Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Coconut Oil - Suggestions?

AnR28
AnR28 Posts: 56 Member
What are some goods brands of coconut oil for paleo/primal eating? Should I be opting for organic, etc.?

Thanks!

Replies

• booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    i LOVE barleans, its super coco-nutty and amazing for cooking veggies in and just eating... otherwise i just buy it from trader joe's or spectrum brand cause its the cheapest and still tastes really good

i think its supposed to be cold-pressed to be better and refining makes for more or less coconut flavor- im not really sure as i never thought much about it!
  • allyjoy83
    allyjoy83 Posts: 176 Member
    I heart the trader joe's coconut oil, personally. I don't think there's really any difference between the oils. Check the ingredients, and if there's anything other than coconut oil in it, don't buy it?
  • domez
    domez Posts: 46 Member
    You are right, refining the coconut oil makes it like all the other processed oils that are no good for us. I find coconut oil dribbled over my berries tastes good.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    I use the Nutiva organic. It can be found at Sunflower Markets and also at Costco.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    I got a gallon from Tropical Traditions online. They have lots of specials. I got the regular expeller pressed stuff. It was listed as "for pets" because it was soon to outdate, I did originally buy it for my dogs, but I use it too, mostly to cook with, as I don't really like the taste of it.
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Nutiva is fantastic because it is the cheapest organic one on Amazon.

I keep seeing complaints about Tropical Traditions that some are rancid when delivered.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    i LOVE barleans, its super coco-nutty and amazing for cooking veggies in and just eating... otherwise i just buy it from trader joe's or spectrum brand cause its the cheapest and still tastes really good

i think its supposed to be cold-pressed to be better and refining makes for more or less coconut flavor- im not really sure as i never thought much about it!

This ^^^^
    I have tried about 6 different brands but will not switch anymore for in my opinion Barlean's is the best tasting! It comes in a dark brown container and I believe that is what helps it retain its flavor. I love it on popcorn especially.
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    I go for the Tropical Traditions myself they have everything and you can pick which you want to try. If you get their newsletter that have free shipping every couple of months which is a great deal since shipping can be expensive! They also have regular sales.
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    I've had nothing but great quality and even better customer service from Tropical Traditions. I even had UPS or FedEx drop a shipment with several glass jars on my porch and crack a few (even though their shipping containers are excellent). I sent an email and had replacements within 2 days.
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Agreed! I am hooked as well - great products, wonderful service.
  • I've purchased Nature's way Efa Gold coconut oil off Amazon twice. About $13 for a 16oz container. I havent tried any others to compare it to but I think it tastes great :)
  • jenjersnapco
    jenjersnapco Posts: 206 Member
    I just buy whatever organic and unrefined coconut oil is on sale - I think I have tried all mentioned here except TT. Maybe my palate is unrefined too because I haven't tasted much difference between the brands.
  • davidlaplante
    davidlaplante Posts: 9 Member
    Obviously organic. That said, I don't think I've ever seen a non organic coconut oil.

I always look for expeller /cold pressed. No point in eating it if it runs the risk of being oxidized in even the slightest way.

Spectrum brand is my preferred brand. Mainly because it's at the local co-op I shop at. : http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=32

It took me a while to adapt to it. That's because it can be ani-bacterial and disrupt your gut flora.

I can eat up to 4 TBSP a day w/o any problems but had to start at 1 TBSP. I tried 6 TBSP one day and got GERD for the first time in my life. Never knew what that was like. Now I know. Sucks.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Nutiva is fantastic because it is the cheapest organic one on Amazon.

I keep seeing complaints about Tropical Traditions that some are rancid when delivered.

I like Nutiva also.

I once ordered Tropical Traditions gold label coconut oil. When I got it, it smelled a little sour and tasted smoky and didn't smell or taste coconutty at all. I posted a comment on their Facebook page because I wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience. They deleted my comment, which wasn't even negative, just curious. And then emailed me telling me that my coconut oil was probably not bad but in fact probably even more nutritious because it probably had more coconut solids in it or something. I don't know. It was definitely not like any other coconut oil I've ever had and not in a good way. At any rate, I didn't like it and I won't be ordering it again.

eta: I did use up the jar (was only 16oz) and as far as I know did not suffer any ill effects.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    I've only used Dr. Bronners and Trader Joe...Trader Joe is my go to since a jar is $6 and the cheapest I have found Dr. Bronners is $8