What will I need?

follmer20
follmer20 Posts: 129 Member
I am getting the book tomorrow. We have a bench, some weights, 2 sets of dumbells, and bars...will I need anything else or should that be good?

Replies

• chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 574 Member
    You'll need an exercise ball, something to use for a step (You can use the bench, but I think in later stages a real step is required. I use a chair.) and eventually a squat rack.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    You'll need an exercise ball, something to use for a step (You can use the bench, but I think in later stages a real step is required. I use a chair.) and eventually a squat rack.

Really? There's no alternative for a squat rack? I guess at that point, I'll have to start back at the beginning or move on to something else. :(
  • chicbuc
    Unless you have someone to help spot and get the bar to your shoulders, you need a squat rack. Not right away, though.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Unless you have someone to help spot and get the bar to your shoulders, you need a squat rack. Not right away, though.

I may be able to talk my husband into helping. :) He'd prefer spotting me than buying a squat rack. Besides, my workout area - which is a good size and takes up about 1/4 of our basement - doesn't have enough space left for anything else. :)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    For those hoping to do this routine at home, here's a list:
    * Olympic barbell: 7ft. long bar weighing 45lbs.
    * Full set of barbell plates, including 2.5lb. plates
    * Full set of dumbbells, ideally in 2-3 lb. increments
    * Squat Rack (I'm not kidding, you'll need one)
    * Incline/Decline Bench
    * Step Platform with multiple risers (I use 16 total for the step-ups)
    * Swiss Ball, also know as a stability ball or exercise ball
    * Chin-up/Pull-up bar (used in Stage 6 which is optional)
    * Adjustable Cable Pulley Station: the author does provide limited alternatives if you don't have access to this apparatus but then goes on to list reasons why the alternatives are flawed.

This is the equipment needed to follow the program exactly as written.
  • chicbuc
    I would LOVE to have everything on that list, Bizco, but I'm working with a budget...lol. I do the alternative exercises, I use a chair for step ups, and I only have a standard bar. I'm still working the program, though...and loving it!