How to strengthen forearms and grip?

Options
Hi. This is my first post on this board. I am running into problems with my lifts. My right wrist/arm (not left) gives out on me during some lifts. My big muscle groups aren't being challenged because I can't lift more because of this. I started paying attention, I noticed that I have a habit of turning my wrist out of alignment on my right side, probably because of weakness when I lift with it. It's really noticeable on things like shoulder presses and bench presses. But I do it on Rows too. When I do these moves, I tighten everything but my back never feels like I had a good workout because my wrist gives out long before my back will feel anything. So I want to strengthen that arm/wrist (really both sides), but right now, I am not doing any isolated muscle lifts, just big compound movements like squats, lunges, inverted rows, standing military press, bench press, push ups, deadlifts, etc.

What should I do to strengthen that arm/wrist? If anyone else has had this issue, I would be interested to know what you did.

Thanks,

Natalie

Replies

• Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I don't have any tips, but I'm also interested in what people have to say because I have the same problem, but with my left wrist. (I broke it years ago, and I guess I always favored it since then and just never noticed until I started doing weight training.)
  • traceyoaten
    Options
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for!!! Thanks!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    1 arm rows
    deadlifts
    plate holds/plate pinches

Those wrist curls in the link might be good for growing the forearm a little but they wont do much for your grip strength/
  • Anelda
    Anelda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Also, as these haven't been mentioned, farmer's walks. Not only are they great for developing grip and forearm strength, but they're a great functional exercise as well.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    i was annoyed at first because I thought I could increase my squats/etc faster, but my grip was holding me back...

Then realized I just need to be patient and my grip will catch up.

It's getting there. I only use gloves for deadlifts, not because of grip but because of sweat =/
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    farmers walk
    and without gloves your grip is tighter so it's stronger
    I have ditched the gloves and make sure my hands are dry before I start deadlifting (no chalk at my gym just paper towels to dry hands)
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I don't use gloves or chalk. I hadn't thought about plate pinches, farmer walks, or single arm rows. I already deadlift - that's actually my very favorite. :bigsmile: I'll do some of the other things though. Thanks again everyone!
  • vanillarama
    vanillarama Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've heard endless good stuff about these, I'll probably get some at some point:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fat-Gripz/dp/B003TODTQG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347640950&sr=8-1