Carb Loading

Options
HMVOL7409
HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
6 weeks out from my first 1/2! Having read up on many things regarding training one thing I can't get a firm grip on is whether carb loading is truly neccessary. Many sites say its a myth then you'll have others say its beneficial. What's everyone's take on it? I'm not afraid of carbs whatsoever and actually increased my carbs to 50% when my training became more intense. I'm also not trying to lose weight as I've been in maintenance since June. Just with the reading it says to carb load up to 80-90% 2-3 days out from the race and I'm wondering if that will hurt me more with the added water weight? I am hypoglycemic and do worry about my sugars dropping near the end so maybe it will help in that area? Uh, who knows.

Replies

• bridies01
    bridies01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably different for everyone. Everything I read says to skip the night before huge pasta dinner, but to make sure you are eating a fair amount of carbs a couple days before, to make sure you have good glycogen stores. I think the water that gets stored with the glycogen might even be an asset?

I ran a 15 mile race Labor Day weekend. I didn't purposefully carb load, but I didn't watch my carb intake as close as usual - I could be a total carboholic, so I try not to generally eat as much as I would like to :)

I do know that when I do long runs first thing in the morning before I eat anything, vs in the afternoon after having a breakfast of egg whites, bagel thin, and laughing cow wedge, I feel a lot better for those afternoon runs. I just don't get up early enough in the morning to eat before I run.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering the same thing, my half marathon is actually this Sunday!!! I don't think I'm going to carb load per se...if anything instead of having 1/2 cup of brown rice with my breakfast, I ate 1 cup. I plan on increasing my carbs slightly today and tomorrow but I don't plan on going overboard!!
  • bridies01
    bridies01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering the same thing, my half marathon is actually this Sunday!!!

Good luck in your race!
  • runningfromzombies
    Options
    I always eat Italian food the night before a race. Pasta, calzone, deep dish pizza...something very carb-y. At this point I can't tell if it's just superstition and placebo affect that helps, or if the Italian food really does work. :wink:

My suggestion would be to try carb-loading the night before one of your long runs, before your half-marathon, and see how the next day's run goes. If better than usual, great--do it the night before your race. If it doesn't make a difference or detracts in any way, then don't. I think it's a matter of personal experimentation, though my firm belief in the science behind it is what led me to it in the first place.

Good luck on your half! (:
  • KWKY
    KWKY Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering the same thing, my half marathon is actually this Sunday!!! I don't think I'm going to carb load per se...if anything instead of having 1/2 cup of brown rice with my breakfast, I ate 1 cup. I plan on increasing my carbs slightly today and tomorrow but I don't plan on going overboard!!

So's mine, are you doing the Sydney Running Festival HM?

I am eating jaffa cakes today - apparently the food of endurance athletes (I don't care, I just love them and those cals will be burnt up in no time tomorrow :D
  • Calvinsgrl1
    Calvinsgrl1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think that it helps and your body naturally craves them when you are training. I had oatmeal before and 1 gel pack 15 min before my race today and one half way through and made a good time. Last night just had some rice with my veggies and chicken. I read 70% of your cal the few days before should come from complex carbs 10% from protien.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I've been testing it out the last few LR and it's definitely helped. I only up to about 60% the day before and I've had plenty of stamina and never felt tired and even hold a consistent pace that I hope to keep come race time. I don't think I need more than this; as I've seen even up to 85% recommended the night before a 1/2. Thanks for the help!