building muscle

Options
Does anyone here lift heavy? I find that it sucks at first, but after awhile, as I get more muscle, my hormones seem to be more stable... Is this my imagination, or does this happen for anyone else?

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Lifting definitely helps -- it's slower and doesn't burn a lot of calories like cardio, but it makes you stronger and I do feel it helps in general with hypo symptoms. I've been lifting for almost a year - even though I am 60 years old, I've put on a LOT of muscle.

I am a cardio freak as well -- and everything I've read is that intense cardio is not good for hypothyroid people. I try to calm myself from being too intense, but I love it so much!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't think cardio is bad for us. I think we need it just like anyone else. I just find that the strength training gives me a different set of benefits. With cardio, I can get away with eating more sugar than I normally could. With strength training, I just feel more stable overall; like I have less highs and lows.

Of course, working out is really hard to get started on, but after several months of doing it, I do feel better in general.
  • dbgtgirl210
    dbgtgirl210 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    A bit ago I started lifting and I like it. At first I was mainly doing cardio, but now I find that lifting is something that I'm into. Really hoping that a mixture of cardio and lifting can help me to get back in shape. Went from Hyper to Hypo. No longer have a thyroid gland and would really like to get back in shape.

Noticed that my biggest problem is my upper body. My arms are starting to get better, but wondering how else I can tone up. Did not know that too much cardio isn't good for people hypothyroidism. Thanks for the info :)