Any hypo weight loss success stories?

Options
Hi there, im new to this forum so apolgies if this has been asked many times.

I'd like to know if anyone with hypothyroidism is having any success in losing weight and if so what are you doing?

I got diagnosed about 2 years ago (should have really got tested a long time ago) and currently on 150mg of levothyroxine, the most common one in the uk. Finding it really really hard to lose weight, ive always been pretty chubby but have put in major effort in the last 2 years. Pretty healthy eater and have been exercising 4-5 days a week for 30-60 minutes but its not budging. If i dont exercise the pounds start piling on, i was on holiday for 2 weeks and put on half a stone :( Had managed a total of 3 stone off but now at 2 1/2 again. Been trying coconut oil on branflakes during the day, havnt noticed it making any difference boooo

Anyway any info appreciated x

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    1. stay up on your blood tests and get on the right dose

2. Don't give up

3. Think of your eating and your workouts as ways to get healthy. They are worth doing regardless of whether or not you lose weight.

4. Start small. A hypothyroid person does not want to work out or eat less food, because we are HUNGRY and TIRED and cold and grouchy.... Just do what you can. If you don't feel up to working out for an hour, do it for just a half hour, or even ten minutes... just do something. Also, when you're trying to reduce calories, don't go from 2500 calories one day and then all of a sudden get on the MFP train and eat 1300. That just won't work like that. Go from 2500 to 2400 for a week, then 2300, then 2200, then 2100.... until you get to the number of calories you think you should be at.

5. Take a look at your other medications. I used to be on Depakote for migraines and birth control pills. Both of them probably gave me an extra few pounds and losing weight was easier when I got off these meds. Obviously you don't want to stop taking something without talking to your doctor, but read the side effects carefully when you pick up your prescriptions.

I've successfully lost about 20 lbs. I'm not going to pretend it was easy, because I struggled for many months before it came off. You need to be on a healthy lifestyle, regardless of whether or not you lose weight. As you start to build up some muscle and get better nutrition, your body will start to feel better... and weight loss might be a nice side effect of that.

I don't think my thyroid will ever make the right amount of hormones again, but I do find that I have more energy and spunk when I have been working out, getting enough fiber, drinking enough water, and getting the same 8 hours of sleep every night.

Also, if you haven't already, I recommend going to the library. I have a few books by Mary Shomon that are helpful. There are quite a few authors on the subject, but she was an actual patient who has been through what we go through, and it helps to know there are others out there that pull themselves off the couch too.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that reply. Youve done really good losing 20lbs :)

My doctor wont increase my dose, my THS level was 2.7, got it checked every 6 months until it was the same for 2 checks now to go back in a year.

I think i may look at getting some books, good idea. Ive read millions of things on the internet about hypo, lots of various ideas but obvioulsy everyone is different. I dont want it to control my life and have to think about it all the time.
    I also dont have to reduce my calories very much, just stop drinking wine at the weekends and moving my bum more lol

I think everytime i try and find the excuse not to exercise im gonna go back and read this lol DO SOMETHING very good advice
  • 1roseKATgb
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm new to this group but I have been hyypothyroid since 2003. At one point I lost 40 lbs. but I stopped taking my meds for about 4 years!! I've been back on them since 2009- I gained weight again, and so far I've lost about 25 lbs. My dose had to be increased twice, though sometimes I still feel tired. It's frustratingly slow but it can be done- I've ramped up my cardio (I do Insanity!) big time and I also weight train- this boosts your metabolism,too. Don't give up, just eat super clean, do your cardio and lift weights.Hope this helps!!:smile::smile: :smile:
  • sunnymel126
    sunnymel126 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Bumping this so I can keep it for encouragement.
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hi Strawberry,

I have only known I had hypothyroidism since May. I had lost 30 lbs & was stuck. But have successfully lost 9 lbs since then, with 1 lb to go to goal.
    1). Low carb (only unprocessed carbs)/high protein diet is what I use, rotating the calorie amounts so the body doesn't go into starvation mode. IE: 1600/1400/1300/1200 (of course I'm almost 60 & not too tall, so your numbers might be higher)
    2). Gluten-free diet works better for us, and helps weight loss
    Virgin Coconut Oil helps our thyroid & weight loss
    3). Selenium, Vitamin D3 & Oil of Primrose also help
    4). Cardio works against those with thyroidism. It is recommended that we do more strength training, gentler activity, for more effective wt. loss. (I have found this to be true too). But, that saying GET MOVING!
    5). Getting your thyroid symptoms under control is extremely important too. stopthethyroidmadness.com has great info on doing that.

I am not one to ever go off my diet, once I'm focused. The weight loss is so hard-earned, I'm afraid of reversing it... ever.
    I do know (used to be a diet counselor); that alcohol is one of the worst things you can "cheat" with. It wrecks havoc with your body, blood sugar, etc. When clients took a drink on the week-end it took all week to get back to their previous weight loss. And these were young women with no thyroid problems. So, its understandable that the "drink" sets you back for 2 weeks. I'd say its definitely not worth it...

For me, I have a love-hate relationship with food. I loved it for many years, and it hated me back... made me miserable. I had to learn that its not going to comfort me, its going to make things worse. So I set my sights on better things. No turning back for me.

Hope that helps.

There are many threads that discuss tips in this forum. Please read through them!
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Options
    You've gotten some great advice here. I definitely agree with how terrible alcohol is for my body. I look at it and it makes me gain weight, so most of the time I stay far, far away.

The only thing I've not found to be true ( for me) was about cardio exercise making it harder to lose weight. Last year I lost a bunch of weight just from dramatically increasing my cardio ( no diet modifications). Plus I love the way it elevates my mood and reduces anxiety. So if it somehow were to slow down my weight loss, so be it--I'd rather be happy!
  • caro1275
    caro1275 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hi,

This is my first post on this forum group; I was just diagnosed with having hypothyroidism after about 2 weeks ago. I can tell you that pre and post diagnosis everything the poster said below is true for me as well.

In the past I had a wonderful metabolism, but in the past 4 years the pounds piled on quickly (40 lbs on less than 4 yrs). I am a teacher, so I made it my job to lose weight this summer, but noticed it wasn't coming off as easy as it had in the past, (a pound here and there), even though my eating was on point and I was working out everyday. I also felt very sluggish even after 8 hours of sleep and until I went to the gym. I deicded to get my blood work done and sure enough my TSH levels were at a 9.

I am really hopeful that this medication will help stabilize not just my metabolism, but my sluggish energy as well!
    You've gotten some great advice here. I definitely agree with how terrible alcohol is for my body. I look at it and it makes me gain weight, so most of the time I stay far, far away.

The only thing I've not found to be true ( for me) was about cardio exercise making it harder to lose weight. Last year I lost a bunch of weight just from dramatically increasing my cardio ( no diet modifications). Plus I love the way it elevates my mood and reduces anxiety. So if it somehow were to slow down my weight loss, so be it--I'd rather be happy!
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    I've been hypothyroid for years and on and off medication. This year I decided to go ahead and lose the weight, and have so far lost 24 pounds, and gone down a size. I need to lose more, but I didn't put it on all at once, I won't take it off all at once either.

Since I have bad ankles and a very bad foot I don't do cardio per se; I take walks on even surfaces here and there and stop when I start feeling the least hint of soreness. I also do yoga, and that has helped me tremendously.

I agree that eating lower on the glycemic index really helps.
  • BWinsto1
    BWinsto1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Gluten free, soy free, dairy free diet along with exercising at least 5 days a week has helped me. My diet consists of whole foods such as fruits, nuts, veggies, and meat ( chicken, pork, fish, turkey, beef). I also stay on top of my doctor appointments and such. Also, I drink nothing but water and TRY to avoid sweets and sugar.
  • strawberrytoast
    Options
    Brilliant replies people!!

Im been away for a few weeks and misbehaving (have managed to put about 7lbs on since this post) So now no more holidays left back to working extra hard, and you hypos know how hard you gotta work to shift it.

Everyones stories of loosing the weight is a great encouragment not just to me but to others, so keep up the brilliant work.

Any more tips/advice/personal stories welcome :)
  • jroseonline
    jroseonline Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    hi there! i was diagnosed with hypo back in 2009 after giving birth to my 3rd son. I gained about 40+ lbs. I was originally put on levoxyl, that didn't work out so well for me as I was still constantly tired, exhausted, all the symptoms and on top of that kept gaining weight!

Found an endo who put me on armour and a year ago on oct. 1, 2011, I started my first successful weight loss journey. As of today, i am down 30lbs, still on armour thyroid, run 2 miles/ walk on incline for 1 mile a day, watch my food intake and hoping to lose the last 12lbs to my goal weight.

I posted a success story in the general board which includes pictures.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/690731-from-168lbs-to-139lbs-pics-w-hypothyroidism

one of my biggest piece of advice for those with hypo, keep talking to your doctor until you are on the right treatment, then with dedication and patience, you will get there! good luck!
  • strawberrytoast
    Options
    You have done absolutely fantastically!! well done massive achievement :bigsmile:

I think im going to ask my doctor next time about armour, ive heard many stories about it. In the UK its not very common but i think we can still get it if we push for it. I went from a TSH level of 150 to now 2.7 and i dont feel any different whatsoever after 2 years of taking levothyroxine. I told my doctor this last time and he said- oh well your levels are fine and checked for antibodies which came back fine. The most annoying for me is the tiredness and the freezing cold feet/hands.
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Contrats Jrose! You look fabulous!

Strawberry... have you checked out stopthemadness.com ? It sounds like you may have adrenal fatigue, which would stop you from getting the benefit from your thyroid meds.... that's what happened to me. Treatment for adrenals is pretty important. I'm getting treatment through a naturopath.
  • strawberrytoast
    Options
    Contrats Jrose! You look fabulous!

Strawberry... have you checked out stopthemadness.com ? It sounds like you may have adrenal fatigue, which would stop you from getting the benefit from your thyroid meds.... that's what happened to me. Treatment for adrenals is pretty important. I'm getting treatment through a naturopath.

Ive had a more thorough look into Armour and apparently the doctors wont give it out in the uk booo, might ask him about another T3 type one to try and see if that makes a difference. I have seen stopthemadness its a great site. Never thought about adrenal fatigue- had a wee google at it there and did a (long) test and it says i may be mildy/moderate so thats another thing to look at. What sort of treatment do you get for it? Its pretty late here so ill look into it again tommorrow. thanks x
  • lizzyriver
    lizzyriver Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been hypo for the past 6 years after graves and hyper for 5 years before that. I can't seem to budge a pound. I will try really hard for a few months, and then stop but my weight does not change. But thankfully I am not gaining. It just seems to stay the same with in 3-4 lbs no matter what I do. I'm now trying to eat cleaner and look hard at portion control. Dr up'd my synthroid about 6 months ago and new tests are within normal range. Hang in there! I'm not giving up but geez its frustrating.
  • debbylee22
    Options
    I'm taking Isocort for it. There are other things that you can take also. You can order it yourself, if no-one will prescribe for adrenals. The book (stopthethyroidmadness) says Dr's only have been taught about "extreme" cases of adrenal problems, such as some debilitating diseases (sorry, can't remember the names). So they won't test for adrenal fatigue, or treat it. But there is lots of info in that book & others, and of course online. Terry also is being treated for adrenal fatigue. Hopefully she will give you some suggestions too. :flowerforyou:
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of Debbylee's information regarding diet and weight loss. I started Paleo/Primal in January of this year and have since lost 40 lbs, most of it within 12 weeks. I am now in my normal weight range. I'm 5'10" and 153 lbs, so I really didn't have that much to lose. My ultimate goal weight is 140 with muscle, and the lowest healthy weight is around 132 lbs but I won't be going there.

I take Armour Thyroid, D3, EPO, Selenium, Zinc and soon I'll also be taking Cod Liver Oil for joint protection.

I eat all meats from reputable sources, including beef, buffalo, chicken, turkey, eggs, fish and other seafood. I eat a lot of veggies, a little bit of fruit, nuts, seeds, and healthy fats like coconut oil/butter/manna, avocado, olive oil, and butter/ghee. I avoid dairy because it gives me hayfever and wheezing when I work out.

I currently am doing a Paleo Autoimmune Protocol which excludes eggs, nuts, seeds, alcohol, all nightshade vegetables (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers of all sorts, and spices from peppers like paprika), and NSAIDS. This is to reduce and pinpoint the inflammation I still occasionally get in my joints, namely my ankles and fingers. It's only for 30 days and then I can reintroduce each food to see the results. It's very strict but it's really to pinpoint problematic foods. I am still trying to get used to not doing a lot of cardio but instead doing more strength training and I really cannot complain about that part. My diary is open if you'd like to take a peek. My last cheat was on Monday, right before I started the protocol, and I'm still feeling the affects from it (crepitus).

More information can be read at the following sites:
    http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/05/modifying-paleo-for-autoimmune.html
    http://robbwolf.com/2012/05/18/paleo-autoimmune-illness/
    http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/10/04/whole30-self-care-edition-10412/
    http://balancedbites.com/2012/08/faq-all-about-the-book-practical-paleo.html
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    It's doable. I'm losing weight. It's slower to get it off but it is going down regardless at a rate of 1 lb or so a week. I think exercise is crucial for people with hypo as well as their medication. I take NP thyroid.
  • nicosland
    nicosland Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroid at the age of 10, I'm now 34. I have lost as much as 80 pounds and that was about 8 years ago. I gained that back after I stopped exercising and eating healthy.

However, I started a lifestyle change in March of this year and since then have lost 60 pounds and even though my thyroid was off for most of that. I've had my dose increased twice in the past 4 months and am getting more bloodwork done in the next few weeks to see if the newest dose is working for me. I'm up to a 225 dose of synthroid at the moment.

I haven't done low carb or any particular plan except to track calories, exercise regularly (C25K and step aerobics) and try to eat healthier foods (not eating as much takeout has helped quite a bit and staying away from super grease).

I'm decreasing weight gradually so that my daily calorie allotment stays at a sustainable level (where I'm not starving all the time and where I don't feel deprived) and so far it's been working. I haven't hit a plateau yet, I'm not looking forward to that, but I'm in the mindset that the weight gain didn't happen overnight so if it takes me a year or two years I just need to go with it as it has to be a permanent lifestyle change and not a temporary one.

I still have about 40 pounds I'd like to lose and then once I get to that I will reassess my health and happiness. Hopefully I will be able to attain that weight loss within the next year.

I wish you success in your weight loss. I don't know if it is different for people who have had hypothyroid for most of their lives versus those who have been diagnosed as adults? They did try to take me off synthyroid for a few weeks when I was in my mid-teens to see if my thyroid would begin to work by itself but it didn't so they had to put me back on them.
  • debbylee22
    Options
    I agree with all of Debbylee's information regarding diet and weight loss. I started Paleo/Primal in January of this year and have since lost 40 lbs, most of it within 12 weeks. I am now in my normal weight range. I'm 5'10" and 153 lbs, so I really didn't have that much to lose. My ultimate goal weight is 140 with muscle, and the lowest healthy weight is around 132 lbs but I won't be going there.

I take Armour Thyroid, D3, EPO, Selenium, Zinc and soon I'll also be taking Cod Liver Oil for joint protection.

I eat all meats from reputable sources, including beef, buffalo, chicken, turkey, eggs, fish and other seafood. I eat a lot of veggies, a little bit of fruit, nuts, seeds, and healthy fats like coconut oil/butter/manna, avocado, olive oil, and butter/ghee. I avoid dairy because it gives me hayfever and wheezing when I work out.

I currently am doing a Paleo Autoimmune Protocol which excludes eggs, nuts, seeds, alcohol, all nightshade vegetables (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers of all sorts, and spices from peppers like paprika), and NSAIDS. This is to reduce and pinpoint the inflammation I still occasionally get in my joints, namely my ankles and fingers. It's only for 30 days and then I can reintroduce each food to see the results. It's very strict but it's really to pinpoint problematic foods. I am still trying to get used to not doing a lot of cardio but instead doing more strength training and I really cannot complain about that part. My diary is open if you'd like to take a peek. My last cheat was on Monday, right before I started the protocol, and I'm still feeling the affects from it (crepitus).

More information can be read at the following sites:
    http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/05/modifying-paleo-for-autoimmune.html
    http://robbwolf.com/2012/05/18/paleo-autoimmune-illness/
    http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/10/04/whole30-self-care-edition-10412/
    http://balancedbites.com/2012/08/faq-all-about-the-book-practical-paleo.html
    Thanks Cerebrus for your post. I have been "close" to paelo, but haven't been able to give up a few non-gluten grains. I think I'll give it a try today. But I have issues with "processed" meats & salts, as well as eggs & dairy, so my choices are narrowed pretty bad.
    Could be an interesting day! :laugh:
    Thanks again,
    Debby