A1C after stopping meds

Options
chipper15173
chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
I was taken off my victoza 3 months ago. had my A1C done today. it was 5.9. yea, i get to stay off my meds now.

Replies

• Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Great job. Congratulations!
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!!!'!!!!!!!!!!!
  • wcucats77
    Options
    Congratulations!!! I know you feel great. Do you think the medicine was the primary reason or did you really follow a strict nutrition regimen and exercise? Reason, I ask, I had a reading 1 month ago of 6.5 with fasting glucose of 101. So, I have been very strict with food, lost 10 pounds in 3 and half weeks and exercise intensily 6 days a week. Going back in November for retest and my goal is to get my numbers back to what they have been for every test for last 5 years; 5.6- 5.8.

Not on medication. So, would appreciate you giving me more background on your success. What was your last few test readings?

Again, many congrats and keep up the good work.
  • mluanne33
    mluanne33 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Congrats !!!!! That is also my goal, to get off my meds. Last A1C reading was 6.7 down from 7.4 Still have a ways to go, but determined to do it. Thanks for the encouragement !!!
  • chipper15173
    Options
    wcucats....i have either been counting carbs or weight watcher to lose my weight. i also exercise 6 days a week. i haven't had an A1C over 6 in many years. i just recently changed doctors. the new one is the one who took me off my meds. the old one kept telling me that's why my numbers were low and wouldn't let me try. i do watch my carb intake closely. i know what raises it and keep those foods for occasional times. i don't deny myself anything. it's all balance and finding the right balance for you.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Congrats Chipper. Keep up the great work!
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Fantastic.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    This is great! I hope to one day get off my meds. Thanks for posting.
  • wcucats77
    Options
    Chipper... Thanks a million or atleast my goal to find out why my A1C went from 5.8 to 6.5 number. So with your response you have given me feedback that shows how important nuitrition and exercise is to controlloing this monster named diabetes.

My mother who is 80 was diagnosed at age 57 and was able to stay off medication untill 1 year ago. Thats when she went on metafornin. To follow her lead of watching her nuitrition and exercise, is exactly what you are doing successfully.

Again congrats!!!
  • chipper15173
    Options
    thanks everyone.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is great news. I've been off my meds for exactly two months and am very anxious to see the results of my A1C next month. You've given me hope that it's possible to keep it the normal range sans meds.

Question: Did you keep your diet/exercise routines the same after coming off the meds or did you become even more strict with your diet and ramp up the exercise to make up for what the medicine was doing?
  • chipper15173
    Options
    Congrats! That is great news. I've been off my meds for exactly two months and am very anxious to see the results of my A1C next month. You've given me hope that it's possible to keep it the normal range sans meds.

Question: Did you keep your diet/exercise routines the same after coming off the meds or did you become even more strict with your diet and ramp up the exercise to make up for what the medicine was doing?

everything stayed the same. i haven't changed anything in diet/exercise since jan this year.
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    this is very motivating, thx for posting. I have blood work drawn tomorrow to see how things are going. I was down to 5.9 last time, hoping for at least as well again but scared to death I've become to comfortable with my program. I keep looking at my log and I don't think my numbers have changed much since last quarter but I'm still nervous as a cat.

Wish me luck.
  • jenie70
    jenie70 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is great! Great job. I was diagnosed 3 years ago with diabetes type 2. My A1C was 6.0, I just did bloodwork, hopefully I get good news tomorrow.
  • B1gH0g
    B1gH0g Posts: 361
    Options
    Congratulations! I hope to follow in your foot steps!