Chalean Extreme -- lean circuit 3

Options
vsetter
vsetter Posts: 558 Member
So --- I am not allowed to do push ups and/or chest work (per doctors orders). So I am sure that it is no surprise when I say that Lean Circuit 3 is pretty uneventful for me (and my calorie burn is less than the others in the series). I have been doing the exercises (just finished week 2), but I have been using 5 pounds for the lifting and have been doing planks in place of push ups.

What I am wondering --- is it even worth doing these exercises in this way? Should I be replacing Lean 3 with something else, maybe Lean 1? Or another circuit all together?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• lashwish
    Options
    I think planks are hard though they certainly dont hit all muscles PUs do.
    lean 1 has a bunch of PUs too though, I know as I just did it!

Most replacement involve chest flys & other exercises it doesnt sound like you're supposed to do either.
  • vsetter
    Options
    You've got it --- I am supposed to avoid any and all chest work. I feel like I am missing out on a huge part :)
  • chojolitos
    Options
    So --- I am not allowed to do push ups and/or chest work (per doctors orders).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    You know the saying better be safe than sorry. Maybe you should do another type of exercise while you chest area gets better to follow CLX.
    Sincerely, VIo:flowerforyou:
  • lashwish
    Options
    You've got it --- I am supposed to avoid any and all chest work. I feel like I am missing out on a huge part :)

Well you kind of are but if your Dr is saying it then its probably for the best. How long do you need to avoid them for? Maybe you could switch programs until you can get back at it w/o mods. Sorry I know it stinks!
  • vsetter
    Options
    I'm kind of stuck with this forever. I had breast cancer/mastectomy/reconstruction. Doing push ups and chest work could damage the area and the reconstruction work. Every now and again I try a single push up to see if I can do it, but otherwise I am nervous and not willing to chance it. What about Push 1? It would mean doing biceps and triceps twice during the week, but there would be plenty of days between Lean 1 (Monday) and Friday to recover?
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    What if you go back and do Burn 3? I can't remember that far back what that workout involves but it's compound moves just like in Lean 3. Just try to go heavier if you can and try to get to 10-12 reps.

I wouldn't chance it either, after what you've been through.
  • lashwish
    Options
    I dont think there is any harm in trying a different phase's circuit if you cant do pushups. Thats pretty much what lean for life is about

Sorry to hear about your breast cancer but hopefully your surgery means its gone!
    I wouldn't chance it either. There is no point at which it will be healed completely though, like in a yr or something?

I also wouldnt worry about working same muscle groups as I feel like they are worked in different ways. My tris are strong but Lean 1 kills me!
  • vsetter
    Options

Sorry to hear about your breast cancer but hopefully your surgery means its gone!
    I wouldn't chance it either. There is no point at which it will be healed completely though, like in a yr or something?

I hope that it is gone too!!!

I suppose the more time that passes, the more healed I will be. Unfortunately, the skin is very thin and because of radiation, my circulation (and healing to the area) is also poor. Some women have told me that using the chest muscles can cause internal damage to the area that was created. My doc told me that it can distort the appearance and possibly reduce the life span of the implant itself (because it is under the muscle).

Oh well.