits. However I can tell you that that "maintentance" calories in NROL are 15 percent bulking by every other calculator out there. I guess they call it maintenenace so they don't scare away women! And it is true that it's best to lift heavy on bulk diet.

On the other hand, the 300 calorie "deficit" in NROL is called recomposition (lose fat gain muscle) or maintenance everywhere else.

If your Fitbit is giving you your TDEE (and I guess it is but I am not sure) then you ought to eat AT LEAST that number-- that should equal the recomp calories, aka the 300 calorie deficit in the book. If you want to be really sure you're gaining muscle on this program, eat 15 percent greater than your TDEE. (That's TDEE times 1.15)

Thank you!

So the deficit isn't really a deficit, it's more like maintenance? This makes sense since the deficit numbers are really close to my fitbit numbers.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Yeah. Here's my example of how the numbers compare with the vocabulary.

134 lbs // 5'6" // sedentary

NROL maintenance 1,972 kc (+ on workout days)
    NROL fat loss 1,672 kc (+ on workout days)

Mifflin-St Jeor 15% build 1,851 kc
    Mifflin-St Jeor maintenance 1,609 kc

Scooby gain 1,814 kc
    Scooby recomp 1,674 kc