Tips on substitutions

Options
pdworkman
pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
In most recipes, you can sub arrowroot or tapioca starch for cornstarch or sweet rice flour. Other flours that you can use in the place of grain flours include buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth, legume, root, or plantain flour. You can also use nut flours, but liquids and eggs in the recipe will likely have to be adjusted as well.

Don't forget to add a bit of xanthan gum or alternative if you are starting with a gluten grain bread recipe.

My usual substitution for 2 cups of wheat flour is 1 cup buckwheat, 1 cup tapioca starch, and 1 tsp xanthan gum. Buckwheat is the flour that I find most closely replicates the "stretch" of gluten flours. When my mom used it the first time, she called me to make sure it was gluten-free, because it mixed so much like wheat flour batter. Reading old recipes, I found that the more you beat buckwheat, the more gluten-like it becomes.

If you are worried about cross contamination of buckwheat flour, grind your own. Cross contamination of buckwheat tends to happen at the mill/processing plant, not in the fields or trucks.